AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have missed a thread but I noticed tonight that WCBS-DT was putting gray left and right borders on local NTSC upconverts during evening programming. I still saw black borders on what I think were the network ad feeds so I'm wondering if this is a CBS-wide change or just a WCBS change.

Either way - way to go WCBS. This should help people who are worried about burn-in (burn-out?) of their screens from watching NTSC upconverts on digital channels. The gray was just a little brighter than what my Zenith uses when watching NTSC broadcasts in 3:4 ratios.

Rick

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The local news is on now and the borders are still gray - there are thin black lines at either side of the picture but the borders are a nice, neutral, gray.

Way to go Bob Ross! Thanx! Hope this is the new WCBS standard! :D :D :D

Rick

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I noticed this as well and I too have a Zenith. I haven't actually watched that channel for long periods of time, but if I do I'm going to set my cable box to Zoom to fill the screen because A) Stretch doesn't cut it and B) I hate borders with a passion. I didn't buy a larger TV to see 2-3" on either side cut off.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
It's a WCBS thing. Bob Ross has nothing to do with it. He's CBS corporate, not WCBS. The person to thank is probably one of AVS's newest members: BCastro. Ben is the engineering supervisor at WCBS NY.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dunno Bogney. My Zenith 9" CRT set has the option of having the borders gray or black, and they specifically warn against using black borders with NTSC transmissions. I know that I'm still getting horizontal black borders with wide-aspect ,DVDs and Showtime movies but I watch them much less than I do standard TV.

FWIW - I usually use zoom on 4:3 broadcasts but WCBS-DT is much clearer than my cable transmission of their analog signal, so I'm happy with the change.

But to each his own.

Rick

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think the grey is real ugly :(

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I'm not fond of the gray either be it on this particular channel that I watch once in a while off Dish, or others that I get that use gray sidebars. . But it does beat stretching the image instead the way say ESPN HD or my local ABC affiliate does when theres not true HD programming.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thank Bob for grey bar standard??? No way! On a 100" screen in a darkened room, the last thing you want to see is anything but the picture you are viewing. Grey borders are disruptive and and takes away from the experience you are supposed to have as you do in any movie theater.

I'm not sure why this has to be forced upon us by the broadcaster when in fact, many HD set top boxes allow you to choose to use grey sidebars on 4:3 pictures. The Toshiba DST3000 does this.

IMHO

David

Quote:
Originally posted by cpto
The local news is on now and the borders are still gray - there are thin black lines at either side of the picture but the borders are a nice, neutral, gray.

Way to go Bob Ross! Thanx! Hope this is the new WCBS standard! :D :D :D

Rick

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I can see we have a lot of disagreements here and I'm probably in the minority. But hey, this is a forum. :D

SteinyD - I have the option of putting gray or black borders on the edges of an NTSC picture, but I don't on an HD picture. Given the quality of CBS over cable for NTSC transmissions and the superior upconversion gear WCBS is using, I get a much better picture from their digital transmission. Using zoom to fill the whole screen is also not possible on a digital signal on my set, and zooming the analog picture makes it even worse.

I doubt there will ever be a perfect solution to this problem. But my $.02 is that I prefer the gray bars.

Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.