Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I've got an ATI AIW9700 directly connected to my Cable TV wire that comes in from the street. When I look at the resulting TV signal from this card, most of the channels look very bad. When I connect the same cable to my 7 year old Mitsubishi VCR the signal looks good. When I connected the same cable to a Replay 5040, the signal looked a lot better than what I get from the ATI capture card, but still not as good as the Mitsubishi VCR.

My conclusion is that the Mitsubishi has a buch better tuner than the ATI card and I wonder if there are any cards out there that are as good as what I get from the Mitsubishi VCR.

Can any one help me find such a card? I do not need a HD tuner, and would rather not spend the extra cash for such a card unless that is the only way to get quality reception.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Try connecting the AIW to the output of the Misubishi. I bet will look better too. Simple reason that in addition to a tuner, most VCRs also have an amplifier in the stream. Since it is possible to record and watch something else at the same time, some boosting of the signal may be necessary.

My mothers TV used to be connected to a roof top antenna. When she turned off the vcr (pass through) there was almost no signal. When she had it on, it was an acceptable (to her) signal. I think in all actuallity, she was watching TV by the downleads to the antenna.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I just boughtAverTV Box 3. It can work on any monitor and turn it into TV with or without computer.

Paid less than a $100.

As of PC-based stuff, there are plenty of decent USB-based tuners out there, KWorld USB and Aver USB to name a couple.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks for the info and suggestions.

I should also mention that connecting my XBox to the AIW also produces a bad signal, much worse than if I connect it directly to the TV. I really think the AIW tuner isn't all that good.

It is a good idea to consider boosting the signal, but I 'm not sure what connecting the Mitz to my AIW will prove. The Mitz produces a good strong signal that the AIW should happily reproduce. If it doesn't I guess I will then know how bad a tuner the AIW has.

I'll check out the USB tuners you suggested, but I want to try to get the best possible tuner and had the impression (perhaps mistaken) that USB was not the way to go.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
If you do't want USB, there are PCI cards made by both Kworld and Aver.

I am very happy w/my Box3 though which does not care about PC at all and turns any of my 4 17" monitors into TV by demand.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I may be asking a silly question but are you watching the AIW output that's being fed to the AV channel? As I understood it the AIW has an Svideo/RCA out so if your changing the channel on the TV then you won't be picking up the output from the card.

I only thought this might be the case as I didn't think the Xbox had an Svideo/RCA in and you say the output from it is dodgy too.

Stu.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stu -

I wasn't all that clear about what I was doing with the XBox. Instead of connecting the Xbox directly to my TV, I connected it to the composite connector on the AIW. I then told the AIW to display the signal from that source instead of the the signal from the input from the wire connected to the AIW's antenna input.

I don't normally do this, it was just an attempt to test the AIW's tuner.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Galileo-

The Aver TV Box3 sounds interesting, but not for what I want to do. My main goal here is to record shows on my computer so I can watch them later.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
797 Posts
Boy, this thread is already all over the place :)

To return to the original question, I found that by inserting a 10dB boost in the cable leading to my Hauppauge PVR-250's antenna input made a huge difference. The other thing that helped alot was turning DOWN the Contrast and Brightness settings. Apparently, an overly bright/high-contrast signal confuses the MPEG Encoder on my tuner card.

Of course the real problem could be the link FROM your HTPC TO your TV. I use a KD VGA->Component (Progressive, 480p).

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Edmc -

Your idea of a signal amp is excellent and what I'm going to try first. If I get a good one and it doesn't help with the AIW tuner, I'll be able to use it when I get an antenna to recieve HDTV.

Interesting about the high contrast...I thougth that was done on play back.

I'm using the DVI out from the AIW, so I don't think that link is the problem.

Thanks for the helpful info

Tim

·
Registered
797 Posts
> Interesting about the high contrast...I thougth that was done on play back.

Yeah, I thought this too - right up until the time I noticed the difference when I played my MPEG-2 files back with different settings. Mind you, this was the case on the Hauppauge PVR-250. It may very well be different on your ATI AIW...

Let us know how it worked out...

Oh, and be sure you get a signal booster rated for HDTV. At Fry's, I found them in different places in the store. The HD ones had a higher bandwidth rating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hyrax
My conclusion is that the Mitsubishi has a buch better tuner than the ATI card and I wonder if there are any cards out there that are as good as what I get from the Mitsubishi VCR.
I would check out the PVR-250/350 and SageTV at sage.tv. I get better picture quality than my TiVo using the PVR-250 and my choice of Video decoders with SageTV.

JW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.