AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AMD 64 X2 PC is currently using an MSI 9400GT video card. It works perfectly for Windows apps and Media Center recordings. PC is rock-solid. I also use it for one "game". A radio control (RC) aircraft simulator. While it works, it could probably use a little more power in the video card department. I'm looking at either an ATI HD5770 or NVIDIA GTX 460. I had bad luck with ATI a couple years back. Stuttering video for media center. So I'm gun-shy of ATI. But I can say my wife has an HP notebook with ATI HD4200 IGP that plays MC recordings just fine.

Both cards will require a PS upgrade as well. Reading reviews on these cards shows that about 5-10% of buyers either have immediate problems-- DOA, BSODs, and other problems. Either out of the box or after a few days to weeks.

I recently put in a Sapphire HD5770 Flex card in my work PC but it is running Vista Business so no Media Center to test playback of MC recordings. We also have a "utility" PC in the lab at work using an NV GTX-200-series card. Running Win 7 64. It DOEs play Media Center recordings smoothly at near zero CPU usage (Core-I7).

Any comments pro or con regarding NV GTX-460 or ATI HD5770? Especially for MC recordings. Using 1920 x 1200 monitor.

Cost of the upgrade is about the same.

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
202 Posts
For video file playback, both cards are overkill. Lower end models from both will be able to playback any 1080p file you throw at it. So your comparison, with cards at that level, should be regarding gaming, not HD video playback, which now-a-days really isn't that tasking of a task for modern video cards. I have a ATI 5450 in both of my HTPCs, and have never experienced stuttering problems (though I did with an onboard HD3200 paired with a lower end, 4 year old AMD CPU). So I would not let past prejudice against ATI color your view of things today. Instead, I'd recommend comparing which one is better for the gaming you want to do, and which one can you get for cheaper, and do a value analysis for your situation.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew c /forum/post/19552131

For video file playback, both cards are overkill. Lower end models from both will be able to playback any 1080p file you throw at it. So your comparison, with cards at that level, should be regarding gaming, not HD video playback, which now-a-days really isn't that tasking of a task for modern video cards. I have a ATI 5450 in both of my HTPCs, and have never experienced stuttering problems (though I did with an onboard HD3200 paired with a lower end, 4 year old AMD CPU). So I would not let past prejudice against ATI color your view of things today. Instead, I'd recommend comparing which one is better for the gaming you want to do, and which one can you get for cheaper, and do a value analysis for your situation.

Hi Andrew,

I have one MoBo with an IGP HD3200. It stutters too. My concern stems from purchasing two HD3870 cards a while back. Relative monster video cards at that time. Paid like $269 for each of them when first out. Stuttering was awful on 1080i network programs. I was led down every path possible. Bottom line is those cards AT THAT TIME were NFG for MC use. In actuality I'm sure it was the Catalyst driver. Replaced one with an HD3450 for $39! Smooth playback as long as sound was from line out. HDMI sound never worked properly. Got sound but video would stall for seconds! As would sound. Used this for a while for playback with line out sound. Eventually switched to NV GT 9400. No problem other than locating an S/PDIF cable. Have been satisfied 100% for MC and DVD playback. Use a Pany BD player for BD. The GTX-460 is a few bucks more than the HD 5750 but not enough to swing the decision. I want good image, smooth MC RTV playback and a moderate improvement for gaming for my sim AND stability. Both cards should do fine IF they provide stutter-free MC playback and don't give BSODs. I may borrow the HD5770 from work the next long weekend and try it out.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm really looking for horror stories one way or the other. Reviews are comparable. 5-ish. But those few percent... I don't want to go there.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19567237

What Andrew said.

+1

I have used every HD series card from ATI without any problems.
HD2000 (AGP), HD3000 (don't own anymore), HD4000 & HD5000 (currently using).

I understand that many users have had major issues with ATI against none with Nvidia.

However, I have used a variety of cards over an extended period of time without major problems. This cannot be deemed to have been user luck and a one-off good experience. The technology does work.

