AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has come across this issue. I am using Cinemaster video and PowerDVD Audio filters with latest Zoom Player. When I fast forward through any DVD for more than 30 seconds. The picture goes crazy. Green dots show up all over the screen. rows of them up and down. I have to reboot my Windows 2000 HTPC to go back to normal. I did notice this on my Win98 SE setup using 9021 7199 and maybe other drivers. Currently I am using the 6071 drivers. Any thoughts? I have reinstalled drivers from scratch and performed a clean install as well. I think it's either related to drivers or maybe Directx. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yes, I too occassionally have these "green dots" except mine are actually green squares. This has only happened when using the Ravisent video decoder (ATI, CinePlayer) and having hardware acceleration enabled...its never done this under "software only" (knock on wood). And its only happened to me when rewinding. I'd be interested in a "fix" anyone might know about.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yeah, you got me...but I'm only over-clocked to 182MHz...Radeons are supposed to be able to take that speed...right?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by monomer
Yeah, you got me...but I'm only over-clocked to 182MHz...Radeons are supposed to be able to take that speed...right?
I can get 3D graphics stable up to around 180 with my Radeon LE Ultra, but I get green artifacts in DVD playback down to around 165MHz. Try lowering your clock just to see if it helps...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did anyone ever figure out why this happens. I still get it when fast forwarding several times. Any help would be appreciated. No overclocking here at all! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Um... Not to spec (slow) memory device? (frame buffer), Poor power supply regulation / tolerance / noise?, insufficient cooling? All of these issues will be aggravated by overclocking but overclocking may not be necessary if your card/PS/mobo is borderline. Can you swap out / return your card? If not, you may consider underclocking for DVD's as a bandaid workaround.

Dave

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bringing this old thread back up, I am having the same issue. I have not overclocked my card. I tried underclocking it, and I still have this issue. Anybody figure it out? Only occurs when fast forwarding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I run into the same problem occasionally when fast-forwarding or rewinding with my All-in-Wonder Radeon card. BTW, for those of you who have never seen this problem, it only occurs with the video overlay on MPEG2 playback.

I don't think it's an overclocking or power problem (I don't overclock, and I have a good quality power supply with more than enough wattage).

·
Registered
398 Posts
If it only occurs on DVD content when DXVA is turned on, we know about the problem. It may be an issue in the video decoder or the ATI driver. We don't know the exact cause yet. It's in our bug database and we'll continue to investigate it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
About a month ago I swapped all my components over to a different MB (from a VIA to an SiS chipset) a more powerful AMD cpu and a new powersupply...I can FF and REW all I want but I've yet to see the green dots appear again. Both the Radeon video card and the CPU are overclocked. So if it is video decoder or ATI driver related, it must be affected by external factors as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What driver version are you guys using to get the green dots? I'm using the old 7199 with windows98 - perhaps its the older ATI drivers at fault? I'm also using a sis chipset, so I don't think thats the problem. Once the green dots start, I have started powerdvd (usually I use zoomplayer with the cinemaster filters) and it has the same issue. So I don't think its related to the ravisent filters either. Only a reboot fixes the problem.

monomer: are you using the same driver/software versions that you did with your old config? I don't really want to upgrade, but I will if it will fix this problem.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Riff
Once the green dots start, I have started powerdvd (usually I use zoomplayer with the cinemaster filters) and it has the same issue. So I don't think its related to the ravisent filters either. Only a reboot fixes the problem.
You can also fix the problem by doing a mode change also or going out to full screen DOS and back.

The problem appears to be a corruption of some special chroma control memory in the ATI driver, that once corrupted, stays corrupted until a mode change.

The question I need to find out, is how this corruption is occuring. It's on my list of things to look at.

Bob

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Riff,

The OS is the same, WinXP. However the video drivers I've been up-dating as they come out. Right now I'm using 6118 (Catalyst 2.2)...which I believe is the same driver I used before the motherboard/cpu/ps up-grade. I had Cineplayer 4.0 and PowerDVD XP both before and after so the filters are the same versions. (BTW my MB is an ECS K5s7a which uses the SiS735 chipset...and I'm using the lastest OC BIOS 809 by Cheepo)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bob:

Thanks for the help. What exactly is a "mode change"? I'd love to be able to program a fix using girder so that when this happens I can fix it without rebooting. The dos window is an option, but I am wondering if a mode change would be easier. Thanks again,

monomer:

Thanks for the info. I have the same exact motherboard. Maybe I'll try the bios you are talking about.

Rafik

·
Registered
101 Posts
Tried both solutions (dos and mode change) - neither worked on my system. The only way to fix it is a reboot for me. And it seems to affect certain dvds only. If I fast forward at a certain point on one movie, I am able to get the green dots every time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.