AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried Stewarts new GrayHawk Screen with a Sony 10HT, or any other LCD Projector? Does it really improve black levels? Is their any disadvantages to using this screen instead of a typical high quality 1.3 gain screen? Thanks for the help.

-William

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I don't own a 10HT, but I saw one a few days ago with a Greyhawk. What a fantastic screen. A thing of beauty, for sure.

The Sony I saw was only fed by a progressive DVD player and there was much room for improvement in the resolution area, but the colors and blacks looked really good.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Stewart's booth had a 1/2 grey 1/2 1.3 gain comparison and an identical projector beside it shooting onto a full greyhawk. Yes the blacks are much improved, on the 1/2 and 1/2 you could tell that the whites also suffered a bit. However when you looked over the full greyhawk on the left you couldn't tell that the white level was lower, however you could clearly see the increased contrast. A little trick that your brain pulls called brightness constancy explains why the white on the greyhawk appears just as bright. The greyhawk also performed much better under ambient light, they had a lamp there for comparison.

Unless you're really pushing the size of your screen and you need the extra brightness (i.e. if you're right around 12 ft-lamberts with a 1.3 gain), a Greyhawk would work very well for you.

Regards,

Kam Fung

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.