AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue Board seems to be the standard product used in my area. I am planning to do two layers of "a sheetrock" product with green glue between. Is there a disadvantage if the "sheetrock" product is blue board instead of standard drywall?

When asked, my thought was as long as BB is at least equal in mass to drywall, it shouldn't matter. The contractor said that BB is heavier, thus I thought it would be fine, maybe better. Am I right?

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments.

Its kind of a confusing thread since local slang and brand names get into this. Kind of reads like "kleenex vs tissue."

The locals seem to indicate that blueboard comes with a layer of plaster on it, and you finish it by plastering the entire surface. Drywall wall the plaster is mostly limited to the seams. There are differences in how it interacts with moisture, too (I think). My suspicion is they are interchangeable for my purposes, as long as I go with whichever is heavier.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Vila link pretty closely covers what I have gathered. I think I am still at heavier = better (w/i price limitations). I guess I wouldn't want to waste a lot of money on a nice plaster job on the layer to be covered, but I am not sure that will be necessary.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
More mass is better. If the BB is indeed heavier than standard 5/8", go for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts