AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preliminary impressions: Black level MUCH improved. "black bars" MUCH blacker. Colors a bit more muted then when we were projected on semi-gloss painted pink wall. Had to crank brightness back up, but only to factory default level.

Detail in dark scenes MUCH improved. I got the wide border with the velvet vellum cover--absolutely ZERO visible light spill. I zoomed in a hair to get rid of the bright row of pixels on the edge.

Only downer? This screen really brings out the flaws in the current temporary (hurry up UPS, darn it!) direct connect of an old Toshiba 2109 to the projector sans video processor.

This is a great combo, Grayhawk + 38T!

Dan

·
Registered
350 Posts
Have a 40.5" x 72" 16:9 GrayHawk screen. Sitting position is 10-11 feet. Planning to get a Sanyo XP21N or a clone (Eiki LC-X999). Will there be visible screen door? How far should sitting position be so there will be no screen door?

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Walter:

Everyone has a personal opinion about screen door. I have near perfect vision at my seating distance of 15' and it is simply not an issue for either me or my wife on our screen.

You really are planning to use a fairly small screen for this bright projector. I can't imagine how screen door would be a problem. I definitely recommend the Grayhawk, however. It really improves the shadow detail and black level.

For that screen and setup you may want to consider the Cinema 13. You don't need all that extra light and the 13 would go better with your 16:9 screen.

Dan

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Walter,

Just curious on how you chose the screen size. As Dan mentioned, it is smaller than what many people would recommend based on your viewing distance. Many people seem to use viewing distance / 1.3 to 1.5.

Mike

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually the rule of thumb as I understand it is 2 X screen width, so Walter is pretty close, sitting at 11' when the recommended is 12'. Just so everyone understands, I'm not suggesting Walter get a bigger screen, his sounds about right for his seating distance. My suggestion is he look at the native 16:9 Cinema 13HT because his screen is 16:9 and because it is small enough that the 13HT should be plenty bright.

And Walter, if you decide to check this out, be sure and use the 13HT instead of the PLV60 because that way you'll be certain of getting the latest firmware update.

Dan

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Dan,

There is a great publication by ?cinema source on screens and sizing. It is a PDF document. I have it at work and will send it to you if you want. I am just about to pick a projector/screen (waiting to see if the 11ht is better than the 13hd). I was planning on a view/scree ratio of about 1.4. Might be a little to large http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I also will try and find the link to it.

Mike

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, you might want to post a link to it or offer it to the group in a separate thread.

Too large is a relative thing. I think the seating distance = 2 x screen width rule of thumb takes into account things like pixelation and just general resolution. If you sit a little further back sometimes you get a better overall impression of picture quality.

Dan

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck:
And Walter, if you decide to check this out, be sure and use the 13HT instead of the PLV60 because that way you'll be certain of getting the latest firmware update.

Dan
Dan and Mike,

Thank for the input Dan. The screen is in between two large windows and there's only 80" distance between the two windows so I got the 72" screen plus 6.5" for the frame.

Just going to put curtains on the windows beside the screen. There's a wide window (80% of the wall) on the right side of the theater. And an opening to the dining room at the rear of the theater, had french type doors installed so the subwoofer can handle the room but stray light would still come in since don't intend to put curtains here also.

Will the Cinema 13-HD be able to handle the ambient light. Can I watch it during the day? Also Projector Central has a better review of the XP21N instead of the 13-HD (PLV60) even thought technically the PLV60 has more resolution. What do you think? XP21N or 13-HD?

Thanks

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Walter:

Even with the brighter projector, we are finding we need to knock down the ambient light to get the best picture. The worst kind of light is that which comes from the rear of the theater because it reflects directly on the screen.

I think you're going to find daylight viewing less than satisfactory until you knock the light down some. But because of the other factors you mentioned, I'd still recommend trying the Cinema 13HT first.

Some of the issues that concerned Projector central in their review have been addressed in the 13HT. Others, such as slightly more screen door because it does not have MLA, should not be a problem on your screen.

I believe Studio Experience, one of the sponsors of this forum, may have a loaner projector you could use. Contact Hank Nance there and describe your situation and get a recommendation.

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.