AVS Forum banner

12521 - 12540 of 12596 Posts

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
I'm getting a marginally better signal on Physical 31 vs. 35---30 to 31 vs. 28 to 29.
The 31 antenna is a little over 100 ft higher and is top mounted with no obstructions verses the 35 antenna that is side mounted.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Here are two pictures of how the antennas are mounted. One is the tower top and the other is for scale. The antenna on the ground horizontally, is the old channel 8 antenna that had just been remove for the top of the tower.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,398 Posts

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
No. Trying to get D* and Dish changed over before we shut down.
Noon is our internal drop dead time no matter what the MVPDs are doing. We cited noon on the notice sent to the FCC.

Reactions: Trip in VA

·
Registered
14,398 Posts

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Gone now.

Reactions: Trip in VA

·
Registered
950 Posts
Gone now.
WGHP coming in at 100% in signal strength and quality on HDHomeRun on RF31, despite it not being at full power yet. Fortunately, I've never had a problem with Channel 8. I actually get a better signal (farther away) in Davie County versus my former home in Winston several years back. Of course, being on high ground always helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Talk to TiVo.
My mistake...it already had both frequencies in the channel guide...all I had to do was to deselect the old frequency and select the new frequency for the main & sub channels.

It also has both the old & new PBS frequencies, though of course they've delayed their move.

·
Registered
950 Posts
My mistake...it already had both frequencies in the channel guide...all I had to do was to deselect the old frequency and select the new frequency for the main & sub channels.

It also has both the old & new PBS frequencies, though of course they've delayed their move.
Actually, WUNL (PBS) Winston-Salem didn't delay their transition. They moved in the previous phase last Fall at the same time that WXII moved. WUNL is now on RF33. What has happened, though, has been a delay in WUNL completing their permanent antenna work along with other PBS stations.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Actually, WUNL (PBS) Winston-Salem didn't delay their transition. They moved in the previous phase last Fall at the same time that WXII moved. WUNL is now on RF33. What has happened, though, has been a delay in WUNL completing their permanent antenna work along with other PBS stations.
Ok, thanks...so WFMY is the only one left in our market?

And has anyone heard about ATSC 3.0 plans in our state?

I can almost get Charlotte stations via my 8-bay, (un-amplified) attic-mounted antenna, so I'm hoping ATSC 3.0 will help with those.

·
Registered
950 Posts

And has anyone heard about ATSC 3.0 plans in our market?
You got it. WFMY is the last one. They will be moving from RF51 to RF35 (WGHP's now vacated frequency). Not sure how long it will be for WFMY to move, though, I would guess they would start testing their signal on RF35 in the next few weeks as FoxEng alluded to.

About ATSC 3.0, I don't think you will see any Triad stations participating anytime soon. Before, COVID-19, I know several reports indicated that select stations in the top 40 markets would begin ATSC 3.0 by the end of 2020. That included the Raleigh market with Charlotte to follow soon after that. But with all the crazy that's happened recently, I am not sure if that's still on schedule or not. Maybe FoxEng can weigh in if he has any input on that.

I will say that HD HomeRun is reportedly talking about offering external ATSC 3.0 tuners as early as this summer. I am in the Greensboro market, but I get Charlotte stations as well. So I will be eager to try it out whenever it happens. The following link (about HD HomeRun) was recently posted on the CLT thread:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ve&utm_term=0_0e447afd5c-747f4aba3d-425599821

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
You got it. WFMY is the last one. They will be moving from RF51 to RF35 (WGHP's now vacated frequency). Not sure how long it will be for WFMY to move, though, I would guess they would start testing their signal on RF35 in the next few weeks as FoxEng alluded to.

About ATSC 3.0, I don't think you will see any Triad stations participating anytime soon. Before, COVID-19, I know several reports indicated that select stations in the top 40 markets would begin ATSC 3.0 by the end of 2020. That included the Raleigh market with Charlotte to follow soon after that. But with all the crazy that's happened recently, I am not sure if that's still on schedule or not. Maybe FoxEng can weigh in if he has any input on that.

I will say that HD HomeRun is reportedly talking about offering external ATSC 3.0 tuners as early as this summer. I am in the Greensboro market, but I get Charlotte stations as well. So I will be eager to try it out whenever it happens. The following link (about HD HomeRun) was recently posted on the CLT thread:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ve&utm_term=0_0e447afd5c-747f4aba3d-425599821

WFMY will transition on May 12 at low power on their aux antenna because their 51 antenna will have to be removed and replaced with a 35 antenna. They are waiting for a tower crew to retune the aux antenna to 35. Until that happens, they can't do anything on 35.

As far as ATSC3, I would suspect that is pushed back because of COVID19. No one will spend money until revenues get back to something that looks normal. Right now everyone is holding on to the money they have to stay in business.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts

And has anyone heard about ATSC 3.0 plans in our state?

I can almost get Charlotte stations via my 8-bay, (un-amplified) attic-mounted antenna, so I'm hoping ATSC 3.0 will help with those.
Perhaps try a preamp to help with the Charlotte signals. But be careful not to suffer overload from nearby Greensboro strong signals then every thing may be messed up due to interference. The Channel Master 3414 distribution amp makes a good preamp for rejecting overload as it is only a small boost split by the 4 ports. Worked for me when the normal preamps caused dropouts. And they now sell a remote power supply on Channel Master website for $19 that will power these preamps if there is no outlet in the attic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
WFMY will transition on May 12 at low power on their aux antenna because their 51 antenna will have to be removed and replaced with a 35 antenna. They are waiting for a tower crew to retune the aux antenna to 35. Until that happens, they can't do anything on 35. .
Maybe WFMY will approach WGHP about acquiring the 35 antenna WGHP's antenna crew removed. :D

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Maybe WFMY will approach WGHP about acquiring the 35 antenna WGHP's antenna crew removed. :D
It won't work for them. Our 35 is a side mount and they need a top mount. They already have the antenna. The problem is getting it mounted.

I did see WFMY have a test signal up on 35 from their auxiliary antenna yesterday, but it didn't stay on for very long. I know they have pushed their transition back to the 17th because of tower crew issues for the main antenna.

We are now in the process of converting our other transmitter to 31 so there is no way to put the old 35 antenna on the air now. The 35 filters and switches have all been removed and the new 31 filters and switches are being installed. We still have one piece of critical gear that is not here to finish and that is scheduled delivery in three weeks, so it will at least that long before we can go back to full power.

Reactions: CW Hall

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Cord-Cutting Hit Record Levels in First Quarter

Virtual MVPDs also lost subscribers

By Jon Lafayette

Traditional pay TV subscriptions fell by a record-setting 1.8 million in the first quarter, according to an analysis by Craig Moffett of MoffettNathanson Research.

The 7.6% decline includes a 14.3% plunge for satellite, compared to a 4% drop for cable.

"With sports off the air, and with the pain of the tsunami of unemployment just beginning to hit as the quarter ended, all these numbers will get worse in Q2,” Moffett said.

But Moffett noted that even more depressing than the drop in traditional pay-TV subs was a surprising decline in subscribers to streaming virtual MVPDs like AT&T Now and Sling TV. Moffett said vMVPDs lost 341,000 subscribers in the first quarter.

“The vMVPDs, once viewed as the last line of defense for cable networks, imploded in Q1,” he said.

Moffett said that when Sony’s PlayStation Vue service closed in January, its subscribers appear to have gone nowhere. AT&T Now, Sling TV and fubo all lost subscribers.

The Walt Disney Co.’s Hulu Live TV vMVPD grew by just 100,000 subscribers. The category also includes YouTube TV, which this week agreed to add 14 more ViacomCBS networks.

Total pay-TV subscribers, including both traditional and vMVPDs, are shrinking at a rate of 5.3% per year, Moffett said.

“It is perhaps some comfort that some of the same companies losing distribution for their traditional cable networks – we’re looking at you, Disney and Comcast – have launched direct-to-consumer 'lifeboats' that are rapidly gaining traction with distraction-starved, shut-in consumers,” Moffett said. “AT&T will join this club in a few weeks with the launch of HBO Max. But it is increasingly clear that as consumers climb into these lifeboats, they are leaving the (sinking) motherships behind.”

https://www.nexttv.com/news/cord-cutting-hit-record-levels-in-first-quarter

12521 - 12540 of 12596 Posts