AVS Forum banner

12541 - 12560 of 12596 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Reading that article and thinking about COVID-19 (with consumers and businesses wanting to save money), I have to wonder how many broadcast stations (at the end of 2020 in the top 40 markets) may proceed with ATSC 3.0 as planned?

By that time, I would guess most repack work would be completed across the country (as all phases will have ended and it will be a matter of completing any remaining tower work). And if it's largely a matter of software upgrades (at that point), perhaps the owners (already identified) may feel the incentive to proceed as planned for any additional revenue opportunities? This is what got them on board with it in the first place. Of course, I guess nobody really knows; and it would be even longer before any real 4k broadcast content actually appears even if a station were to light up in atsc3.

But I guess we just wait and see, especially starting with Raleigh. Whatever happens, I am watching more video now days (not just because of the virus), but also my new TV set. It appears Amazon and Netflix are now offering far more 4k content now versus several years ago. I would also guess their revenue is fine....at least in comparison to some of the other paid providers, as outlined in the article.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Reading that article and thinking about COVID-19 (with consumers and businesses wanting to save money), I have to wonder how many broadcast stations (at the end of 2020 in the top 40 markets) may proceed with ATSC 3.0 as planned?

By that time, I would guess most repack work would be completed across the country (as all phases will have ended and it will be a matter of completing any remaining tower work). And if it's largely a matter of software upgrades (at that point), perhaps the owners (already identified) may feel the incentive to proceed as planned for any additional revenue opportunities? This is what got them on board with it in the first place. Of course, I guess nobody really knows; and it would be even longer before any real 4k broadcast content actually appears even if a station were to light up in atsc3.

But I guess we just wait and see, especially starting with Raleigh. Whatever happens, I am watching more video now days (not just because of the virus), but also my new TV set. It appears Amazon and Netflix are now offering far more 4k content now versus several years ago. I would also guess their revenue is fine....at least in comparison to some of the other paid providers, as outlined in the article.

I wouldn't expect ATSC3 to stay on track. The broadcast industry has taken a big hit due to COVID-19.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I wouldn't expect ATSC3 to stay on track. The broadcast industry has taken a big hit due to COVID-19.
Yes, with the ongoing virus, nothing surprises me anymore. Uncertain times for sure. But my "guess" would be there's more eyeballs than ever watching local channels and on demand video as viewers stay at home.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Minor hick-ups on WGHP reception of the 10pm local news while my antenna is pointed right at it. But even minor issues are highly unusual for my normally very strong reception of WGHP. Hopefully, the part FoxEng referenced might be received in the next couple of weeks so they can go back to full power. Either way, no big worries.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Yes, with the ongoing virus, nothing surprises me anymore. Uncertain times for sure. But my "guess" would be there's more eyeballs than ever watching local channels and on demand video as viewers stay at home.
Eyeballs don't matter in this situation. It is Accounts Receivable that matter. And that is down. With businesses closed, many are not advertising so the money that would be used for capital are being used in operations. It's trickle down and capital projects that are not required will be put on the back burner. That is the reality. And ATSC3 will take a hit. No way around it. It is all about the dollars.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Minor hick-ups on WGHP reception of the 10pm local news while my antenna is pointed right at it. But even minor issues are highly unusual for my normally very strong reception of WGHP. Hopefully, the part FoxEng referenced might be received in the next couple of weeks so they can go back to full power. Either way, no big worries.
We have everything in now and are trying to get it all installed and tested. I hope we will be able to increase power a little next week and then go to full power the following week if not sooner. COVID-19 is playing havoc on the scheduling of the trades right now. I had hoped for the incremental power increase today, but that won't happen. Still waiting on two trades to finish their work and the final push to full power can't happen until this incremental stage happens.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
For those interested, WFMY has gone to their standby antenna on channel 51. Main channel 51 antenna was changed out Wednesday with the new channel 35 antenna. I think they are scheduled to change to 35 today some time according to their website.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Eyeballs don't matter in this situation. It is Accounts Receivable that matter. And that is down. With businesses closed, many are not advertising so the money that would be used for capital are being used in operations. It's trickle down and capital projects that are not required will be put on the back burner. That is the reality. And ATSC3 will take a hit. No way around it. It is all about the dollars.
Is it a major technical expense for many stations now having anchors broadcast from home rather than the studio or is that easy via the internet? Many of the CLT and GSP stations have one or two anchors in the studio while the others rotate from home. But I guess the decline in advertising due to business closures could be the major factor.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Is it a major technical expense for many stations now having anchors broadcast from home rather than the studio or is that easy via the internet? Many of the CLT and GSP stations have one or two anchors in the studio while the others rotate from home. But I guess the decline in advertising due to business closures could be the major factor.
Having anchors work from home is a precaution from spreading/contracting COVID-19. Broadcasting is considered essential. It costs the same whether they anchor in house or their house. They use their home internet connections. Most if not all stations have none essential personnel work out of the building. In our own case, only necessary personnel required to physically operate none remoteable equipment at the station are there. Everyone else such as sales, traffic, news work either out in the field or from home. Our producers are producing shows from home and several directors are directing from home. Automated switches and such allow for that. That's how hubbing basically works. Not unusual for many stations these days. Reporters and photogs haven't been in the building in over two months. There are coworkers I haven't seen in the building since March but I know they are working, I see the emails daily from them.

