AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dell is running another unannouced deal - 40% until 8pm Central Tonight (code: 51S7S776G77Q3H ) on their MCE 2005 systems: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...DXPS3MCF&s=dhs

Dell Dimension XPS Media Center

Deal also includes Free Shipping (after rebate), Free upgrade to 1 Gigabyte of RAM, Free DVD Burner.

So, tell me, is this a GOOD HTPC (plan on putting an HDTV Wonder inside)? Is the system quiet? What are your thoughts?

Thanks

· Premium Member
13,810 Posts
That is... still really expensive ;). Not bad I guess with 40% off if you don't want to build it yourself. I've never met a Dimension that was quiet, but I haven't had an XPS.

· Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Expensive?!?!

$1800 Shipped

2 400 gb HDs

3.6 Ghz Processor

Radeon X800 w/128 meg.

16x Dual Layer DVD

Sound Blaster Audigy w/Firewire

etc., etc., etc.

Sure, I can build one, but it would cost about the same if not a little more.

· Premium Member
13,810 Posts
I said not bad with the 40% off. Still think you could build it yourself cheaper. But it's not a bad deal at all.

· Registered
9 Posts
The 40% discount is on systems over $2500. So, the cheapest you can get is $1500. I agree with madpoet, it's not the lowest budget for an HTPC. But, you do get some nice components with that price.

· Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed. I could build a HTPC much cheaper, but I want to be able to do the following in addition to HTPC types of things:

Gaming on the BIG SCREEN!

Encoding HD to WMV-9 for DVD Playback!

HD Capture

etc.

Can I really build a system for much cheaper than this? If it is only a hundred dollars or so, then its not worth it for my time.

Does anyone have a Dell XPS system? Can you tell me about the build quality and the quietness of the system?

Thanks

· Premium Member
13,810 Posts
Or proprietary motherboards, heatsinks, etc; like Dell uses ;)

· Registered
1,193 Posts
My order...Dimension 8400

3.0 GHz P4

1GB DDR2/533

Nvidia 6800GT 256mb

400GB SATA

DL DVD Writer

20" LCD FP

etc

=1650 after tax and rebate

Selling on ebay....

20" LCD FP - 550

400GB SATA - 350

current HTPC - 500 (already have buyer :p)

(1400.00)

1650.00 - 1400.00 = 250.00

250.00 for a new cpu, mb, mem, AND a 6800GT 256 worth at least $350

it doesn't get any better than that in my books :D

· Premium Member
13,810 Posts
Again... don't expect anything quiet here...

· Registered
510 Posts
I just had to take the plunge on this one. Dell and their unreal deals. I can't build this pc for what I'll have in it after selling the monitor and some other gear. The shuttle XPC and radeon 9600 non pro are probably going to move into my office as the surfing/work pc. keeping an9600 non pro cool in an xpc case is just too much work running wmvhd material. plus, i gain dvd-a capability from the audigy, saving me from buying a $200 dvd player.

thi thing will go in a fan ventilated cabinet-the cabinet keeps an xpc wth fan wide open quiet, so i should be ok.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.