AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do any of our experts have a clue? I was watching CNBC this morning.

The graphics of stock charts are HD sharp. Why isn't the normal broadcast that sharp?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I'm trying to figure out exactly what you're asking.

Are you referring to charts as graphics, or the background imagery as graphics, or perhaps the CNBC logo?

And what is a "normal" broadcast? Do you mean viewing the SD channel through an SD box on a 19" CRT?

Specifics will help. :)

-JR

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By graphics I'm referring to information that is posted during a broadcast such as ESPN (game statistics) or CNBC (stock charts). Even on SD stations, the graphics are usually razor sharp, equal to HD quality. I'm wondering why they are so much sharper than the rest of the broadcast. What is it about graphics that enables them to be shown with such detail? I have both a Fuji and NEC 50" plasma.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Those graphics are flat color, there are no gradations and very few curves. Like it web graphics, text and flat color shapes are very easily shown in near lossless detail where as photos need to be highly compressed to equal that size. I would assume that the additional millions of colors, much finer detail, varing tones, shades, gradients all add to a more difficult rendering after the signal has been compressed.

Maybe also because those images are mostly static on the screen and therefore do not have much motion noise? The colors, brightness, etc never change so they appear more pristine?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.