AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that I've got some family coming over later that wanted to see the new projector in action, and what to show them. If you own one of these, or have just seen a mind blowing demo of one somewhere, please post as much of the information as you can. I'm interested mainly in scenes that go from extremely bright, to extremely dark, and back to bright fast enough that your eyes don't have time to adjust.

1. Elysium- the scene where Matt Damon and crew are chased by the helicopter and hiding behind cars, the space scenes with tranport ships going between earth and Elysium. The camera cuts and fades really showcase the iris.

2. Harry Potts DH2- this is the first movie I watched with the manual iris all the way closed, high lamp, giving it the closest to 60,000:1 native contrast that it will ever have theoretically. The entire last half of the movie, but especially in the cave with Dumbledore.

3. LOTR-Book One: The Mines of Moria portion from the scene at the snow covered pass until Gandalf's fall.

4. Tron Legacy from the first motorcycle scene through Olivia Wilde Rescuing him and taking him to the Builder.

Feel free to add your own "best of contrast" scenes, or any other scenes that really show off the chops of this projector.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I'm not sure if it will hold the entire blackouts, but the movie Devil is based on a premise of a group of people being stuck in an elevator where periodically the lights go out, something bad happens, then the lights come back on. It is pretty clear that there shouldn't be any light there during the blackouts IMO even though there would have been in the theater with poor on/off CR. I don't recall any time markers, but if you fast forward through you should be able to find places where something bad just happened in the elevator and back it up.

Also, I haven't looked at it on the new generation, but I recall that the Blu-ray of John Mayer: Where the Light Is had quite a few parts with great contrast between a few lights and black backgrounds.

Not sure I would want to use this one for demos as it is not encoded that well and is kind of headache inducing at the beginning, but the start of Eden Log has a lot of transitions between bright and black that can be interesting.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just re-watched an old classic that really pops on this pj. Blade Runner Director's cut on BD. The opening scene through first 10-15 min. Then, the scene where Harrison Ford goes to meet the CEO of the company, where he lowers the blinds, and the scene where Rutger Hauer goes to meet the CEO. All super high contrast, super low shadow detail scenes.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1515982/great-demo-movies-for-the-2014-jvc-d-ila-projectors#post_24797251

Sin City looked breathtaking.

I must re-watch that on my new projector and before the 2nd film.

I have the limited edition steelbook Sin City on order from Zavvi UK (also have the normal version). So I will watch it when that arrives.

Re-watched Prometheus and enjoyed the extra contrast the new JVC's bring.

·
Registered
138 Posts
As I have posted a while ago in the CRT projector section, the "mother of alll black level movies" is Pandorum. The entire movie is below 20 IRE or so. Only the last 30 seconds of the movie include a day scene. It is so dark that my Panasonic PZ80 plasma looks washed out. I think it is the ideal torture test for black level performance.

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
You might also want to try The Crow (U.S. version). I haven't watched it on my JVC, but it looked very good on plasma. The movie is a bit softer due to the photography, but should have some nice contrast for sure. Great movie.

The Descent is another good one to try - especially the Australian version if you can get it, but the U.S. version is very good too. Some scenes go virtually all black. Good creepy movie also.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1515982/great-demo-movies-for-the-2014-jvc-d-ila-projectors#post_24797251

Sin City looked breathtaking.

I bet. I bet the few colors really look vivid against hose dark blacks. Haven't seen the Descent. I'll put these on the list.

·
Registered
14,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb  /t/1515982/great-demo-movies-for-the-2014-jvc-d-ila-projectors#post_24798143

I bet. I bet the few colors really look vivid against hose dark blacks. Haven't seen the Descent. I'll put these on the list.

The deep blacks and various shades of grey leading to the whites really makes this a great contrast demo title. It's also very detailed and smooth looking. Top notch transfer.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Ender's Game looks fantastic on the JVC's, especially the battle scenes set in space.

I agree with napos about Pandorum being a torture test for black levels. It is the darkest sci-fi movie in my collection.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Not sure why this is a 2014 model specific thread. Any of the titles listed would look great on ANY model JVC's released within the past 6 years. I will say though many of the titles mentioned here in this thread look uniquely good on JVC projectors. There's no other digital projector out there that can match this kind of low APL picture quality.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I guess I am bit offtopic as I dont have 2014 pj and am not speaking about movies, but I have found some new tv series shot with Arri Alexa to look great on my old HD750. I am thinking about series like DaVincis Demons and Agents of SHIELD. They have oodles of details near inky blacks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts