AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 12626 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just to report that I was able to lock it in tonite and watch a little WWF on UPN24(41). Signal strength ranged from 68-73. I'm not sure I will be able to get it on a regular basis but a good sign since they are currently at low power!

·
Registered
14,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by zmeister
Just to report that I was able to lock it in tonite and watch a little WWF on UPN24(41). Signal strength ranged from 68-73. I'm not sure I will be able to get it on a regular basis but a good sign since they are currently at low power!

I talked to dubbadon this afternoon and found out that WRDL's tower is located in Caswell County and it isn't very tall (300ft). It does sit on a high spot, but it has no real coverage area because of another station (he and I do not know which station that might be, I suspect a station in VA since the tower is in NC). Being in Elon, you are closer than I am and that may be the reason you are seeing it and I am not. Others mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Can any of y'all recommend a good antenna outfit? My preamp got fried in the storm today.
I can't get up on my roof, so I have to call in a pro.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by roland6465
Can any of y'all recommend a good antenna outfit? My preamp got fried in the storm today.
I can't get up on my roof, so I have to call in a pro.

I like the Channel Master 4228 with a CM 7775 pre-amp.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Sorry, foxeng.....I meant somebody to get up and replace the preamp. NOW A/V did the first setup, but They kinda forgot to bill me for the now fried amp, and I'm afraid they'll remember if I call them out again.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
Just a quick note to let you know that on Monday, WGHP is to get a firmware update for our encoder. It doesn't fix the annoying picture freeze that you see once an hour, but it does fix a closed captioning problem that had to get fixed to meet an FCC mandated deadline of Monday for all DTV stations to be passing closed captioning. I hope nothing else breaks when this new firmware is installed. It is to arrive Monday morning FedEx so keep your fingers crossed!

If you see anything, let me know here or give me a call at the station at 821-1144.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
Just a quick update to let you know that the new encoder firmware update has been made on WGHP-DT and we are passing closed captioning now. So far everything seems to be working as best I can tell. If you see something funny, let me know here or at work at 821-1144 or [email protected] .

Best I can tell is is EIA-708A CC1 encoding.

Charles Layno

Transmitter Supervisor

FOX8 WGHP/WGHP-DT

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
Of those of you who get WGHP-DT, is your closed captioning form us working? On the Samsung receivers we have at the station and I have here, it is very sporadic, even though my pro DTV receiver at the transmitter is showing closed captioning. I would like to know if the populous is receiving as we try and debug this latest snag on the road we call DTV.

Charles Layno

Transmitter Supervisor

FOX8 WGHP/WGHP-DT

·
Registered
14 Posts
this is for Don (who post his "user report" at www.triad-hdtv.org ).....

You menton you get the following stations.....

WDBJ-DT 18, WXLV-DT 29, WUNL-DT 32, WUPN-DT 33

what about the local ones? You have any luck?

- Talos

·
Registered
14,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by talosman
this is for Don (who post his "user report" at www.triad-hdtv.org ).....

You menton you get the following stations.....

WDBJ-DT 18, WXLV-DT 29, WUNL-DT 32, WUPN-DT 33

what about the local ones? You have any luck?

- Talos

I think that is ALL he gets of the locals, WXLV-DT, WUNL-DT, and WUPN-DT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Thanks, I missed WFMY.

WXII does not transmit PSIP, so my receiver will not acknowledge it's presence, despite its 3 dbm signal strength above WUNL - which I get fine.

I ran a topographical survey on my home and I live in a slight bottom, which affects my reception. I am hoping that the new UHF antenna and pre-amp I have purchased (but not yet installed) will improve my reception.

FYI - The Triad HDTV Website is pretty much up now. Comments are welcome. Reception reports are needed. Since Charlie and I work at local TV stations (WGHP and WTWB), we have two stations on board - we'd like more stations to participate. Your reports will help. Reception Reports are currently found on the receivers page.

Triad HDTV

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
Well I have just found out (what I had told the manufacturer last week), the closed captioning software update that we got last week IS BROKEN! They have asked the FCC for an extension and they gave then until the 21st of July to comply! So I guess we will be getting more software soon! It does look like the video glitch is fixed. For the moment though!

Charles Layno

Transmitter Supervisor

FOX8 WGHP/WGHP-DT

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Thank you all for keeping us informed! I try to read this thread every day to see what's happening. I am still going to put up my double bow tie antenna soon - painting the computer room and swim team practices and meets have kept me away from doing any major wiring etc...

FYI, the Radio Shack at Friendly has one more double bow tie antenna for $9.97.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
In case you missed this on the "Greenboro" HDTV Group thread.

Hey, let's all get together for a dinner meeting in the next few weeks. I know it is the middle of summer, but what works for everyone between now and the first of August? I will be there and you can grill me (
) for dinner if you want! Don has alluded that he will be there too, so there you have two to grill!

What is everyone's preference?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Would love to. Dinner sounds good. About anytime in the middle of the week over the next several weeks would be fine. How about picking several evenings and let everyone respond and then you pick the one when most can attend.

Quote:
Hey, let's all get together for a dinner meeting in the next few weeks. I know it is the middle of summer, but what works for everyone between now and the first of August? I will be there and you can grill me ( ) for dinner if you want! Don has alluded that he will be there too, so there you have two to grill!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing any difficulty receiving WFMY-DT (51) in the past few days? What was my strongest station has been totally dead since sometime during the week of July 8th. Are you folks watching 51-1 these days? I miss it.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Neely
Is anyone else experiencing any difficulty receiving WFMY-DT (51) in the past few days? What was my strongest station has been totally dead since sometime during the week of July 8th. Are you folks watching 51-1 these days? I miss it.

I haven't seen WFMY since the storm the other night. I didn't think it was bad enough to knock anyone off the air, it didn't us, but since then I haven't seen them up. Of course I haven't been regularly checking them. Since they are not on much, if I watch CBS, I just watch it off Directv. but I commented last night with the antenna pointed south, I didn't see a signal. I will make a point to specifically look to see if they are up tonight.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Neely

It was mentioned earlier that WFMY was not on the air and after checking it tonight they seem to be off the air. I thought they were down since that last storm last week but I never checked to see if it was them or my antenna and tonight I am not seeing any indication that they are transmitting. Maybe we can find out next week what happened.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
Went to Best Buy and Circuit City today to see what they had in the store with DTV receivers and see what they were playing on them.

I WAS AMAZED! NO 1080I pictures, all 480P and I heard one salesman at Best Buy telling a couple that the HDTV they were looking WAS displaying an HD picture! It was 480P with an in store DVD playing. I wanted to ask the salespeople there if they had any 1080I material, but I never got one, the 2 that were in the TV section had too many customers to serve and the other three went the other way when I moved toward them.

Circuit City was no better on PQ. They had an NBC race feed up on several of the monitors and it was the WORST picture I have ever seen with little digital blocks all over the picture! (Obviously NOT WXII at 2pm) It was definitely 480I up converted to something other than 480P on some monitors. I did get a salesperson and asked if they had any 1080I material and he said that they did have HDNET for the Olympics, but not anymore and that was all they had to show and I could take it or leave it. I asked him if they had any off air and he said "with only 'three' stations, it wasn't worth it."

I had been to Now Audio/Video back in March and I felt the whole time I was there, I had a gun to head to buy a TV. The salesman there tried to pass off 480P DVD as HD until I asked it they received WRAL, then he back off the "HD DVD." I will never go back in there again.

Sheesh! No wonder no one is buying. No one in those stores would know the difference anyway! I don't feel so bad now about my upconverted 480P! It is what everyone in the store is seeing anyway!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just to add to the problem. My nieghbor told me he went to BestBuy a few days ago and the salesman there told him not to even think of buying a HDTV until 2004. I have no idea what every one is afraid of but we need more people like Mark Cuban to step forward and get this thing rolling.

81 - 100 of 12626 Posts