Also, I have a HD3200 IGP that has been flawless for me with OTA HD, HD-DVD & BD playback. And it is paired with a low-power (45W) dual-core. No stuttering.

Something else is going on with your system.

What CPU do you have?

And OS?

·
Registered
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/19567396

Also, I have a HD3200 IGP that has been flawless for me with OTA HD, HD-DVD & BD playback. And it is paired with a low-power (45W) dual-core. No stuttering.

i'm going to agree that there could be something else going on with your setup.

i have the HD3300 IGP paired with an AMD 9600 quadcore and i've never had any stuttering or any other video issues with any video playback. bluray, ota... no problems.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/19567396

+1

I have used every HD series card from ATI without any problems.
HD2000 (AGP), HD3000 (don't own anymore), HD4000 & HD5000 (currently using).

I understand that many users have had major issues with ATI against none with Nvidia.

However, I have used a variety of cards over an extended period of time without major problems. This cannot be deemed to have been user luck and a one-off good experience. The technology does work.

What CPU do you have?

And OS?

AMD 64 FX2 at 2.2 GHz.

Was Vista 32-bit during the HD3870 "experiment". Seven now (32-bit).

CPU usage bounces around but averages about 15%. While recording four programs and watching one. That is with the NV 9400 card. CPU usage was not high during the HD3870 period either.

I also tried an HD4350 card. Same stuttering.

Again no stuttering on HP notebook with the HD4200. And the HD3450 did not stutter. Just no usable HDMI sound.

Honestly I think it was CCC. For all I know a recent CCC driver would work fine with the HD3870 cards I sold.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2lounge /forum/post/19567494

i'm going to agree that there could be something else going on with your setup.

i have the HD3300 IGP paired with an AMD 9600 quadcore and i've never had any stuttering or any other video issues with any video playback. bluray, ota... no problems.

Again maybe it was all a driver issue. Drove me (and others) nuts at the time.

I had one system with an MSI 64 FX2 MoBo with HD3200 IGP. Same stuttering. Disabled it an installed a 9400 NV card and no stuttering. That MoBo died several months back so I can't test it with a newer driver. I replaced it with a card with low-end NV IGP. It is mothballed right now. I didn't noticed severe stuttering but I think it did not run as smooth. Noticed some jerkiness on the news tickers for example. I would have to run more tests to be sure but really it is just a backup system.

This stuttering occurred only on CBS and NBC network prime time 1080i HD programs. Like CSI, NCIS, Cold Case, Law and Order, etc. Both live and recorded. ABC, Fox, and PBS at 720P were fine.

MC recordings (DVR-MS at the time) played back with Media Player showed the same stuttering in the exact same places. So you would think they were recorded badly. This is what I chased for months. Wrong. I kept many of these programs while I tested different cards, drivers, etc. Switching out the ATI cards to NV cards played them perfectly! And a NV 9400 GT has way less graphics processing power than an ATI HD3870.

It's all kind of moot at this point. I'm just gun-shy of CCC. I am not alone.

Thank you hirent and k2lounge for commenting.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone interested,

I decided to go for the EVGA GTX-460 SC.

Other than the fact I needed to replace the PSU as well (no surprise) the upgrade was painless. Works as expected.

My RC Flight Simulator now can run at 150-250 frames per second!

No downside for everyday use.

With Windows desktop loaded after booting, power is about 125W. An increase of about 15W over the 9400 card.

Watching a 1080i MC program (upconverted to 1080p) in MC power is 190-ish W.

Running RealFlight 5.5 flight sim results at about 220W.

The fan is quiet. Probably other "games" would get it going. I don't know. Don't have any.

No apps loaded, GPU temp runs around 30 o C. The FS gets it up to around 50.

These numbers are all nominal since the system usage is always spiking so the numbers bounce around.

Recommended but not for a lower power HTPC. I know systems can run well below 100W.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts