AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you list a few or your favorite surround sound movies or scenes, not just bass or explosions (although I do love great bass). Movies or scenes that really pull you in, I especially like realistic effects that put you right in the scene. A few of my favorites are as follows:

1. Master and Commander - not just for the battle scenes but I love the scenes with the creaking sounds of the ship surrounding you.

2. Open Water - I really enjoyed watching this in the dark and getting the errie feeling of being in the water. The sounds of the water all around are really effective.

3. Saw - Another great effects movie that watched in a quiet/dark room you can get pulled in.

Does anyone have any of there favorites they would like to share?

Thanks,

Barry

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Opening scene of Saving Private Ryan and a lot of Black Hawk Down.

Also U-571, while not a great movie, does a GREAT job in the SS department during the requisite "we're taking this sub deeper than it was meant to go" scene....lots of creeking sounds all over the place.

Stealth also is pretty impressive (sound wise).

And there are several movies that have a rain/lightning storms in them that really sounds great.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, those are great also. I think my favorite war surround movie is We were Soldiers.

barry

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

·
Registered
19,128 Posts
Transformers is great all around, especially the Blu-Ray version where the lossless track one-ups the lossy track of the previous HD version.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade for wild dialogue panning moving around over the large THX cinema screen at the Empire Leicester Square was just as crystal clear a few seats from the front and again perfection in the middle sweet spot row upon second viewing on Wednesday 13th September 1989.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I always liked the moment in "Back to the Future" when the Delorean literally burns rubber (at only "88 miles per hour!") and we the audience are meant to experience Marty's astonishment as it seems to pass through us and behind us.

The garbage-munching ghost in the hotel in "Ghostbusters" also had a good rear-channel audio moment.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Recent examples are: Wanted, War, KIng Fu Panda, Cloverfield.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You can check out The Lord of The Rings : Return of The King . Specially the part when Theoden is fighting the olifants with his army. The surround sound in that scene is just astounding.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I still like the scene from Ratatoulle when the old lady with the shotgun blows up her ceiling and the rats scurry all around. The echo effects once the rats get to the tunnel are pretty convincing too.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Flying Daggers...good call. +1

·
Registered
4,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elezzar /forum/post/15521556

You can check out The Lord of The Rings : Return of The King . Specially the part when Theoden is fighting the olifants with his army. The surround sound in that scene is just astounding.

I always use that to wow em with 7.1 DTS-ES when people ask "why the 7 speakers".

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Saving Private Ryan - The beach scene

Spider-Man 2 - Dr. Octavius tritium/fusion demonstration.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Open Range, thunderstorm and final shootout, you must check it out.

·
Registered
476 Posts
+1 for Open Range.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Watched The Incredible Hulk last night and it sounded great. You could really hear the pinging of the shell casings as they hit the ground. Lots of action on the surrounds as well. This was the first movie I've watched since adding my new amp and it made me feel my money was well spent. The smile I had throughout didn't cost me anything, either.

Add me to the list that the Omaha Beach scene in SPR is one of the best.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts