AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What graphics cards that i can buy these days support TV-out in Linux?

Both X11 and framebuffer is of interest.

I know that the Matrox 400 has the best TV-out support but i have nor been able to find one (used or new)

/Magnus

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have successfully used TV out on my Geforce2 MX.

The quality is horrible, although i'm not sure if the card, drivers, or TV are to blame. I think i'm just going to invest in a HDTV transcoder.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm using the matrox g450. Not an expensive card. It works well in framebuffer tv-out mode. You need to patch the current vanilla kernel, and you need mplayer. (or xine will do, so i've heard) . Quality is decent, and would be perfect (at least on my not-so-expensive tv) if there was a way to wait for vertical sync. However such a thing is in the making (and maybe already works with the current directfb, (see www.directfb.org ). If I could get that running then it would be perfect for me. One caveat though, at the moment you cannot use matrox' hardware scaler, so scaling is done in software. However on my duron1300 that is no problem for divx/dvd. If you have a slow pc, it might be inconvenient though.

sorry for the long reply... anyway see the matrox cards thread in this forum for some more info

regards

Bas

·
Registered
838 Posts
Somehow the old G450's are more expensive than new retail GeForce4 MX440 64MB AGP cards with TV-out which are listed around $47 shipped on Pricewatch. I believe nVidia's Linux drivers support the TV-out function, though I've never used one. I have an old AGP TNT with TV-out but my current HTPC is only PCI so I can't test it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.