AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built a new htpc. after putting everything together when I turned the power nothing happened and there is only a green light on the motherboard.

I thought that PSU is faulty. so tried to jump start the PSU and

it works fine.

took everything out and tried to put it again and still its the same.

to check if RAM is faulty, removed the RAM and powered it up and still its the same?

tried with the minimal setup ( just RAM and CPU. NO HDD or DVD) still the same green light.

is the PSU not giving enough supply to power the board? or could the motherboard will be faulty? if the motherboard is faulty can the green light still work?

can someone help me on what could be wrong?

my spces are:

motherboard is Intel DH57JG

processor is Intel i3 550

RAM is 4gig ddr3 1333 (one stick) Patriot PSD34G13332

No GPU

case is apex mi-008 ( the psu is 250W, it comes with the case)

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini0603 /forum/post/19558255

I just built a new htpc. after putting everything together when I turned the power nothing happened and there is only a green light on the motherboard.

it works fine.

to check if RAM is faulty, removed the RAM and powered it up and still its the same?

tried with the minimal setup ( just RAM and CPU. NO HDD or DVD) still the same green light.

is the PSU not giving enough supply to power the board? or could the motherboard will be faulty? if the motherboard is faulty can the green light still work?

my spces are:

No GPU

Does it post? Do you get any beeps when the power button is pushed? Is the CPU fan spinning?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/19558269

Does it post? Do you get any beeps when the power button is pushed? Is the CPU fan spinning?

nothing other than the green light on the motherboard. cpu fan does not spin and the psu fan also does not spin. I tried to jump start the psu and the psu fan runs when jump started.

if the motherboard is bad would the light still glow on the board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/19558296

Do you have the Processor voltage connector plugged in also?

yes 2x12 and the 2x2 both are connected.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini0603 /forum/post/19558334

nothing other than the green light on the motherboard. cpu fan does not spin and the psu fan also does not spin. I tried to jump start the psu and the psu fan runs when jump started.

if the motherboard is bad would the light still glow on the board?

Yes, the light can still be green even if the board is bad.

Make sure the power button and other headers are connected correctly. Its odd that the CPU fan won't even spin up even for a second or two.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/19558358

Yes, the light can still be green even if the board is bad.

Make sure the power button and other headers are connected correctly. Its odd that the CPU fan won't even spin up even for a second or two.

all the headers are connected properly. just the green light. can the power switch on the case be bad and so it does not turn the power on?

can the power switch on the case be bad?

·
Registered
328 Posts
First check the power switch either hook up to the wrong connector or backwards on the motherboard or the switch may be bad. The light you describe sounds like it is the standby power indicator.

If this is not it, your motherboard may be grounded somewhere. Remove the board from the case, set it up on some foam, put the memory in and connect the power supply. Leave you hard drive disconnected. See if you can post. If so turn off and hook up your hard drive. See if it will boot. If so then there is a good chance that you shorted out the MB. This can happen by over tightening the mounting screws, or some metal shorting out somewhere between the MB and case.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBCOB /forum/post/19559111

First check the power switch either hook up to the wrong connector or backwards on the motherboard or the switch may be bad. The light you describe sounds like it is the standby power indicator.

If this is not it, your motherboard may be grounded somewhere. Remove the board from the case, set it up on some foam, put the memory in and connect the power supply. Leave you hard drive disconnected. See if you can post. If so turn off and hook up your hard drive. See if it will boot. If so then there is a good chance that you shorted out the MB. This can happen by over tightening the mounting screws, or some metal shorting out somewhere between the MB and case.

the green light which I mentioned is near the 24 pin connector.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Like SUBCOB said, the green light is a +5v standy light. Do a bench test on the system like SUBCOB mentioned. You could short the 2 power pins with a screwdriver to see if the switch is bad. Possible the CPU or fan isn't seated properly, reinstall both.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini0603 /forum/post/19558255

it works fine.

What do you mean by "jump start"?

I have two EE degrees, but no idea what you mean.

Quote:

Actually I like to assemble everything outside the case first. It's easier to see & hear if anything goes awry.

Quote:

my spces are:

No GPU

Verify that the input voltage switch (the red slider near the power receptacle on the PSU) is set to "115".

Regards

P.S.

If you did something like this for "jump starting" the PSU:
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-...upply-psu.html

then

1. that is not a good idea or test because the PSU is unloaded, and a switch-mode PSU should not be operated without a minimum load.

2. just because the internal fan spun up does not mean that the 12v, 5v and/or 3.3v rails are all good.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z /forum/post/19559613

What do you mean by "jump start"?

I have two EE degrees, but no idea what you mean.

Actually I like to assemble everything outside the case first. It's easier to see & hear if anything goes awry.

Verify that the input voltage switch (the red slider near the power receptacle on the PSU) is set to "115".

use a paper clip on the 12v power supply and check if the psu fan works. there are so many videos in youtube for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoIMkx6Uuzg

yes its set to 115v.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini0603 /forum/post/19560287

if the RAM is bad, still the cpu fan should spin correct?

and if I connect the sata cable from the psu to the dvd drive, shouldn't the dvd drive eject button work?

1. Even if the RAM is bad the computer should start up (lights come on, fans spin, hard drives spin, etc) for a few seconds and then shut down. You should hear a "beep" if there is a speaker hooked up to the motherboard and this is first part of the "post". After that you should see the bios screen.

2. Yes, it should eject.

Sounds like it could be a bad PSU. That's why I like full ATX PSU from reliable manufacturers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
guys finally it worked. I connected the floppy drive 4 pin to the motherboard where you need to connect the chasis fan, and thats the reason nothing happened.

as soon as I removed the floppy 4 pin from the motherboard it worked fine and it booted up.

thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini0603 /forum/post/19565825

guys finally it worked. I connected the floppy drive 4 pin to the motherboard where you need to connect the chasis fan, and thats the reason nothing happened.

as soon as I removed the floppy 4 pin from the motherboard it worked fine and it booted up.

thanks all for your help.

Well that's a new one. Glad I've never done anything like that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts