AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a good beverage refrigerator for my Home Theater for a long time. Problem is, most of the glass-door mini refrigerators I have seen out there are specifically designed for wine - wine racks which won't hold beer or soda and temperature control limited to 45 deg. F and above. My search is finally over:

Home Depot has a Sunbeam 4.6 cu. ft. beverage refrigerator for $129 in this weeks sale flyer. This is a great refrigerator - glass front door which can be adjusted to open left or right; adjustable racks which can hold wine, beer, or soda; and temperature control down to 32 deg. F. It is auto defrost, and has a quiet compressor (I know this can be a big issue, but this one is very quiet). It will hold up to 32 bottles of wine, and over 60 cans of beer/soda. My local Home Depot only had two of these in stock. This is a great deal for that Den, bonus room, home theater or whatever. Oh yeah - it has a 5 yr warranty as well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Paid about $40 more for a 4.9 cf model from Sears mentioned in this other thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...023#post835023

Do you have a link to the frige you mentioned? I can't find at Home Depot online or anywhere else...I don't remember seeing anything like you described at anywhere near that low of a price when I went to HD. If it's still at that price I may return the Sears purchase and get the glass fronted one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dslunceford
Paid about $40 more for a 4.9 cf model from Sears mentioned in this other thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...023#post835023

Do you have a link to the frige you mentioned? I can't find at Home Depot online or anywhere else...I don't remember seeing anything like you described at anywhere near that low of a price when I went to HD. If it's still at that price I may return the Sears purchase and get the glass fronted one.
This beverage cooler isn't shown on their online site, but it was prominently displayed in their sales flyer here in Charlotte for this week. Take a look at this completed auction at ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2077411051

This shows the beverage cooler I have referenced (note that they got $199 plus shipping for this cooler).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just a quick question?

Does the glass door sweat much in humid weather if you've got it set down to about 36 or so to keep your "refreshments" cold? I'd hate to have a puddle of water on my floor all summer?

DougK

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DougK
Just a quick question?

Does the glass door sweat much in humid weather if you've got it set down to about 36 or so to keep your "refreshments" cold? I'd hate to have a puddle of water on my floor all summer?

DougK
Well, difficult to judge right now at this time of year. I keep my house at about 72 deg. F pretty much all year - no sweating. The glass door is double paned so I don't think it will have a sweating problem. However, I'm in the process of checking the temperature on this unit. It doesn't seem to be cooling as low as I want. Its supposed to get down to 34 deg. F. I've got a thermometer in it right now to check.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I didn't chck the links, but it sounds like the Avanti "Little Tavern" that I just picked up at Sam's Club for $119. (It's available online too.) It has four temperature settings for beverages, including gourmet beer (ummm!). Very quiet (so far).

Gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by GHafer
I didn't chck the links, but it sounds like the Avanti "Little Tavern" that I just picked up at Sam's Club for $119. (It's available online too.) It has four temperature settings for beverages, including gourmet beer (ummm!). Very quiet (so far).

Gary
Its not the Avanti. I almost bought the Avanti, but decided it was just a bit too small for my needs. The Little Tavern is 1.7 cu. ft.; the Sunbeam is about 2.5 times the size, at 4.6 cu. ft. Interestingly enough, I had about given up on finding a larger glass door beverage cooler and I decided to just get the Avanti. I didn't want to mess around with internet orders, so I tried for 1 week to contact the Avanti sales people in Miami to find out where they retail their product. I left 8 messages with those people and never received one returned phone call - needless to say, I moved on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update - well, looks like I'm not very good at judging temperature. My thermometer readings show about 35 deg. F at several locations within the cooler - that's close enough to the tech specs of 34 deg. F that I can't complain! Just had a cold beer while watching The Family Man ("I bet you needed this every day!") - my HT is almost there. Just need a good tabletop candy rack and I'm finished with the concession accessories!

·
Registered
59 Posts
for those of you interested... Home Depot has this cooler advertised in the Little Rock Arkansas flier this morning for $129, as well as a 4.2cf Magic Chef with a stainless steel door for the same price.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I saw this unit at HD yesterday...it indeed is a nice unit. They also have a black unit with stainless steel door. The glass unit is double pane glass to resist condensation/sweating in humid climates. Really a bargin price for both units.

I bought a black unit at SAM'S that also had a separate freezer door for our HT last years for about $170.00

·
Registered
311 Posts
Finally saw the unit at HD...had to ask for it though, as there were none on display. All were on pallets high above and a couple of aisles over from other friges.

Nice frige and can't beat the price (it is described as a wine frige).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dslunceford
Finally saw the unit at HD...had to ask for it though, as there were none on display. All were on pallets high above and a couple of aisles over from other friges.

Nice frige and can't beat the price (it is described as a wine frige).
I had the same experience when I bought it. None on display, and they had to get it down from the racks. While described as a wine cooler, the racks on this refrigerator are flat and thus can hold wine and soda (I think the box actually reads "Ultimate Beverage Center"). In addition, the temperature range goes down to 34 deg. F, much lower than many of the "wine coolers" which don't get much below 45 deg. F.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I Picked one up too to replace my small cube fridge, are you guys gonna lay the stuff down or take out a shelf or two and stand it up so you can see whats in the thing? I almost bought the Kegulator they had for display I was very close.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarpad
I Picked one up too to replace my small cube fridge, are you guys gonna lay the stuff down or take out a shelf or two and stand it up so you can see whats in the thing? I almost bought the Kegulator they had for display I was very close.
I took out a couple of racks so I could stand the cans upright. Even with 3 of the racks out, I was still able to get about 60 cans in the fridge!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.