AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that almost always when my TV is displaying a white background I will get a blue and green haze on the screen. The blue is always on the left part and the green haze is on the right. It is a TXS3082WHX. Is it possible to fix this? Is this normal? It goes away after awhile when the background is no longer white for 5-10 minutes or so. Its hardly noticeable when the screen is no longer white, but it aggravates me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've seen this on some other flat CRTs too... My grandfather's 24" Thomson has it. It's caused by magnetic interference. The TV has a degaussing system built-in but it seems that it somehow doesn't work properly and leaves the tube with shades of color.

The only fix would be to degauss the tube with an external coil. I believe you can find some info on the net on how to build one. Do NOT try a permanent magnet, you will only make things worse. I have tried it before.
The only other thing close to a degaussing coil is a medium or high power soldering gun, but i've gotten mixed results with mine. Sometime it works, sometime it doesn't. A proper degaussing coil is still the best idea.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If it starts out white and gets discolored in a short time, maybe the contrast is too high, heats up the screen too much. If it's always like that it's purity, or maybe it was dropped. If the set makes a hum at cold startup the degauss circuit is OK.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yeah it could be the contrast, many new sets come way overdriven from the factory, so they look bright at the store. But at least my grandfather's Thomson always had the color areas regardless of picture settings. Using an external degauss coil fixed it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts