AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this their website? http://www.greengluecompany.com/

And also, since I've never seen and used it, what happens when you screw the second layer of drywall? Does it squeeze out the greenglue so much which results to the second drywall touching the first drywall?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/12859690

That's their website.

Here is their application instructions.
http://www.greengluecompany.com/gree...pplication.php

I don't think the screwing technique is a big issue.

I confused myself that greenglue was used for sound isolation.
I now remember that it's for dampening sound. Am I correct?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Yes, a viscoelastic dampening compound (I just wanted to say that, makes me feel smarter).

·
Registered
522 Posts
sticky, rubbery, gooey, and green!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty /forum/post/12859824

I confused myself that greenglue was used for sound isolation.
I now remember that it's for dampening sound. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Well, it also increases the STC of a wall, so it must also be for sound isolation/reduction.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Would the added cost of this vs. regular liquid nails be worth it for a stage and riser?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds /forum/post/12872294

Would the added cost of this vs. regular liquid nails be worth it for a stage and riser?

GG doesn't get rock hard from what I've read. Liquid nails(LN) does get really hard which is bad. LN then does becomes a highway for sound transmission. Audio experts please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts

Quote:

Very different products that work very differently. The only comparison is that they both come in a tube. GG is designed to dampen sound energy from traveling from one surface to the next, liquid nails is designed to couple two surfaces together.

·
Registered
522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty /forum/post/12872397

GG doesn't get rock hard from what I've read. Liquid nails(LN) does get really hard which is bad. LN then does becomes a highway for sound transmission. Audio experts please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

You are correct, GG never hardens. The closest thing I can compare it to is the sticky clear glue you see on the back of credit cards that attaches them to the paper in the envelope when you get one in the mail. woah, long sentence!

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I compare dried Green Glue to Gummy Bear candy. About the same tack factor, "squishiness", and they come in green

Liquid nails is not suitable for this application. It would be a waste of money. That money would be better applied to even a 50% coverage pattern of GG.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd /forum/post/12873411

Very different products that work very differently. The only comparison is that they both come in a tube. GG is designed to dampen sound energy from traveling from one surface to the next, liquid nails is designed to couple two surfaces together.

I understand, but is their any advantage to using GG for these purposes considering the additional cost. I believe GG and LN cannot be used together looking at their literature.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do Not use LN with Green Glue. If you are going to start mixing products try a liquid silicon gel. It is a two step Process. I guess you would not use any of the hardner or very little. Some expermentation would be needed. Howerver I am no expert and just thinking out loud for everybody to hear.

·
Registered
522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds /forum/post/12874634

I understand, but is their any advantage to using GG for these purposes considering the additional cost. I believe GG and LN cannot be used together looking at their literature.

i think there will be an advantage as you will be damping the stage and riser some. you can use LN in place of screws most certainly, but any other use or defineately mixing them would not work. GG alone will not hold your riser or stage together so screws or LN will be needed. same applies to drywall, flooring, and any other GG use.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
thanks guys, so is the difference in price to get GG and use with regular nails/screws worth it over just LN and regular screw? i.e. will the difference even be known (heard) considering both will be carpeted?

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:

Probably not worth using either in these two applications. I used three layers of plywood with roofing felt between each layer and plenty of screws. If you have extra GG or LN, couldn't hurt, but I wouldn't go out and purchase more.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay /forum/post/12886150

Probably not worth using either in these two applications. I used three layers of plywood with roofing felt between each layer and plenty of screws. If you have extra GG or LN, couldn't hurt, but I wouldn't go out and purchase more.

Thank you. Very informative answer. What thickness ply did you use?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts