AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered Grease R1 from play.com and it's just arrived - but it's the Canadian version.

Does anyone know if it's different to the US version (apart from the packaging)?

I vaguely remember seeing something about the Canadian version of one DVD movie (can't remember which) being inferior to the US one.

Regards - Marcus

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I can't help specifically re Grease. I buy a lot of DVD's (in Canada), and usually they are the same as the U.S. releases, except occasionally for packaging. BUT, if the DVD was distributed by Alliance Atlantis, then you might have an issue, as lately they have been distributing some inferior movie packages of foreign (i.e. not U.S.) films in Canada. Such as with no extras, stereo instead of 5.1, etc. I must admit it's very hard to find good online info about Canadian releases.

My guess is that you are OK. Grease is a Paramount release, and other recent Paramount DVD releases in Canada have been identical to the U.S. release re content. All Movie Guide lists the contents of U.S. Grease DVD specifically, compare with your package.

Edit: Just thinking, that recent movie you read about the Canadian version being "inferior" to the U.S. version might have been Brotherhood of the Wolf (Alliance Atlantis dist.). I have both versions, and only for the most extreme nitpickers would anyone say the Canadian version is inferior re PQ. I didn't notice any difference here. It is not "reference" PQ anyway (though nice). The basic Can. version has no extras. But the Canadian version has far superior sound (French dts), so if you view the movie as a total experience, the Can. version is IMO better (for once!). Another recent one I can think of from AA is Y Tu Mama Tambien, where the Can. DVD is definitely inferior.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.