AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a plan for 5.1 audio in the great room in our new house, but it turns out my ideas won't work. In the photo below, you're looking in to the great room. There are two half walls to the left and right and straight ahead is a centered bump out for the fireplace. To the left of the fireplace will be a built-in which I was planning on using to house my components. The plasma would be mounted over the fireplace.

The original plan was to do in-wall speakers for front, center, and rear. But, as you can see by the photo, on the right side of the fireplace, there is an opening to the guest bedroom area. There is only 10-12" of space over there... certainly not enough room for an in-wall.

So... I'm stuck. I could do four 8" in-ceiling speakers and aim the high-range stuff down towards the seating area. I would also have to have the framers adjust the studs above the fireplace because I can't fit my in-wall center in that space (it would also be off-center). I was really hoping to do everything in-wall so we didn't have speakers everywhere.

Any ideas? I'm not looking for a super home theater here... just something that will sound decent for movies and listening to music. Can I get away with 8" speakers in the vaulted ceiling?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
You probably aren't going to like this, but I'd set up the entire system on that wall to the right. It will take care of all your speaker placement issues. A good buddy of mine has a room laid out like yours, and that's what he did. Works great. He did in-walls for the rear speakers, mounted overhead in that angled section. It'll also get you better display position - usually putting the TV above the fireplace means it's too high. Center-of-screen should be at seated eye level, or no more than 15-degrees above eye level.

The only issue will be a window covering for that window to the left, to keep reflections off the TV screen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the more I think about it, the built-in area is looking like the best spot. It'd be pretty nice with a pan & title tv mount. It would also allow me to put L C R speakers around the tv.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Doesn't look like I made myself clear. I was talking about the wall to the right side of the room (i.e. where the plywood is leaning against the wall in the picture). IOW, when the system and furniture was all set up, the fireplace would be to your left, and the window would be behind you.

Putting the TV and speakers all in the built-in will be about the worst thing you can do. Everything will be stuffed off in a corner, and the speakers will all be so close to each other that they'll be little imaging. IOW, pans from one speaker to another will barely be noticible. With the system set up on the wall to the right, you'll be able to spread the speakers far enough apart to get good imaging.

You could still house all the electronics in the built-in. All you'd have to do is run any cables that would go between the receiver and TV, as well as the three speaker wires. I have a similar set-up in my family room, with all the gear off to the left out of the way, and nothing but the TV and speakers "up front." Looks nice and uncluttered.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt /forum/post/16983575

Doesn't look like I made myself clear. I was talking about the wall to the right side of the room (i.e. where the plywood is leaning against the wall in the picture). IOW, when the system and furniture was all set up, the fireplace would be to your left, and the window would be behind you.

Putting the TV and speakers all in the built-in will be about the worst thing you can do. Everything will be stuffed off in a corner, and the speakers will all be so close to each other that they'll be little imaging. IOW, pans from one speaker to another will barely be noticible. With the system set up on the wall to the right, you'll be able to spread the speakers far enough apart to get good imaging.

You could still house all the electronics in the built-in. All you'd have to do is run any cables that would go between the receiver and TV, as well as the three speaker wires. I have a similar set-up in my family room, with all the gear off to the left out of the way, and nothing but the TV and speakers "up front." Looks nice and uncluttered.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Agree entirely. I hate HDTVs over fireplaces. Even with the tilting mount it still hurts my neck. I have two family members that have done this and it just doesn't work. Putting the setup where you suggested is the most ideal. It will even help with furniture placement going that way.

I would also invest in some dark curtains for that very large window

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, sorry... guess I need to brush up on my left and rights. I like the idea of putting the display and L C R speakers on the wall to the right.

I'm wondering how furniture would be set up in that case. I know this isn't a interior design forum, I was just planning on making the fireplace the focal point.

Thanks for your opinions. -B

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgh /forum/post/16986175

I'm wondering how furniture would be set up in that case. I know this isn't a interior design forum, I was just planning on making the fireplace the focal point.
Well, which will you be watching more, the TV or crackling fires?

As far as furniture set up, the sofa should face the couch, naturally.
Jim's idea for an "L" sofa is a great recommendation that could get you the best of both worlds.

Regards,

Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts