AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many LCR main speakers that have great woofers that can deliver decent base to around 20 Hz. People who own these speakers without doubt will and should have great subwoofer, too.

If they cross lower frequency to subwoofer, are the low frequency capability on the LCR main wasted?

If not to use cross and just let each speaker handle whatever signal sent to it, it does not seem to be right given the fact that a great subwoofer is there and it can handle low frequency better than LCR mains even themelves have decent low frequency handling capability.

How to fully utilize the full capabilities of the entire speaker system?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
If they cross lower frequency to subwoofer, are the low frequency capability on the LCR main wasted?

Two things...

1. honestly I have yet to hear or read about any LCR with what I truely believe is a good subwoofer.

2. Even if the LCR has a subwoofer in it, its connected to the main speaker and therefore positioning is effected.

I do agree that if you crossover full range LCR setup at maybe 60 or 80Hz you are wasting its low end capabilities but do people cross them over just for movies and for music do they just use the full range LCRs in a two channel setup?

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD /forum/post/14336674

There are many LCR main speakers that have great woofers that can deliver decent base to around 20 Hz.

Oh, yeah? Which ones? I don't know of any LCRs that can reach anywhere near that low. I assume by "LCR" you mean a particular type of bookshelf speaker that is called an "LCR".

Quote:

They can be utilized with a subwoofer and still be run full-range if you prefer. But there are some benefits to be gained by crossing them over, especially if they have limited low-end capability (see first question).

Quote:

If not to use cross and just let each speaker handle whatever signal sent to it, it does not seem to be right given the fact that a great subwoofer is there and it can handle low frequency better than LCR mains even themelves have decent low frequency handling capability.

How to fully utilize the full capabilities of the entire speaker system?

What are you saying? You can run them either way, full-range or crossed over. You can run the speakers full-range and only use the subwoofer to cover the range below which the speakers cannot reproduce. Or you can cross them over at some point higher than their low-end capability and let the subwoofer handle more of the bass. There are good arguments for either. Exactly which you would prefer depends upon the speaker's and subwoofer's capabilities as well as the circumstances. And you may have different preferences for music and HT reproduction. Depending upon the their low-end capability, crossing them over to a sub can have benefits.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are many. Just list two.

The Alexandria x-2 from Wilson is a dream speaker and also is a home decoration. It's just too expensive. A decent dedicated room is probably needed for it.

Specs

Enclosure Type Woofer: Front Ported

Enclosure Type Midrange: Rear Ported

Enclosure Type Tweeter: Sealed

Woofers: One - 13 inch (33.0 cm)

One - 15 inch (38.2 cm)

Midrange: Two - 6 ¾ (17.78 cm)

Tweeter: One - 1 inch inverted dome (2.54 cm)

Super Tweeter: One - 1 inch rear firing (2.54 cm)

Sensitivity: 95 db @ 1 watt (2.83V at one meter)

Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms, 3 ohms minimal

Minimum Amplifier Power: 7 watts per channel

Frequency Rexponse: +0, -3 dB 19.5 Hz - 22.5 kHz

Average in-room response

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/product/alexandria/

Here is aother one Tower SM-1 SERIES from Westlake.

Woofer

2 x 18"

Midrange

1 x 12" (Cone/Mid-Bass) & 1 x 2" (Horn)

Tweeter

1 x 1" (Horn) & 1 x 1/2" (Super Tweeter)

Frequency Response ( +/- 3dB )

20Hz-20kHz

Power IEC Short/Long

400W / 1200W

Sensitivity @ 1m/2.83V

101dB

Crossover Frequency

200Hz / 800Hz / 3.2kHz / 10kHz

Impedance Nominal/Minimum

4/2

Inputs

Gold WBT Connectors for Bi-Amp or Quad Amp

Dimensions: H x W x D (ins.)

75 x 40 x 29.5

Dimensions: H x W x D (cms.)

190.5 x 101.3 x 75

Weight: Lbs. / Kg.

975 lbs. / 442 kgs.

Finish

North American Satin Walnut Veneer

Warranty

5 Years

http://www.westlakeaudio.com/Speaker...ower_sm-1.html

·
Registered
19,768 Posts
I read that the Av123 line array can reach down to 20 hz with authority. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD /forum/post/14337066

There are many. Just list two.

Those are not LCRs.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the av123's MFW-15 dual sub. My SPL meter reads at 80 plus db at about 13-15 Hz. That meter is not specified to measure frequency lower than 300 Hz. But I assure you that the sub can go 15 hz.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14337124

Those are not LCRs.

I just listed that way for easy writing for the left, center and right, of course the center is usually different with L and R. To be extreme for the sound, some experts suggest all 5 (or 7) use the same speaker as the Left and right. That would create difficulty for the placements.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD /forum/post/14337194

I just listed that way for easy writing for the left, center and right, of course the center is usually different with L and R. To be extreme for the sound, some experts suggest all 5 (or 7) use the same speaker as the Left and right. That would create difficulty for the placements.

Just to be clear, an "LCR" is a very specific type of speaker design.

·
Registered
273 Posts
1stHD - You are correct. If you had a crossover setting of say 80 Hz, and set your front/center/surround speakers to "small" in the receiver, then you would be "wasting" the low frequency capability of your fine front-channel speakers. It is precisely for this reason that a lot of people have seperate configuration memories set-up for different listening tasks. The Pioneer VSX-92/94 for example, has 9 memories. Each one can have different speaker calibration settings, speaker sizes, crossover settings, subwoofer on, off, etc. I use one memory for watching movies, with a 80 Hz crossover, speakers set to small, and subwoofer enabled. I have another memory that has a 50 Hz crossover, speakers set to small, subwoofer enabled. Yet another memory has all speakers set to large (thus ignoring the crossover), subwoofer crossover set to 50 Hz, and the subwoofer level turned down about -3dB. I use that last memory for listening to music CDs in stereo.

Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts