AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched "The Descent" and for those who really want to push their LCDs to see how they handle dark movies, rent it! Two thirds of this film takes place in a cave and has many scenes where most of the screen is black or very dark. There are multiple scenes where creatures are crawling around in the very dark background that are particularly challenging for LCDs.

I would say my set did an okay job with it, but I suspect my old CRT would have done better.

Any other recommendations?

Charles

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can't seem to find it available on HD DVD, just Blu Ray still and that had some playability issues.

Once you go Hi Def, you have a hard time going back to anything else.

We'll see very soon how The Matrix Trilogy in HD DVD looks, talk about testing your LCD. I can't even remember what I watched the original Matrix on, but it was an ol' school CRT...Philco maybe???

Also picked up "Pan's Labyrinth" on standard widescreen DVD last week. It was also quite dark most of the time, but the sunlit scenes looked great on my HD-A2 to my Aquos LC42 D62U. It looked washed out in the dark scenes, nowhere near as sharp as "King Kong" in the spider pit or creepy crawly bugs in the log with Naomi Watts in HD DVD. WOW!

I guess that is the difference between plain ol' 480p DVD and 1080i/p HD DVD/ BluRay lines of resolution. 6x sharper than plain ol' DVD!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blister72 /forum/post/0

Also picked up "Pan's Labyrinth" on standard widescreen DVD last week. It was also quite dark most of the time, but the sunlit scenes looked great on my HD-A2 to my Aquos LC42 D62U. It looked washed out in the dark scenes, nowhere near as sharp as "King Kong" in the spider pit or creepy crawly bugs in the log with Naomi Watts in HD DVD. WOW!

I guess that is the difference between plain ol' 480p DVD and 1080i/p HD DVD/ BluRay lines of resolution. 6x sharper than plain ol' DVD!!!

Pan's Labyrinth just has a crappy transfer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:

I can't seem to find it available on HD DVD, just Blu Ray still and that had some playability issues.

The version I saw was a conventional DVD that was upconverted to 1080i on my Sony DVD player.

Quote:

Once you go Hi Def, you have a hard time going back to anything else.

Amen! However, I was very unimpressed with the HD quality of V for Vendetta.

:-(

Quote:

We'll see very soon how The Matrix Trilogy in HD DVD looks, talk about testing your LCD. I can't even remember what I watched the original Matrix on, but it was an ol' school CRT...Philco maybe???

I have the original on DVD and am very interested to compare both versions. I read that much of the extra footage is in 480i, so I am probably going to just rent the discs.

Quote:

I saw "Pan's" in the theatre and although I loved the film, the quality of it seemed only fair. I just picked up "Pan's" on DVD and will have to try it out on my set.

Charles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.