AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since there is no CD software forum, I'll just post a little comment here. I just listened to Power Windows from Rush, circa 1985. I was fifteen when it came out, and we were still reeling from the severe shift that Rush had taken from before Signals to Grace under Pressure (2 other very great CD's). I wasn't sure I liked it that much then, but it grew on me. I was just testing my old amp with my new speakers, while I am waiting for my receiver to be fixed/replaced or whatever happens. I waded through a few tracks from a few CD's, including listening to an entire Depeche Mode CD while doing some other stuff, but when Power Windows came on, I had to open the CD booklet and read along for the entire CD. Man is that ever an awesome CD with some of the best music and lyrics this side of modern rock and roll. Also, in addition to great music, the songs and lyrics are extremely relevant for today. Anyways....I know a lot of my fondness for the CD comes from nostalgia, but it seems, the older I get, the more I like it. Much like other Rush and Yes CD's. Oh, and another weird thing. Just like the Tragically Hip and Blue Rodeo, I have a weird identifying feeling. It sounds like Southern Ontario in summer and fall.

Ok, thats kinda weird. So what older CD's really hit home for you?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I admit that I'm still impressed with Genesis circa "Selling England by the Pound" and "Trick of the Tail". Aside from some monumental musical moments, they produced some wonderful bass!

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
While we are on the subject of good classic memorable Canadiana, let us not forget April Wine and Max Webster. I am also a Rush-head and have recently been over-dosing again on Grace Under Pressure.

Although I have probably listend to them 1000+ times, I have love Boston's first, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Hear, old Dire Straits, Hotel California. Also, any early-80's song while I was in high-school harkens me back to a gentler era !

- Andy

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The 2 songs that I love to play through my system are Metallica- Enter Sandman and Sad But True.

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its funny, in high school, which is really when I became interested in listening to music, I only listened to certain music. I find now that I listen to just about everything. I notice that the pop music can often have some really pleasing bass. Rock music is good, but generally not what I listen to for bass. Canadiana music is quite nice, and the ones mentioned above are very good. So much music, so little time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmmm.. ALbums that set me off:

Led Zeppelin, IV

Steve Miller, Greatest Hits 72-76

INXS, Kick

Def Leppard, Hysteria

Barenaked Ladies, Gordon

Boiled in Lead, Alloy

Capercaille, Deleruim

Live, Throwing Copper

Mediaeval Baebes, Undretide

Nine Inch Nails, Broken

Shai oN Shai, Human Condition (if anyone can find anything else from them let me know!)

WIlly Porter, The Trees Have Soul

Amoung many others.. (Ok, I listen to a large range of music......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.