AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please post your HD1000U Projector setting for DIY/Factory Gray screens. I've tried all the settings I could find on the DIY and this section.
I'm a crt'er ,and I've found that the black levels are sub standard ,the shadow detail is sub standard ,and the whites are crushed.
I'll give this projector a week or two more and off to videogon and AVS sales it goes.

·
Registered
602 Posts
No doubt this is not a crt projector. It is digital and digital cannot create true black which is the total absence of light. A digital display is always "projecting" light onto the display.

I set contrast to 10 brightness to 7, color to -1 (eliminates red push), brilliant color 0, auto at 3.75%. This gives the best image on my screen. Of course all screens are different.

If you are expecting a sub 1k pj to give the contrast of a crt you must have been mistaken. But for sub 1k this 720p unit is the best that's out there.

If you want to step up to above 5k for dlp then you'll start getting into some real serious contenders as far as more reference standard units.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gushy,

I would never think that a digital can match the crt's black levels ,but I thought I'd give this projector a try. I dare not think a sub 1k projector could come close ,but I think with some treaking It'll be a keeper until I get a RS1 or a Pearl. Thanks for the settings.

p.s I can't wait to see what the other guys can share.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Try a Sharp DT-500 or Mitsubishi HC3000U. They're much better. Not CRT great, but they have no clear segment on the color wheel and have an iris for deeper blacks and better contrast. Big improvment for someone used to CRT. They can be had fairly cheap. The next step would be a Sharp 12000MKII which can be had for a nice price too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.