AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a problem I've never found a solution for.

I'm running a DTC-100 into a Panasonic Plasma, so I'm very concerned about burn-in whenever I watch 4:3 material.

The problem is this: Most of the digital OTA stations here in San Francisco "float" their 4:3 picture in the middle of a 16:9 frame, the same thing HBO does when it sends 4:3 material over 509. The DTC-100 and everything else I've looked into sees this (correctly) as a 16:9 picture, which just happens to include some black bars as part of the transmitted picture. So, there's no option to replace the black bars with gray.

The only way I can view these without a burn-in threat is to re-set the DTC-100 to fool it into thinking I have a 4:3 montitor. After that I have various stretch and crop options for a full-screen picture, but still no way to get gray side bars around a normal 4:3 image. (And I then have to reverse all that button-punching to watch a real widescreen picture.)

I realize that this is non-trivial from an engineering POV. You'd have to get electronics to either interpret live matter and make a smart substitution or to work like an effects generator, cutting gray bars into a specified geometry. I just wondered if anyone has come up with a reasonable solution for this?

[This message has been edited by Spoffo (edited 08-03-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe you could fool the DTC-100 into thinking that it is a 4:3 set... Then use the s-video inputs and have the tv put greybars on it.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
This isn't a great solution, but if nothing else works, on the nights when you have watched several hours of 'black bars' leave the set on an NTSC analog channel in stretch mode overnight after you are done. Lousy solution, but it will help the set from burn in.

------------------

jm in Boulder

[This message has been edited by JMartinko (edited 08-03-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep, that solution I suggested wasn't the greatest. =)

That's why I usually just put it in stretch mode or I just watch it with the black bars.. I really think I've gotten used to seeing a 4:3 stretched!

·
Registered
195 Posts
As Mike mentioned, the 6000 will do this. As far as the processing, though, it doesn't automatically detect the situation. You can just easily switch between aspect modes to add gray bars/stretch. A much easier solution than the auto-detect.

But the auto-detect should be possible, too. The Philips 4:3 HD-ready sets have a feature where they auto-detect black bars so that they can incrementally move the picture frame using unnoticed movements, to reduce burn-in. So it is apparently possible with current electronics to detect black bars automatically...

------------------

- Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.