AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad's plasma will occasionally turn completely green when changing channels on his Comcast HD cable box (Motorola DCH3200). Has anyone experienced this, and if so, how expensive a repair is this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I callied Panasonic and the tech I spoke to was familiar with this issue. It has something to do with Motorola cable box supplied by Comcast. She had me go into the secret "user setup" menu in the cable box (menu appears on a white screen on the TV) and change the 4:3 override and the Additional HDMI settings. If you have this issue, call Panasonic. So far, the solution seems to work.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffM /forum/post/19542842

My Dad's plasma will occasionally turn completely green when changing channels on his Comcast HD cable box (Motorola DCH3200). Has anyone experienced this, and if so, how expensive a repair is this?

This used to happen from time to time on all my various plasma and LCD TVs as well as friends' and neighbors' TVs - but it's caused by the cable boxes and is not a problem with the TV.

It may be caused by the resolution change when changing from say a 720p channel to a 1080i channel, so one possible solution would be to go into the cable box's output settings menu and change the output resolution setting to 1080i only. I've found that this makes the picture crisper and more detailed, with the added benefit of eliminating all the screen contortions that occur when changing channels with different resolutions. Try setting your Dad's cable box to 1080i only, and de-select all the other resolutions and pass-through settings if any. See if that stops the green screen problem.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffM /forum/post/19556821

I callied Panasonic and the tech I spoke to was familiar with this issue. It has something to do with Motorola cable box supplied by Comcast. She had me go into the secret "user setup" menu in the cable box (menu appears on a white screen on the TV) and change the 4:3 override and the Additional HDMI settings. If you have this issue, call Panasonic. So far, the solution seems to work.
Griff; could you expand on this a bit further? What precisely did you change? I have the exact same problem with a P42G25 I just got yesterday (using Comcast and the identical STB). I thought it was the TV and was all set to bring it back, but based upon what you're saying I might be able to simply adjust the STB and be done with it.

Randy; does your recommended fix have negative consequences? If it works without any issues then I'd certainly try that too. I've watched the TV for a grand total of 3 hours -- which, BTW, happens to be my first HDTV -- and already those screen contortions you referred to are driving me nuts.

One thing I'm concerned with though is what does a 480i signal look like when it's been "upconverted" (for lack of a better term) to 1080i. Seems to me the picture would probably suffer from some type of undesirable side affect due to the conversion, but that assumption is purely theoretical.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts