AVS Forum banner

5501 - 5520 of 12638 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,423 Posts
Getting WUNL-DT in north Greensboro. Remember that -2 is only on OTA from 8pm to 11pm and while -2 is on, -4 and -5 are off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Hello all,

I would like to get your opinions as to the best roof mounted antenna for local HD channels for me.

I am in Winston Salem, just south of business 40 near downtown. I am running a Panasonic TH-50PH9UK 50" plasma with a Hisense DB2010 STB for tuning. I like the Winegard MS2000 Metrostar because it won't need a rotor and I just like the way it looks.
Would this be a good choice? If not, what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddard /forum/post/12702848


Hello all,

I would like to get your opinions as to the best roof mounted antenna for local HD channels for me.

I am in Winston Salem, just south of business 40 near downtown. I am running a Panasonic TH-50PH9UK 50" plasma with a Hisense DB2010 STB for tuning. I like the Winegard MS2000 Metrostar because it won't need a rotor and I just like the way it looks.
Would this be a good choice? If not, what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about how something looks. Nine times out ten, something that looks good doesn't work good. Performance is all you should care about. I will put up with my ugly antenna that picks up everything I want to watch over your pretty antenna that doesn't pick up anything. That is the attitude you have to have.


Here is a URL that compares some of the most popular antennas. Remember that even though all of the digital stations are on UHF, in 14 months some will go back to VHF, so you need to take that into account as well. In the area, you will have digital stations on channel 3, 8, 10, 11.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html


As a matter of fact, this site has all kinds of facts about HDTV and antennas that can be helpful to a beginner. And of course we will be happy to answer any question you might have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I was kidding about the looks. As long as it pulls in the stations, I don't care is it looks like a bunch of coat hangers tangled up together!

I had forgotten about the coming VHF stuff. I'll definitely be mindful of that when choosing an antenna.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Something strange... I'm in Winston 27107.


I have a digital tuner which works ok with a small portable antenna. Minimum amount of gain. I get 8.1 (wghpdt) , 2.2 and 12.2 weather and 2.1 (wfmy) sometimes good enough for digital reception. I want to receive all local programs, particularly UNC TV. I have a better antenna, currently mounted in the attic. It's omni UHF. I plan later to add an external and having a dual digital tuner up in the attic which would have one tuner connected to the UHF and the other to a directional to get Charlotte programming and run cat-5 from there so that I dont have to deal with loss of signal.


Currently, I run this antenna with integrated amp, to a power injector also in the attic, then to the cable input on the side of the house (I dont have cable), which then is distributed to 5 jacks. This is all done with high quality cables and connections. Now, a 5 way split does attenuate the signal, but I have an old TV with analog tuner and it receives pretty well through the wall jack:


WFMY 2 (ok, a bit snowy)

WBTV 3 (not clear - after all it is mostly a UHF antenna)

WUNC 4 (very snowy)

WGHP 8 (some cyclic video noise) on both channels 7 and 8

WSOC 9 (sound only)

WXII 12 (perfect)

WGPX 16 (snowy)

WTWB 20 (good)

WUNL 26 (a bit snowy)

WXLV 45 (good)

WMYV 48 (very good)


So it appears it's not working too good on lower VHF and upper UHF (no reception of 58 and 61).


But anyway, this is a better situation than with the small antenna so I connected the digital tuner to it and.... nothing.


Really weird. Am I below threshold for digital, yet get all of the above?


Maybe an amp to compensate for the 5 way split?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,423 Posts
WXII-DT and WUNL-DT are the only digital stations on Sauratown Mt. The rest of the digital stations are south of Greensboro at Level Cross and Randleman.


You say "omni antenna.' Do you mean a saucer antenna? Terk 55 antenna? If you have either one of those, GET RID OF THEM. They don't work. You might want to look at a Channel Master 4228 or similar antenna. It will also do a decent job at channel 8 as well.


A 5 way splitter cuts the signal down to 35% of what you start out with. Also the fact that you have the antenna in the attic attenuates the signal to start with also. With your current setup, putting an amp in will just increase the line noise and you will not really receive anything. It sounds like you need to start with an antenna and then move on from there. Take into account that post Feb 17, 2009, WGHP will move from UHF back to VHF channel 8.


You want to use a good quality RG-6 coax cable with NO splices anywhere except at the 5 way splitter. Make sure the F connectors are crimp on or compression type. NEVER use screw ons. They are too lossy. If you need an amp, because of living in a populated area, do not put anything more than 15dB in line or you will overload the receiver. Unlike analog, an overloaded receiver will not decode a digital signal.


Let's start with that and see if that doesn't help some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking everything was ok as far as cabling since I assumed all done by cable installer (previous owner had high speed internet access). However it turns out that the previous owner added a few things...


I ended up finding some RG59 cables and 3 more 2 way splitters. I removed 2 of the 2 way splitters going nowhere and restoring the original layout as the cable company had done. All is RG6. What I used in my part of the install is RG6 quad shield. Basically it goes from antenna, to short cable to power injector, to long cable to grounding unit, then there is a 2 way splitter which I had not noticed before, with one cable going to the 5 way splitter and the other to a closeby jack in the house. I connected the tuner to that jack and what do you know, I got a signal.


On the analog side I get 2,3,8 (I get mains harmonics on the video signal that might be caused because the power injector/electric wiring is too close to the antenna),12,16,18,20,26,36,45,46,48 and 61. The hybrid tuner will not get 4 and 9 (the old analog tv was able to), but mostly as noted previously, although the borderline channels looked better. On the digital side I did get:


WFMY-DT 2.1 and 2.2

WGHP-DT 8.1

*WX+ 12.2

*WCWG-DT 20.1

*WUNL-DT 26.1, 26.2, 26.3, 26.4, 26.5

WXLV-DT 45.1

WMYV-DT 48.1

WLXI-DT 61.1


*some issues


The antenna is a Philips MANT940. The antenna is mostly omni, but with a front lobe that is aligned toward east/southeast, eyeballed. I will try to align with my compass, if need be. It seems good enough to get all the digital broadcast coming from that direction.


The fact that I cant receive WXII-DT 12.1 (or is 12.1 down?) and borderline 12.2 and that I lock on WUNL but is unwatcheable on any of the channels tells me that I need to point to Sauratown Mt. This is about 25 miles a few degrees left of north, so omni apparently is not good enough for that. I was trying to avoid a more complicated setup.


I also cant get a good enough signal on WCWG-DT. Where is their transmitter?


So pre 5 way splitter, it is real close to where I want to be.


Now going back to the 5 way splitter, if the signal from the antenna is good enough, would an analog distribution amp work ok for this? I have one somewhere in a box. The other thing is that I dont really need that many jacks, so maybe I can rearrange this a bit


At any rate, longer term, I'll have networked tuners broadcasting UDP over cat5, so I dont want to sink too much money on the analog distribution side of things.


Finally, does fox 8 not have a secondary channel? And is there no one broadcasting test patterns or music on extra channels?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdion /forum/post/12735662


I also cant get a good enough signal on WCWG-DT. Where is their transmitter?

Same tower as WXLV-DT, WMYV-DT and WXLI-DT at Level Cross.

Quote:
Now going back to the 5 way splitter, if the signal from the antenna is good enough, would an analog distribution amp work ok for this? I have one somewhere in a box. The other thing is that I dont really need that many jacks, so maybe I can rearrange this a bit

Do not put more amplification than what you need to overcome the loss in the splitter. To do more than that will add noise and degragate what signal you have. They do make amplified splitters that match the loss in the splitters to equal it out and that is the way I would go.

Quote:
Finally, does fox 8 not have a secondary channel?

No, we currently do not.

Quote:
And is there no one broadcasting test patterns or music on extra channels?

Not currently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng /forum/post/12729981


You might want to look at a Channel Master 4228 or similar antenna. It will also do a decent job at channel 8 as well.

Do you think the 4228 will do an ok job for VHF channels below 8 in this area? I know (from reading the antenna link you provided....thanks again) it is not really a VHF antenna. Also, is there a happy medium for a direction setting that can get the Sauratown stations along with the Greensboro area or would I need a rotor? (My zip is 27101)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddard /forum/post/12751807


Do you think the 4228 will do an ok job for VHF channels below 8 in this area? I know (from reading the antenna link you provided....thanks again) it is not really a VHF antenna. Also, is there a happy medium for a direction setting that can get the Sauratown stations along with the Greensboro area or would I need a rotor? (My zip is 27101)

The 4228 is a UHF but for VHF high band (channels 7-13) it will work, meaning if you live within the market and the VHF station is full power, maybe not great, but OK. Below channel 7, it will not work at all.


The 4228 isn't an omni antenna, but depending on where are you and where you have to point, it can act like an omni. For instance, I live in Greensboro. If I point my 4228 on my roof to Sauratown Mt, I can still pick up 2, 8, 20, 45, 48 and 61 off the corner of it. If I have the antenna pointed south toward Level Cross/Randleman, I do not pick up 12 and 26.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng /forum/post/12752967


The 4228 is a UHF but for VHF high band (channels 7-13) it will work, meaning if you live within the market and the VHF station is full power, maybe not great, but OK. Below channel 7, it will not work at all.

So, to receive 2 I would also need a VHF antenna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng /forum/post/12752967


The 4228 isn't an omni antenna, but depending on where are you and where you have to point, it can act like an omni. For instance, I live in Greensboro. If I point my 4228 on my roof to Sauratown Mt, I can still pick up 2, 8, 20, 45, 48 and 61 off the corner of it. If I have the antenna pointed south toward Level Cross/Randleman, I do not pick up 12 and 26.

I am about 1/2 mile south of Business 40. I was thinking I might be able to point the antenna north of GSO and get both.


Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddard /forum/post/12753168


So, to receive 2 I would also need a VHF antenna?

No. Channel 2 will stay on channel 51 and Channel 12 will stay on channel 31. Only Channel 8 will be returning to VHF.


Quote:
I am about 1/2 mile south of Business 40. I was thinking I might be able to point the antenna north of GSO and get both.

You would more than likely need to point toward Sauratown Mt and get the other stations off the back of the antenna like i do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,423 Posts
OK gang, I need your help here.


I have been working with DirecTV on this audio issue when we go from net back to local and we lose audio for a few seconds. At first we thought it was because net is using 5.1 and we are using 2.0, so I changed the local encoder to 5.1 and it still continued. So the theory they were shooting me that there was some incompatablity in their receiver between the two formats appears to be bunk.


Last night I was sitting around answering a PSIP question in another thread and thinking what PSIP does and how it does it, got me thinking that the issue may not be format incompatablity, but bitrate incompatablity. We have been sending 192 kbs since day one. Network sends 448 kbs when the splicer is on line. It could be the receiver has all these bits stored up and has to clear the buffers, reset and then load the 192 kbs to decode. This all takes time. Today I changed the encoder to 448 kbs so tonight, those of you Terminator fans who have D* HD and watch our HD via the sat and not OTA, Prison Break and The Sarah Conner Chronicles will be on again. Give it a listen and see if you see the problem has either gone or been greatly reduced through D* when we switch from net back to local. If this doesn't get it, I don't know and we are back to square one.


It is interesting that OTA with both a H20 and HR20, you don't have the problem, only when it is through D*. So it has to be their collection point receiver or their MPEG4 encoder. Good news is we are not the only market having this problem so if this fixes it, you will be helping D* HD viewers all over the country because I will call them tell them! D* that is!



Anyway, thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
Hey foxeng, you appear to be a genius because I think your solution worked. I flipped over to the Terminator show around 9:20 and I caught the entire commercial break and the sound problem didn't occur. When the teaser for the 10pm news came on the sound was on the entire time. In fact the sound never went away for the entire 3 minutes of commercials.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,423 Posts
I was watching Enterprise on HDNet but set the HR20 to record our feed on D* and I checked the recorded part and there was a momentary drop but I think that was my decoder relocking. If I hadn't been looking for it, I wouldn't have noticed it. I watched the 10pm News teaser live at 9:54 and the news open live at 10 and it all seemed to work OK. I need to do one more test mode tomorrow night and if that works too, I will call D* and tell them what needs to be done.


Thanks for checking!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
I had the same 192 kbs settings with My Network a while back and had to change the bit rate also. No one was watching to complain I guess. With the higher bit rate settings the Streamscope lists an error with "audio buffer out of bounds", but the problems with audio dropout is gone. I had noticed Fox 8 never had the buffer out of bounds error, but I bet if I looked at it now it would. The Streamscope software is about 2003 vintage and may need an update to measure properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
Reminds me of the time I wondered why the ATSC spec didn't specify the ability to change formats on the fly, which would prvent the channel shuffling that some PBS stations do at night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,423 Posts
Well it looks like my tests are complete in reguard to the audio dropout on D* HD when we go from net to local and it was a success. If you guys spot anything else funny, let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,423 Posts
Great! Thanks. I think I have knocked that problem in the head.
 
5501 - 5520 of 12638 Posts
Top