AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer is recommending that I go with the Vutec Greydove. Has anyone had an opportunity to do a side by side comparison with the Stewart Grayhawk microperf? I'm especially interested in how the two screens sound, since this would be tough to test with a sample.

Thanks!

Seth

·
Registered
835 Posts
Can you get the Greydove in a perforated screen? If you want to test with samples you can get an idea by placing the sample in front (6-12 or more inches would probably be best) of the tweeter on your speaker. Most of the sound loss occurs in the higher frequencies so it should be possible to make a reasonable comparison with two samples.

Also, keep in mind the Stewart will come with an equalizer to compensate for the sound loss.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KFung
Can you get the Greydove in a perforated screen? If you want to test with samples you can get an idea by placing the sample in front (6-12 or more inches would probably be best) of the tweeter on your speaker. Most of the sound loss occurs in the higher frequencies so it should be possible to make a reasonable comparison with two samples.

Also, keep in mind the Stewart will come with an equalizer to compensate for the sound loss.

Regards,

Kam Fung
Greydove is inherently perforated, it's what Vutec calls SoundScreen, made of a woven fabric something like grill cloth. I'm thinking of testing both screens and doing response curves. I'll post here if I do.

Seth

·
Registered
835 Posts
Seth,

Really? When I saw the Greydove at Cedia it was unperforated vinyl... I guess they changed somewhere along the line.

Kam

·
Registered
459 Posts
There is a standard graydove...which looks like plain gray vinyl.

There is also a "soundscreen" graydove, which is woven fabric.

Both are made by vutec.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't know that there were two types, thanks for the info. As you've mentioned before, it's sometimes rather difficult to get info from Vutech.

Seth

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
It is also sometimes difficult to get samples from Vutec. I have tried on two separate occasions to get a sample of the soundscreen graydove with no luck.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I can't get samples, that will automatically put the screen "out of the running", so to speak. Stewart is still trying to find me info on the equalizer they ship with their microperf, BTW. I'd like to see how it's put together. Not even sure if I'd use the equalizer if I were to get a Stewart, since only half of the speaker will be behind the screen, the rest will be behind a grill cloth.

Seth

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Seth,

Just because I had no success in getting Vutec samples does not mean that you will. The problem I had may have been related to the fact that the screen material in question was very new.

If money is no object, you should really check out the Stewart microperforated screens. They are the only THX certified screens. There are many possible reasons as to why no other screen manufacturers have THX certified screens:

1) Their screens did not pass the criteria;

2) They know that their screens will not pass the criteria, and therefore, did not submit them for certification;

3) THX certification would increase the cost of their screens (they would also be able to charge more for their screens);

4) They do not believe in the THX certification program for screens.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sbradley02
If I can't get samples, that will automatically put the screen "out of the running", so to speak. Stewart is still trying to find me info on the equalizer they ship with their microperf, BTW. I'd like to see how it's put together. Not even sure if I'd use the equalizer if I were to get a Stewart, since only half of the speaker will be behind the screen, the rest will be behind a grill cloth.

Seth
Seth,

In that case it is more important which part of the speaker is behind the screen. The tweeter will be effected by the micro perf to an exstint while the woofer will be essentially uneffected.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
Seth,

Just because I had no success in getting Vutec samples does not mean that you will. The problem I had may have been related to the fact that the screen material in question was very new.

If money is no object, you should really check out the Stewart microperforated screens. They are the only THX certified screens. There are many possible reasons as to why no other screen manufacturers have THX certified screens:

1) Their screens did not pass the criteria;

2) They know that their screens will not pass the criteria, and therefore, did not submit them for certification;

3) THX certification would increase the cost of their screens (they would also be able to charge more for their screens);

4) They do not believe in the THX certification program for screens.
Still waiting for both screen samples. I'll likely get whichever one has the flatter frequency response, So far the money in AVS Forum is on the Stewart :). Considering that Vutech won't publish the response of the 'Dove, they're probably right. Regarding THX certification, while I consider the home THX program of value, I don't place as much weight on it as many do. I think the only component in my system that's certified is my DVD player (though my Bryston 4B-ST comes in a THX version, which I didn't get). My favorite non-THX example is my Theta Casablanca II. Theta didn't submit their product for certification because THX said the extremely flexible crossovers were "too complicated". That's one of the reasons I purchased the unit. Many speakers can't be certified not because of any issues with quality of sound reproduction, but because they don't meet THX specs on dispersion, sensitivity, etc. I suspect the THX video specs (including screens) are more value in prediciting performance than is the case with audio.

Seth

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles

Seth,

In that case it is more important which part of the speaker is behind the screen. The tweeter will be effected by the micro perf to an exstint while the woofer will be essentially uneffected.

-Mr. Wigggles
The tweeter (50" ribbon, 250Hz up) is roughly split between the grill cloth and the screen. If I were to use any equaliziation, I'd probably build my own EQ, with less boost than the Stewart box uses.

Seth

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the curve on the EQ box from Stewart (still waiting on the schematic). Referenced to 1KHz, the screen is around 1.5dB down at 10KHz, and around 3.5dB down at 20KHz. Interestingly, this is very similar to the curve for the Guilford of Maine cloth, which is 1.5dB down at 10KHz, and 2dB down at 20KHz. So if I were to go with the Stewart, the Guilford would be a good match.

Seth

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Stewart sample has arrived, still no sign of the Vutec. I'm not real impressed with Vutec's responsiveness.

Seth

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally got 2 samples from Vutec (Soundscreen, 5% and 10% perf), hopefully I can perform some response and visual tests in the next week or so.

Seth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.