AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has any knowledge of the comparison between using Green Glue and for example, the Owens Corning Acoustic Floor Mat product (I know there are others out there as well) on plywood subfloors. I am extremely concerned not only about acoustics for the room itself, but also for sound isolation from the bedroom that is right below the theater. I've read the specs on the green glue stores website...but didn't see any comparison between these two products.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Dennis, if you are buiding a room within a room and the top plate of the inner room is on top of the OSB, do you screw the OSB ONLY to the lower OSB layer? I cant imagine screwing it all the way to the sub floor that is attached to the rest of the house....

Acoustik - T&G plywood - GG - OSB - pad - carpet

is my plan....

thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
the owens corning mat is, i believe, a foam product (very lightweight). for lightweight (not gypsum concrete or concrete) floors, acoustik mat (ala DE's comment above) is a much better option (though a bit more expensive) because it adds alot of weight. Also, if you glue acoustik mat in between OSB, thsi will add some level of damping.

GG and Acoustik mat (or other rubber mat products, not foam) can be used in conjunction in any of these ways (one described by DE above)

wood

gg

wood

A-mat

subfloor

joists

wood

a-mat

gg

subfloor

joists

IF i had to choose one or the other, i'd be tempted to recommend heavy rubber mats + another layer of OSB over GG plus another layer of OSB. I do not have hard data on this, but the rubber mats will add so much weight to the floor that i suspect they would ultimately prove a tid bit better (but alos more $$$). Maybe i'm wrong and GG will prove better, but that's my guess. Both will help alot.

Use in conjunction is really a good idea, but of course involves more $$.

Brian

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After talking with bpape...

We actually ended up going subfloor-Acoustik mat-osb-green glue-tongue in groove osb...as Dennis suggested.

Ouch my wallet is hurting...but it is all for the sake of a kick @$$ home theater. (at least that is what I keep telling myself)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Jennifer, i hope it turns out great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie /forum/post/0

Do you just screw the T&G OSB to the lower OSB but NOT the subfloor right?

That is one of the reasons Bryan suggested the T&G...there are no nails or screws required...just some construction adhesive to go along the groove on the top layer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.