1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
4,169 Posts
Great review of the new Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization - under the new Marantz SR6014 AVR equipped with it via the firmware update.

Seems like you lose very little with the "speaker-less" Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization - compared to using Atmos module up-firing speakers.

Pleasantly surprised...

https://hometheaterreview.com/marantz-sr6014-92-channel-av-receiver-reviewed/?page=2
Does it compare it to in ceiling speaker experience or just the upfiring? Always found the upfiring very disappointing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it compare it to in ceiling speaker experience or just the upfiring? Always found the upfiring very disappointing.

Yeah... as anyone might suspect - he says if you have in-ceiling Atmos speakers - you probably won't be thrilled with the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization.

However, very few of the general public have in-ceiling Atmos speakers, a few number more have up-firing Atmos speakers - and that is what the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization is aimed at - those who don't want to put speakers in-ceiling or who don't have/want up-firing Atmos speakers that require a flat ceiling etc.

This new Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization is quite interesting - even though there is just one review of it that I have found so far.

·
Banned
4,169 Posts
Yeah... as anyone might suspect - he says if you have in-ceiling Atmos speakers - you probably won't be thrilled with the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization.

However, very few of the general public have in-ceiling Atmos speakers, a few number more have up-firing Atmos speakers - and that is what the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization is aimed at - those who don't want to put speakers in-ceiling or who don't have/want up-firing Atmos speakers that require a flat ceiling etc.

This new Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization is quite interesting - even though there is just one review of it that I have found so far.
Thank you for replying I did take your time to skim over the article I found it somewhat interesting that the reviewer doesn't even really like Dolby Atmos for movies because they say it takes them out of the immersion Factor we're because it's actually so real that's going over your head that actually does what the filmmakers intend you probably would look at things going over your head and movie I guess it's each is own

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to renowned speaker maker Andrew Jones - he prefers the "up-firing" (or enabled) Dolby Atmos to the in-ceiling speakers.

He claims greater immersion and less discrete sound, etc.

Very interesting, short, YouTube video of him and Digital Trends Caleb Denison discussing it.

·
Banned
4,169 Posts
According to renowned speaker maker Andrew Jones - he prefers the "up-firing" (or enabled) Dolby Atmos to the in-ceiling speakers.

Very interesting, short, YouTube video of him and Digital Trends Caleb Denison discussing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBHDtPu9UJk
Even great engineers can be wrong if they are distracted by the right amount of money. LOL

·
Registered
2,176 Posts

Even great engineers can be wrong if they are distracted by the right amount of money. LOL

Andrew Jones sells upfiring speakers made by Pioneer with his name on them.

·
Banned
4,169 Posts
Thank you I was aware of that I was trying not to mention it directly because I didn't want to just desecrate a good man's name but yes even Andrew Jones can be corrupted into stating that upfiring speakers work well that they work better than ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos effects which just from an engineering standpoint an acoustical standpoint doesn't really hold much weight.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Thank you I was aware of that I was trying not to mention it directly because I didn't want to just desecrate a good man's name but yes even Andrew Jones can be corrupted into stating that upfiring speakers work well that they work better than ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos effects which just from an engineering standpoint an acoustical standpoint doesn't really hold much weight.

If you watch the 7 minute YouTube video linked in post #5 - you would know exactly why he, and others, have come to that conclusion.

Especially the fact that the Atmos speakers in theaters are some 20 feet over your head - which makes for a much more diffused, non-localized sound.

Most consumer homes have 8 feet ceilings, etc.

·
Banned
4,169 Posts
If you watch the 7 minute YouTube video linked in post #5 - you would know exactly why he, and others, have come to that conclusion.

Especially the fact that the Atmos speakers in theaters are some 20 feet over your head - and most consumer homes have 8 feet ceilings, etc.
Well I'm aware of why he especially and the other people have come to that conclusion. LOL. Money money money money money

·
Registered
527 Posts

I recently tried the PSB XA upfires and they literally did 0...ZERO. :)

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Well I'm aware of why he especially and the other people have come to that conclusion. LOL. Money money money money money

Well look at you, all full of class and grace. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
If you're being distracted by overhead speakers, then your setup is wrong or your blame should be at the sound engineer. Atmos in most cases is actually subtle and far more immersive. Something as simple as an echo in a cave, or a flood light turning on...both can have added ambiance using the overheads.

I haven't tried virtualization yet, but it sounds ludicrous that that would give you more immersion.

·
Banned
4,169 Posts
If you're being distracted by overhead speakers, then your setup is wrong or your blame should be at the sound engineer. Atmos in most cases is actually subtle and far more immersive. Something as simple as an echo in a cave, or a flood light turning on...both can have added ambiance using the overheads.

I haven't tried virtualization yet, but it sounds ludicrous that that would give you more immersion.
Yes I agree most of the atmos is more immersive and subtle but the overhead helicopters in Mission Impossible Fallout are not subtle LOL

·
Registered
226 Posts
And this - just after I cut two holes in the ceiling for two top middle speakers.......

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Yes I agree most of the atmos is more immersive and subtle but the overhead helicopters in Mission Impossible Fallout are not subtle LOL

Ha. Yea...love that scene. That's not distracting either, that's as immersive as it gets.

I bet you Andrew Jones watches movies with center channel in mono only...I mean, a L and R stereo sound might be too distracting. Forget about surrounds and back surrounds too while we're at it.

:D

·
Banned
4,169 Posts
Ha. Yea...love that scene. That's not distracting either, that's as immersive as it gets.

I bet you Andrew Jones watches movies with center channel in mono only...I mean, a L and R stereo sound might be too distracting. Forget about surrounds and back surrounds too while we're at it.

:D
Agreed. Atmos is one of the best upgrades I made in my theater.

·
Banned
4,169 Posts
And this - just after I cut two holes in the ceiling for two top middle speakers.......
Don't confuse subtle with it not being amazing an immersive I'll say we're just trying to say if the atmos sound effects take you out of the movie then you're just easily distracted there are plenty of Atmos moments that are not subtle but super dynamic. There is a scene in sicario 2 day of the soldado with helicopters where it feels like they are flying from the back of your theater to the front and out it is amazing plenty of other Atmos moments like that

1 - 20 of 40 Posts