AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a place that has these receivers (TU-HDS20) on special for $379 and it seems too good to pass up, but I do not yet have a HDTV set, and I want to be able to hook the receiver up to my computer monitor. I was told this will not hook up to a monitor, so is there any adaptor to to that??

Another thing, has anyone seen those auctions on ebay on how to make your tv or monitor into a 100in. big screen?? Basically all they use is those magnifying sheets that overhead projectors use with a box around the screen to send the light through that sheet. I wonder how a 1080i signal would look throught that kind of setup. OK, I will admit i bought that package(i had paypal funds already in there, so I thought what the heck) and would be willing to send it to someone(postage paid by me)who was willing to try it on a monitor they have hooked up to a HD receiver.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2,121 Posts
I wonder why it's so cheap.

The guys at tweeter told me they are going to stop carrying it.

I haven't seen that many complaints about it. Outside of the slow response.

It definitely has the best picture of all the boxes out there.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Panasonic was discontinuing this product. It's too bad, because this could have been a killer product that became the standard. But they released it with some significant hardware and software problems: a lot of early units have video or audio dropout problems, and the tuning and guide are painfully slow (even with the new software). I have to think that the support, including the hardware upgrades to fix the problems with early units, is so costly that they could not have a positive ROI on the product. The slow tuning and guide are enough to make this a niche product that is primarily attractive to people with systems that support 720p; everyone else has a number of other options. And if you have ever called their STB support group, you know that they aren't generating any additional sales because of the quality of tech support. I think this goes down in history as one of those product plans that could have been great, but died because it was poorly executed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could the discontinuation be due to the Buy out of Directv. One of my customers is a Dish dealer. He may be full of it but he said there will be a massive equipment swap over. HD boxes will not be swapped so they only thing it would be godd for is terrestrial broadcasts.

\\

·
Registered
226 Posts
The merger, or buy-out, or whatever you want to call it, won't even get government approval for at least 9 months. And it will likely take even longer than that. And then, if it does occur, it will be at least a year until they even start an IRD swap out. It will then take another 2 to 3 years before the swap out is complete. All in all, you're looking at 4 to 5 years before you even have to worry about your current STB needing to be replaced.

It's also been stated publicly that ALL IRDs will be swapped out. That means both DirecTV and Dish subscribers will have to change boxes. It's also been stated that the swap out will be done free of charge to customers.

So the short answer is, no. If it's indeed being discontinued, it has nothing to do with the merger. Here's my thinking on what might be going on. Since Zenith just came out with a new box, it's possible Panasonic is getting ready to release a comparable next generation version. But considering that this forum seems to know months in advance about any new boxes being released, I wonder about that.

Thinking back on the actual conversation, he didn't actually use the word discontinued. He said they wouldn't be getting any more because they weren't making any. What a I think really happened is that Panasonic dumped a bunch of the older STBs that have the loud fan and dropout problems to dealers for a cheaper price. I suspect all the sub-$500 ones on the market are the older manufacture dates. Believe it or not, it's still cheaper for them to sell them cheap and field upgrade them than it is to fix them all before they are shipped out.

Can anyone confirm the manufacture date on the ones that Cousins was selling? He told me they sold 171 of them, and I know many of them must have been sold to folks in this forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.