AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I couldn't resist anymore and bought the Pb-12 nsd. Will be delivered Thursday. But I'm kinda regretting right now. Not sure if I made the right choice.
Background:
I'm in a rental apartment but on the lower ground level. I share no walls except the ceiling. Living room is almost 11*17 with two outlets to the dining room and corridor. My usage is 90% movies and gaming and 10% music.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dilemma:
Obviously I know I will not be able to use the sub to it's full capacity. I do not want cops at my door and I will go up and talk to my neighbors and let them know I have a subwoofer. But my question is will a turned down PB-12NSD be worth it? Or would I have been okay with say a SB-12 or say an Emotiva 10?
Just trying to justify my purchase.

Edit: Accidentally posted without completing the post.

·
Registered
939 Posts
let the neighbors know you have a new speaker and your still learning how it carries, please call if it gets loud.

and get the isolation feet from svs or an isolation pad to help with rattles in the building

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
let the neighbors know you have a new speaker and your still learning how it carries, please call if it gets loud.

and get the isolation feet from svs or an isolation pad to help with rattles in the building
Great tip. i have the SVS isolation feet and they are amazing, also have the Auralex Subdude HT's but now only using the SVS feet.

@Kevin They are worth their price, you can install them in a couple of minutes. just make sure once you do dont try to move or slide the sub as you could damaged the feet, best to pick the sub up and put it back in its location.

always best to let the neighbours know, maybe they can let you even turn it up a couple of hours a day when they are out or not sleeping. On the other hand it's always better to have an over-powered sub than an under-powered one. even if you move to a bigger place later on you could use it to its full potential.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can try to use it extremely nearfield, like I do (less distance between you and the subwoofer than the diameter of the woofer).

That would let you listen far louder before bothering neighbours. But you would need to spend a bit of time tweaking the actual distance and height (in cm/inches), as well as use a relatively low crossover, depending on various factors.

I can listen slightly louder with a subwoofer than I could before, not less loud. :D

Reactions: shivaji

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Dilemma:
Obviously I know I will not be able to use the sub to it's full capacity. I do not want cops at my door and I will go up and talk to my neighbors and let them know I have a subwoofer. But my question is will a turned down PB-12NSD be worth it? Or would I have been okay with say a SB-12 or say an Emotiva 10?

You can piss off the neighbors with a $200 sub that distorts or mains turned up too loud. The PB-12NSD is a great value at its sale price; I think you made the right call. More headroom usually equals less distortion and better sound at regular listening levels.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I'd also add that the new Denon "low frequency containment" function does a pretty good job of neutering bass in small increments if you are forced to do so because of Neighbors. I use it in my living room set up when the wife and kiddo are in bed. Its way better than just unplugging the sub at night and allows some controlled roll off.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Perhaps set up a demo session in where you play a movie at your desired listening level then have a sit-in in the neighbors apartment so you both can know what it sounds like. What may seem as minor to you may not be so for them and the opposite may be true as well.

I did this same test in my home (master bedroom is above my living room). There was some sound and vibration but its minor to me. I'm sure I can turn it down a bit ad still enjoy my movies. I have a HSU VTF-15H MK2 in a 12x21, so I think you'll be fine.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dilemma:

I think spending the extra $100 on the PB12-NSD makes sense. You can't really have "too much" subwoofer. They're extremely easy to tame.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,789 Posts
No, you didn't make a mistake. The PB-12 has a gain/volume knob so you can adjust to taste; low for when the neighbors are home and high for when they're not. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts