AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
------I've noticed that many AVS members have recently bought the JVC DVHS machine. Like me, you have probably been trying to decide on the best demo tape for your system.

------ I've found it. It's called, "The Beauty of Japan." Don't let the title fool you though, it has scenes from the USA and Spain that are not mentioned in the description. I ordered mine to ship by the cheapest (ground?) rate and it came FedEX Two day delivery. :)

------ Great depth of field and the details are outstanding. Sound is only stereo but it makes a for good background music in Pro-Logic.

Regards, Tom B.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
--------Any other DVHS owners out there who have a "favorite" demo tape???

-------- Since DVHS is my only source for HD right now. I'd appreciate your suggestions for other outstanding demo tapes.

Thanks, Tom B.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Blizzard

-------- Since DVHS is my only source for HD right now. I'd appreciate your suggestions for other outstanding demo tapes.

Thanks, Tom B.
I received my Beauty of Japan tape in the box with my JVC when I received it last summer. It is a spectacle to behold and the very essence of HD and the very best way to demo your home setup.

I have many other D-Theater tapes, but they are all movies-- not video like this one.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, Tom B.
Tom, I would agree on The Beauty of Japan. I have also mostly bought D-Theater tapes, but the video-HD definitely have more of a wow factor. Honestly, none of them has disappointed me yet. I have always like Argentina: Nature's Spectacle, but I do not if it is among the best since I only have a few of the HDNET tapes. It does, however, look fantastic.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
----- Thanks for the tip. I saw the tape on Argentina, several of them , advertisied. I'm glad to know :Natures Spectacle is a good one. I'll sure make of note of it.

----- I just finished watching "X-MEN" for the first time on DVHS HD. I've seen it at least a dozen times on DVD. Man -O- man, it was fantastic. Like watching a different movie. I mean, in each and every scene I would see something, sometimes many things, I had never noticed on the DVD. Colors too, colors that I have never seen on the DVD....... like the iridescent shirts and small details on clothing. So much more to see. Words you could not read on the DVD, etc., etc.,

--------I'm glad I didn't wait for HD-DVD.

Thanks again yojimbo 75, you too MikeM.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm glad to hear you guys like the Beauty of Japan tape. I was the editor of the film. It was actually made in 1999 for JVC's roll out of DVHS in Japan (before D-Cinema). JVC made an interesting decision to hire American filmmakers because they did not want typical Japanese demo footage. For those of you have never seen the typical Japanese demo material it usually is a geisha in front of a cherry blossom tree. The shot will be locked off with a slow zoom, shot a twelve noon, with completely flat lighting and look like a news crew shot it.

I had always wondered what happened to film after I finished it. I never knew if they even used it until a couple of months ago I saw it running on a monitor in Best Buy (of all places). It is nice to see that it is available and people are enjoying it. I'll have to get a copy for myself!

Some interesting technical notes:

It was shot on HDCAM at 1080i. We used a Sony camera, the best at the time. Kinda funny when you consider it was a promotion for JVC!

It was edited in Tokyo on an Avid in NTSC. It was then onlined in HD at Sony PCL studios in Tokyo. It was mixed in Los Angeles.

-Jeff Doe

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Jeff,

Call your contacts at JVC and tell them we want another demo tape! This tape is fantastic, but after seeing it about 100 times I'd love to see some new footage! There isn't enough video-based demo material available for D-VHS yet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
----- Thanks for the tip. I saw the tape on Argentina, several of them , advertisied. I'm glad to know :Natures Spectacle is a good one. I'll sure make of note of it.

----- I just finished watching "X-MEN" for the first time on DVHS HD. I've seen it at least a dozen times on DVD. Man -O- man, it was fantastic. Like watching a different movie. I mean, in each and every scene I would see something, sometimes many things, I had never noticed on the DVD. Colors too, colors that I have never seen on the DVD....... like the iridescent shirts and small details on clothing. So much more to see. Words you could not read on the DVD, etc., etc.,

--------I'm glad I didn't wait for HD-DVD.

Thanks again yojimbo 75, you too MikeM.
I totally agree on X-men; it is fantastic. I am completely with you on DVHS as it is a wonderful way to get HD movies. I don't have satellite(although I do have OTA), so this is my primary way of getting HD movies. I also am getting more pleased with the title selection as a greater range of films are being announced. I just wish some of the announced titles would come out. You know...I would have to think that as the prices on the deck continue to drop, more and more consumers will be able to justify these machines if only as a transition deck. Anyway, I hope so because the more hardware sold, the more software that will likely become available.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If WSR Gary and the JVC reps are listening, I'd like to see some IMAX films on D-vhs or D-theater. (Even if I have to look at it sideways because of the aspect ratio issue.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.