AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a search, and I know roughly what's going on, but all the threads are a few years old, so I thought I'd see if there are any updates. I'd like to know why my intermittent green screen suddenly turned to constant green screen a few days ago?

My TV is a Sony KDS-R60XBR1 and my Motorola Box is 6416 III. We've been getting the green screen when we first turn on the TV(any channel, not just HD) for over a year now, but we were always able to resolve it by cycling thru the TV inputs back to the DVR input and the green screen wouldn't come back till next time the TV was turned on. Well a few days ago that stopped working and we now get constant green screen all the time, even after cycling inputs. After each DVR reset there is a TV picture but also a message saying "Your HD content protection has been compromised, please use Yb..." then green screen. THIS HAPPENS ON ALL CHANNELS AND EVEN THE DVR MENU. Anything being sent from the DVR to the TV will turn to green screen in about 3 seconds.

I talked to my cable provider which is Delta Cable(an Eastlink company) and their tech support guys don't know what's going on and just try the usual reset and what not. I was able to get the tech guy to start a corporate activation to try and get the guys in suits talking to Motorola to try and fix this issue. We'll see what good that does.

I tried the suggested fix of going into the menu on the DVR(very hard to do when the green screen comes on in about 3 seconds) and setting the 4:3 Override to OFF, but that didn't work.

Does anyone have any helpful information for me? My cable company also offers a Pace Tahoe box, but I know nothing about it and how it compares to our Motorola box and if it would even resolve this issue?

Thank you for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the LG 47" 1080p LCD HDTV** (47LF21) - Best Buy Exclusive. I recently started having a problem when trying to watch it using my Eastlink DVR (Motorola DCT6416 III). I have it connected using a HDMI cable (I tried 2others as well). When I power on the cable box the picture comes on for 3-5 seconds then the whole screen goes green. It doesn't matter if it's HD channels or regular cable. I've tried all HDMI inputs on the TV. The Eastlink repair guy came over with a new box. It does the same thing. If I hook up using the component cables it works fine or if I plug the cable directly from the wall into the back of the TV it works fine except no HD.

I tried reading through the TV manual and making some adjustments to the TV but nothing has worked.

I have a Western Digital media player (WDTV) connected via HDMI and it works fine.

The repair guy insisted that it is the TV with the issue since we tried two DVR cable boxes and three HDMI cables. The WDTV works fine with HDMI.

I've recently started looking around and have seen quite a few others that are experiencing this issue and it all seems to be related to HDCP and Motorola DVR boxes.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray1982 /forum/post/18158459

I've done a search, and I know roughly what's going on, but all the threads are a few years old, so I thought I'd see if there are any updates. I'd like to know why my intermittent green screen suddenly turned to constant green screen a few days ago?

My TV is a Sony KDS-R60XBR1 and my Motorola Box is 6416 III. We've been getting the green screen when we first turn on the TV(any channel, not just HD) for over a year now, but we were always able to resolve it by cycling thru the TV inputs back to the DVR input and the green screen wouldn't come back till next time the TV was turned on. Well a few days ago that stopped working and we now get constant green screen all the time, even after cycling inputs. After each DVR reset there is a TV picture but also a message saying "Your HD content protection has been compromised, please use Yb..." then green screen. THIS HAPPENS ON ALL CHANNELS AND EVEN THE DVR MENU. Anything being sent from the DVR to the TV will turn to green screen in about 3 seconds.

I talked to my cable provider which is Delta Cable(an Eastlink company) and their tech support guys don't know what's going on and just try the usual reset and what not. I was able to get the tech guy to start a corporate activation to try and get the guys in suits talking to Motorola to try and fix this issue. We'll see what good that does.

I tried the suggested fix of going into the menu on the DVR(very hard to do when the green screen comes on in about 3 seconds) and setting the 4:3 Override to OFF, but that didn't work.

Does anyone have any helpful information for me? My cable company also offers a Pace Tahoe box, but I know nothing about it and how it compares to our Motorola box and if it would even resolve this issue?

Thank you for any suggestions.

It definately sounds like a HDCP handshake issue. Not sure how you have it connected now to TV, but consider using component cables. You will notice no difference in pic quality compared to HDMI and all the problems with HDMI HDCP should go away.

Cable boxes are notoriously bad at HDMI handshake. Many of the boards are litered with people describing your issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I still have not resolved my issue. I have recently purchased a BluRay DVD player and it seems to be having the same issue. The only difference is that the screen turns black instead of green.

I'm going to start looking into flashing the BIOS on the 47LF21 to see if that helps. Now I need to find out how to do that!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure if my problem is related or not...

Here's my setup.

1. Comcast cable box > HDMI 1.3a cable > LG 42LH30 LCD (HDMI Port 1)

2. Samsung DVD-1080P9 > HDMI 1.3a cable > LG 42LH30 LCD (HDMI Port 2)

3. Asus laptop > HDMI 1.3a cable > LG 42LH30 LCD (HDMI Port 3)

1. The screen flickers and will not show any picture or sound. The only picture that shows through is the channel guide for a split second here and there. This is tested on all 3 HDMI ports. Component connection works fine.

2. LG LCD receives signal from DVD player but then goes to blank black screen. No picture or sound. This is tested on all 3 HDMI ports. Component connection works fine.

3. Asus laptop works perfectly. Picture and sound works on all three HDMI ports on the LG LCD.

Things I've tried:

Alternate HDMI 1.3a cables

Alternate HDMI ports

"Refresh" LG LCD

Tested cable box and DVD player on another TV using HDMI (worked)

Placed a 3-1 HDMI switch between each device. Laptop is the only one that worked.

Tried multiple power on cycles.

Think this could be related? I tried the switch trick and had no luck. Let me know if you find an answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After getting LG to send a guy out to look at it they replaced the main board. There's only two boards in there but the one they replaced had the HDMI inputs on it. Tested it out and it worked great... for 2 weeks.

Suddenly (Christmas eve @ 9pm) the TV starts shutting off by itself. This was not good since we were having a bunch of people over for Christmas dinner! I put an online request for a support call into LG on Christmas day (still haven't heard back). Made it through that day but on Boxing Day I got fed up, unplugged the TV and took the back off to have a look for myself. I do tech support on computers for a living so I figured troubleshooting was troubleshooting.

I started by looking at the board that had been replaced. I checked the connections and reseated anything that could be. All seemed fine. I looked at the other board and noticed one of the cables was not seated in flush. I gave it a little push but it stayed out a bit. I unplugged it, it has two rows of pins (like an IDE hard drive connection but smaller) and the two top pins were bent! I get my mini screwdrivers, straighten the pins, plug in the cable, put the TV back together and power it on. IT WORKED!!!

This was not the board that the local repair guy looked at. He never even touched this one. I believe this was a problem from when the TV was assembled by LG.

I'm guessing that there was enough contact between the pins and the cable that the TV would work for a bit. Maybe the pins that were bent weren't as necessary as the others. I truly don't know. All I do know is the TV is working great. I just wish I didn't have to go through all of this.

As far as my support call... my warranty ran out on Dec. 27th, that's why I put the call in on Christmas day. I realize I probably voided the two days I had remaining but I wasn't going to wait around for LG and watch TV for 10 - 20 seconds at a time! I may call them up and check the status.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any up date on this? I have a Son7 XBR6 and Comcast Motorola HD box and occasionally get green screen. I'm looking to see if there is a solution. This is such an old problem with very little recent news, I have to believe it has been solved somewhere. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.