AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hooking up a PC to my infocus dlp projector for the following purposes (I have a dell gx300, 650mhz, and 256M ram):

- hdtv receiver

- tivo functions

- cable tuner

- DVD playback

I think that I've settled on the HiPix DTV 200 card for hdtv/cable/tivo unless someone believes that the Access DTV or Hauppauge card is better - opinions?

Given that selection, I am really confused when it comes down to the AGP graphics card. I guess that I'm looking for good DVD playback capability - yes? I also need a graphics accessoory port on the card to hook up the HiPix to the graphics card - neither cards I currently am evaluating have one. I have the ATI Radeon 7500 and gForce mx 400 cards for eval. Hard to really tell a difference on DVD playback. Could someone help me out and recommend a graphics card for this purpose? Maybe the HiPix will do DVD playback - yes/no?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I too am curious as to what people think out there about the HiPix and accessDTV cards?

AFAIK, neither card will do DVD decoding, so you'll have to rely on the Video card to do that. From what I've read, the Radeon card is the better pick. As far as connecting to the HDTV card, I believe its an external adapted that plugs into the video card, but I may be wrong as I don't have an HDTV card.

(I just found this link Connecting DTV card to TV )

Also, I don't think either card actually does TiVo like things with regular cable or analog TV. I think they only do that with HDTV.

Perhaps someone who owns either of these cards can answer these questions better.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't think there is any HDTV card right now that will record NTSC. They only record ATSC. If you are looking for TIVO functionality, you need to be looking at a TIVO or a ReplayTV. The HDTV cards seem to have VCR functionality at the moment.

The ATI AIW card has all the features of a TIVO, but it is not functional as one. Also the picture quality (for video or tuner in) is not as good as the HIPIX-200.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
I think you guys more or less know what is

going on.

My HTPC has a Radeon LE card using the VGA

output for DVD playback (using Cineplayer4

software).

My HiPix card also has a VGA output connected

to a seperate input on my display (I use

the A/B input switch to pick the signal).

The HiPix can also run in "one monitor loopback

cable mode" where the VGA signal

"passes through" the HiPix card until you

start playing an HDTV file.

The HiPix "only" records ATSC digital TV

so it cannot record alot of analog NTSC

broadcasts out there. The best thing now

for NTSC is probably still a TiVo/ReplayTV/

Dishpro501 type device which can be connected

to the NTSC/Svideo input on the HiPix.

There have been rumors that Telemann may

someday offer DVD playback through the HiPix

or even analog MPEG2 encoding (so you could

record regular analog shows), but neither

feature is in the current software and

may never happen (still just rumors/wishfull

thinking).

·
Registered
588 Posts
I was looking for the same thing. It seems you can get either HD PVR (aka Tivo) functionality or NTSC PVR, but not both on one card. Furthermore, various combinations of cards are incompatible, so that isn't really an option either.

The HD capture cards are pretty early on the technology curve right now, and pretty expensive considering their limited functions and somewhat questionable reliability. I've decided to sit it out until the bigger vendors like ATI or Nvidia support high definition with new cards next year. ATI appears to have come close to HD with the 8500DV and I can't imagine Nvidia is just sitting still. After looking at the local HD availability there isn't much I would want to watch right now anyway.

Instead I am spending $140 on one of the Hotte modified Zoltrix cards for NTSC and dscaler use for the time being.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Even the current Radeon series (not the 8500+)

are capable of HDTV playback in software.

For some reason software HDTV playback

has not made it to market in the US in any

big way yet. It may be related to copyright

concerns, or the worry of the vendors that

they won't get enough customers to justify

the expense of the product line (yet). They

may be waiting until HDTV is more mainstream

before they start selling software HDTV playback.

Even at $375+, I think the HiPix is not overpriced

considering the other options for HDTV recording

are all much more expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.