AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if it is ok to post from other forums or not but i read this article and it is GREAT in explaining the differences in the bitstream vs lpcm.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/04/21...with-your-ps3/

the only thing i find funny is that so many people want their receiver to display dts-hd-ma or dolby truehd.

you know what this tells me? it tells me that their ears cant really hear the difference and in order to justify all the dollars they have spent on new gear with hdmi lossless audio they need to at least SEE the difference!!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I guess you don't have new gear with hdmi lossless audio

I also heard those plump juicy grapes that are just out of reach are sour anyways

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg /forum/post/16998881

I also heard those plump juicy grapes that are just out of reach are sour anyways

Actually, like most people on this sub-forum, he probably uses a PS3 as a source, which does not bitstream DTS MA/Dolby TrueHD.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg /forum/post/16998881

i actual had it... didnt hear the difference and didnt like the fact that my dts hd ma light did not light up on the receiver via pcm via the ps3...

stupid sour grapes... lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru /forum/post/16999162

Actually, like most people on this sub-forum, he probably uses a PS3 as a source, which does not bitstream DTS MA/Dolby TrueHD.

ding ding ding... i kind of wish i would have read ten thousand more threads about the ps3 as a blu ray player as opposed to the 5 thousand that i did read praising its greatness....as far as limitations go, you dont really find the annoying shortcomings that easy on a device that is as popular as the ps3...

right now i am considering buying a blu ray player that outs the lossless audio via the multi channel outputs since my new 10 year old yamaha can accept the inputs...

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Guess I misread your original post. I thought the topic was bitstream vs lpcm, not lossy vs lossless. If you can't hear the difference -- why bother getting a dedicated player with multichannel analog outputs? Just stick with good old regular DTS/DD. Because the PS3 is so versatile, I will always choose it over a dedicated BD player.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru /forum/post/17003629

Guess I misread your original post. I thought the topic was bitstream vs lpcm, not lossy vs lossless. If you can't hear the difference -- why bother getting a dedicated player with multichannel analog outputs? Just stick with good old regular DTS/DD. Because the PS3 is so versatile, I will always choose it over a dedicated BD player.

you are right the topic was bit vs lpcm but i think the main reason it is even talked about is because there is no bitstream of the latest 'lossless' codecs. it can only output the dts-hdma/truehd uncompressed lpcm via hdmi as since there are bandwidth limitations on the spdif outputs. so i think bitstream, lpcm, lossless, lossy are all connected with regards to the ps3.

i am agreeing with you about 99 percent about not getting a newer hdmi receiver. my friend has one and with his speakers i can not tell the difference between the lossless dts hd ma lpcm feed into the receiver versus the lossy bitstream of DD/DTS, so i am having a hard time justifying it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts