AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been messing around a bit with calibration, and the borrowed i1d2 I'm using to calibrate my TV reads my green off the scale - 140%, blue at about 40%, and red in the negative.

This is on a 42" Panasonic TH-42PX80U.

I assumed the meter was off until I watched two Blu-rays: Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum, both of which exhibited a distinct green cast.

Assuming the meter is correct, is there anything I can even do to correct such a serious flaw in the settings? This set has settings for cuts and drives for individual RGB values, plus a color and tint setting in the user menu.

Happy to post HCFR graphs if needed. I'm new to this and would appreciate some direction...

Thank you.

Nathan

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laing94 /forum/post/18263683

Happy to post HCFR graphs if needed.

Yes, do that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also which picture mode and color temp have your selected?

Turn off color management which enhances green and blue.

·
Registered
12,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboman /forum/post/18265329

Also which picture mode and color temp have your selected?

Turn off color management which enhances green and blue.

If I'm not mistaken, all that color management does is screw up cyan, which not surprisingly is what you get when you combine green and blue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, here's the RGB level graph...

Color temp is Warm (I'm in Cinema mode, if that helps), and color mgmt is turned off.

PZ80U, I'm especially interested in your input, since it seems you have the 1080p version of my set.

Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
You need to adjust the drives for the individual colors.

First of all make sure you have the right color temp selected in HCFR. Choose Advanced from the menu. Then Preferences, then References. Set Color Space to HDTV - REC 709. And the "Change White" check box should be cleared. The selection should show D65. When I first ran HCFR the wrong value was selected here.

Then read again.

To adjust the RGB value use the DRIVES for the individual RGB values. There is no way to know how many tics you need to adjust them. Try something and measure again. Write down the original values first. You do not need to change the cuts.

From your picture my first try would be to lower Green by 20 tics, raise Blue by 20 tics and raise red by 40 tics.

You can also try measuring other color temps. Maybe one of the others is closer.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Easier to go with continuous measures, after you make an adjustment, wait for 2 measurement cycles to complete (the first will be corrupted with partial data from the old setting before you made the adjustment) to get the new reading.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That graph just looks really fishy to me, like maybe something else is going on. It's ruler straight, but crazy out of balance. I'd second checking to make sure all of your settings in HCFR are correct and making sure that your TV hasn't switched to a different color temp setting (if you've been into the service menu, Panasonics have a tendency to switch to vivid mode). Lastly, I'd want to try testing a couple of other color temps and maybe even testing the meter on another TV (especially if you know that other TV is close). The graph just doesn't look right to me based on what you describe.

·
Registered
12,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrick /forum/post/18277216

That graph just looks really fishy to me, like maybe something else is going on. It's ruler straight, but crazy out of balance. I'd second checking to make sure all of your settings in HCFR are correct and making sure that your TV hasn't switched to a different color temp setting (if you've been into the service menu, Panasonics have a tendency to switch to vivid mode). Lastly, I'd want to try testing a couple of other color temps and maybe even testing the meter on another TV (especially if you know that other TV is close). The graph just doesn't look right to me based on what you describe.

I know what you mean, My TH-42PZ80U in Cinema, Warm at the factory defaults measured red and green at reference with blue too low. DeltaE's were around 5 at each level of stimulus. For a 2008 Panasonic Plasma, that doesn't seem even close to typical.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laing94 /forum/post/18275748

Okay, here's the RGB level graph...

Color temp is Warm (I'm in Cinema mode, if that helps), and color mgmt is turned off.

PZ80U, I'm especially interested in your input, since it seems you have the 1080p version of my set.

Thanks!

Post the entire .chc file (zipped).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here it is.

I'm discouraged, though; with no money to purchase a meter, if the meter I've borrowed is bad, I think I'm throwing in the towel, unless someone in the Central Ohio area is nice enough to loan me a meter, or rent it cheaply.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Color_before_3-5-10.zip 2.8466796875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
12,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laing94 /forum/post/18282644

Here it is.

I'm discouraged, though; with no money to purchase a meter, if the meter I've borrowed is bad, I think I'm throwing in the towel, unless someone in the Central Ohio area is nice enough to loan me a meter, or rent it cheaply.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Something is very, very wrong with those readings.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would have to agree that it's VERY messed up. My guess would be there's something wrong with the meter. Your greens are SO intensely in the green, that they're WAY off the CIE chart, which doesn't even seem possible. If they were accurate somehow, you'd have an extremely green TV and you probably wouldn't notice any other colors.

I'd say the meter.

Do you have another display (TV or monitor [computer or other]) to test the meter on?

Did you select the correct settings and calibrate the sensor and let it warm up on the TV?

This is so insanely odd! wow.

Edit: I see that you indeed did select "plasma" for the sensor calibration. Try choosing "LCD" and see if that happens to change your measurements perchance. Hope something here helps.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Since the meter you are using is borrowed, what did its owner think of the results on his display? I'm not sure what the problem is (the meter does seem a likely culprit) but there is definitely a problem. Presumably if the meter is faulty, however, it should give wonky results all the time--including when your friend measures his display. I'd be curious to see a couple tests. One would be to have you measure another display in your house (if you have one) and another would be to have your friend measure his display. I'm thinking that if we have consistently crazy readings, it will implicate the meter. If the other TV you measure comes out with believable results then there is either a TV error or user error. If your friend's TV measures ok when he tries it, then I would lean toward user error.

Anyway, I suspect that many of us are willing to help you as much as possible, we just have to do some diagnostics first. And when I speak of the possibility of user error, please understand that I'm not insulting your intelligence in the slightest--there are just a ton of settings that can easily be messed up and give really weird results. Right now we are just grasping at straws, knowing something is really messed up somewhere in the chain. If you still want to give calibration a go, see what other information you can get for us to help us track down the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laing94 /forum/post/18263683

I've been messing around a bit with calibration, and the borrowed i1d2 I'm using to calibrate my TV reads my green off the scale - 140%, blue at about 40%, and red in the negative.

This is on a 42" Panasonic TH-42PX80U.

I assumed the meter was off until I watched two Blu-rays: Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum, both of which exhibited a distinct green cast.

Nathan,

Actually, if the meter is measuring a horrible green cast and your eyes are also seeing a horrible green cast, then I would not suspect that the meter is bad but I'd suspect that something in your video chain is not acting right. Maybe if you can give more details with regard to how you have things set up. Are you using HDMI and is it being routed through a receiver? If yes, then the first thing I'd try is to hook it up directly to the display and see if anything changes.

hope this helps,

--tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tom,

Thanks! Actually, I wouldn't describe what I'm seeing as a horrible green cast. It may have been a touch of placebo effect.

I'm running a PS3 set to Rgb Limited via HDMI through an AVR and HDMI into my Panasonic PX80U.

I don't have any other displays to run this on, and the person I borrowed this from uses it for photography, but I did run a test on my LCD laptop monitor using the LT and its Match software, and it didn't read the greens off the scale.

Also, Ive tried both Plasma and LCD settings in HCFR, to no avail. With very limited time and income, I think that unless I can find a reliable meter somewhere, I'll have to find some settings (including service menu settings) that have kept other users happy with this TV.

I'd like to keep this alive, but it's occupied more time and attention than I thought it would (I'm finding that out with many facets of this hobby...), and I think I'll have to come back when I have more time and money.

Thanks, everyone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts