AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, sorry I am total noob when it comes to this. I live in an apartment so space is limited. I just bought a Sony 46NX810 and the speakers suck. I have an Onkyo TX-SR6008 and I am looking for some great speakers for a 5.1 surround sound set up. I really don't have a budget but like I said I do have limited space. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
you need to have some kind of budget or else you'll get recommendations for $500 each speakers. are you looking for floorstanding speakers, bookshelf or little satellite speakers?

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scovarrubias23 /forum/post/19550787

I am thinking maybe some floorstanding our bookshelf speakers and my budget is around $1500 or so for speakers and a sub.

Is there a store near you where you can go and listen to some speakers? Will you be listening to music as well or will it be all just movies?

If you just watch movies, I suggest that you spend the most of your money on the front 3 speakers and subwoofer. Then find some cheap brands you find to finish up your surrounds. Surrounds are less important if you are just using it for movies.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
come on.. a big arse 65 over the fireplace and she wants to complain about size of speakers ? Does not make sense to me.. Room seems like it would be rather large..sats wont fill it properly. Small bookselves at a min..just get pretty one on pretty stands.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR /forum/post/19553249

Is there a store near you where you can go and listen to some speakers? Will you be listening to music as well or will it be all just movies?

If you just watch movies, I suggest that you spend the most of your money on the front 3 speakers and subwoofer. Then find some cheap brands you find to finish up your surrounds. Surrounds are less important if you are just using it for movies.

I will be watching mostly movies/games and some music.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use RC-50's in my apartment and often turn off my sub late at night to appease my neighbors. They are on sale at WWStereo for $300 each, well within your budget. As always though I would recommend auditioning them first if you have a chance, they are my favorite in the price range, but you may like something completely different!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I was an apartment denizen for a lot of years and keeping things friendly with neighbors is pretty important. one solution would be to go with go with some near full range speakers up front so that the sub isn't doing a lot of work, and then set the sub on an isolation pad like an Auralex subdude or gamma for a down firing sub or rubber & cork anti-vibration pads for front firing. Then just turn the sub down at night. For that you could use the discontinued Boston Acoustics VR3/VRC center bundle from OneCall. Add a pair of CR67 bookshelves as surrounds, and perhaps an Elemental Designs A2-300 subwoofer. That all fits the budget including shipping. The matched eD isolation pad only takes you $5 over budget. The ket with this setup is giving those big towers room.

A second, probably easier to integrate into an apartment would be Ascend CMT-340SE bookshelves and center and a pair of HTM-200SE as surrounds (from b-stock to save money) and the same eD subwoofer.

The 608 would drive the heck out of either solution.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you don't have a budget, I would recommend www.orbaudio.com or paradigm atoms. The orbs are fantastic for home theater and decent for music--and they are tiny. The Paradigms I have yet to hear, but they are rated highly and Paradigm has a nice pedigree, so you're likely safe

--TDA

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19555022

I was an apartment denizen for a lot of years and keeping things friendly with neighbors is pretty important.

Yep, I agree 100%.

I had (and still do) a pair of LaScalas AND a pair of EV Interface D's mated with a Yamaha CR-2040 and some dbx stuff...

Certainly enough raw db's to fill a gymnasium, all stuffed into my single bedroom apartments (or 3 bedrooms during college years).

I never (ever) had a single complaint nor even a friendly door knock. Just a matter of respecting the neighbors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keeping things neighbor friendly is a must for sure. Luck for me, nobody lives downstairs and we do have a neighbor upstairs but she plays her music all loud as it is. These are all some great ideas guys! I am starting to lean more towards some bookshelf speakers and a solid sub! Keep these suggestions coming; I'm doing all of my research now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm not sure of your living room set-up, but I know for me it is shared with the dining nook and kitchen. So while I normally wouldn't care for aesthetics, I wanted my speakers to look nice since they would be a huge focal point in my apartment (and not tucked away in some dark home theater).

If I were to start again fresh I would really consider the below package on eBay. I grew up on energies so I am naturally partial to their sound, but I would recommend listing to a set on your own. That said the finish on these speakers is awesome for the price and the RC-10 and RC-LCR dig deep for a set of bookshelves and really blend well with almost any sub. Good Luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Energy-5-0-syste...item20b57a8d41

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
that Energy package above is much better (the bookshelves/center are full-sized speakers) and then add a sub for $400-500 and enjoy

it is being sold by an AVS'er (not me!) so he's trustworthy

that is of course if the real-wood veneer will match your home aesthetically... if you are looking for black speakers then it won't work. FYI - the cherry finish is much darker in person, it looks so orange in the photos because of the flash probably....

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/19577622

that Energy package above is much better (the bookshelves/center are full-sized speakers) and then add a sub for $400-500 and enjoy

that is of course if the real-wood veneer will match your home aesthetically... if you are looking for black speakers then it won't work. FYI - the cherry finish is much darker in person, it looks so orange in the photos because of the flash probably....

+1 - Much, much better.

Ron

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/19577622

I am biased as well, but I don't even think the comparison is close. The DefTech system is most often compared to the Energy RC-Mirco, and the full size RC is such a huge step up from the micros.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avichayil /forum/post/19577663

I am biased as well, but I don't even think the comparison is close. The DefTech system is most often compared to the Energy RC-Mirco, and the full size RC is such a huge step up from the micros.

I'll take a look at the Energy Speakers.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scovarrubias23 /forum/post/19577824

I'll take a look at the Energy Speakers.

You might want to try sending deano86 a PM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 /forum/post/19571498

Hey guys, I am offering this awesome 5.0 set of RC speakers in Cherry at a great savings over my Ebay listing. Offering it at $999 shipped for everything!! An RC-LCR, a pair of RC-10s and a pair of RC-minis.... just drop me a PM...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=22198

1 - 20 of 31 Posts