Reactions: GVR_Old_Tech

·
Registered
13 Posts
For those interested, WFMY has gone to their standby antenna on channel 51. Main channel 51 antenna was changed out Wednesday with the new channel 35 antenna. I think they are scheduled to change to 35 today some time according to their website.
Here is where WFMY live streamed their antenna replacement the other day. Not sure why I missed the live stream -- I had been seeing their updates and screen crawls otherwise. It has been viewed 411 times as of this post. Pretty long task/video @ 01:44:03 total.

LIVE | WFMY’s transmitter is getting an upgrade! Watch as we replace our antenna

EDITED URL to start at 4 minutes 18 seconds -- the stream here shows a black screen until this time-code.

https://youtu.be/4-Nd2pbyjPA?t=258

A link they updated today concerning the change/re-scan:

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/rescan-your-channels-to-keep-wfmy-programming/83-15c63fa6-1cec-4131-abb2-4c207ed9903a

·
Registered
948 Posts
Makes sense to me. As with any business, Accounts Receivables are critical. And with advertising dollars being down, it obviously has a trickle down/negative impact on many things.

·
Registered
948 Posts
We have everything in now and are trying to get it all installed and tested. I hope we will be able to increase power a little next week and then go to full power the following week if not sooner. COVID-19 is playing havoc on the scheduling of the trades right now. I had hoped for the incremental power increase today, but that won't happen. Still waiting on two trades to finish their work and the final push to full power can't happen until this incremental stage happens.
Thanks for the update ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Good to learn that WFMY got their 35 antenna installed.

I see them now on RF35 with 100% signal strength and 68% signal quality on my HDHomeRun, at this late hour. Normally, I get 100% on both signal measurements from WFMY on my HDHR. But I would imagine (in a similar way to WGHP), they will need additional time to complete work on their transmitter as well as getting back to full power.

The only reference I see on their website is in regards to viewers doing a channel re-scan (and how to do it). Of course, I don't imagine anyone on AVS needs any assistance with using their remotes or doing re-scans. But I realize that is protocol to share that type of general information with OTA viewers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You got it. WFMY is the last one. They will be moving from RF51 to RF35 (WGHP's now vacated frequency). Not sure how long it will be for WFMY to move, though, I would guess they would start testing their signal on RF35 in the next few weeks as FoxEng alluded to.

About ATSC 3.0, I don't think you will see any Triad stations participating anytime soon. Before, COVID-19, I know several reports indicated that select stations in the top 40 markets would begin ATSC 3.0 by the end of 2020. That included the Raleigh market with Charlotte to follow soon after that. But with all the crazy that's happened recently, I am not sure if that's still on schedule or not. Maybe FoxEng can weigh in if he has any input on that.

I will say that HD HomeRun is reportedly talking about offering external ATSC 3.0 tuners as early as this summer. I am in the Greensboro market, but I get Charlotte stations as well. So I will be eager to try it out whenever it happens. The following link (about HD HomeRun) was recently posted on the CLT thread:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-atsc-30?goal=0_0e447afd5c-747f4aba3d-425599821&mc_cid=747f4aba3d&mc_eid=af15c8d2d9&utm_campaign=747f4aba3d-ATSC3Shop&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Shop+Live&utm_term=0_0e447afd5c-747f4aba3d-425599821
The kickstarter has ended, but I found someone on YouTube demoing the product and speaking with someone with HD Homerun.

I like how they show the potential to monitor the data stream and see all the technical info on the "IP layer" of the stream, etc. I realize this is for specialized hardware that not all hardware will be made this way -- but it still looks cool. Especially for people building their own DVR's for this new standard.

Here is a link to the ATSC3 group's deployment information that is mentioned in the video. This information is already well know (cities slated for 1st deployments), but I am sure the deployments are behind. With that being said, I would hope they keep this information updated.

https://www.atsc.org/nextgen-tv/deployments/

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
We are still working to get back to full power. Ran into an unexpected snag with the transmitter last week that has put us back a little, but we are still moving forward. Got my tower crew back this week to install the new standby antenna, but with the weather, don't know how much they will get done this week. Always something.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Just an update. The channel 31 stand by antenna is to be mounted today. The tower crew has already removed the old channel 8 stand by antenna and its associated feed line and the old channel 35 stand by antenna. The old channel 35 main antenna will remain for a while. It isn't scheduled for removal at this time even though it will never be used again.

We should be back to full power end of next week, everything holds. We are at 50% power now and have been for a week. Next week we are to convert our back up transmitter at our back up site. The antenna for it should be changed out next week as well. So by the 15th, I hope to be completely finished with repack with just the paperwork to complete for the FCC. What a road!

Attachments

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Just an update. We have a usable back up antenna again, on channel 31. We ran it on air for about 30 minutes yesterday and nothing smoked so we take that as a good sign. The new back up antenna provides better coverage than the old channel 35 back up so we are hoping when we have to go to it, more people with antennas will not have a bad signal. We are still on track for going back to full power by the end of the week, if not sooner, if all the stars align. This weekend we will convert our stand by transmitter at our aux site and should have that antenna changed out this week as well so we may be finally at the end of our repack.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Another update. We are finally back to full power. We got back up to full power around 6 pm tonight. Still a couple of loose ends to tie up tomorrow, but the end is now in sight. This weekend we should get the back up transmitter converted and hopefully that will finish up Repack. YAY!

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Another update. We are finally back to full power. We got back up to full power around 6 pm tonight. Still a couple of loose ends to tie up tomorrow, but the end is now in sight. This weekend we should get the back up transmitter converted and hopefully that will finish up Repack. YAY!
Excellent news.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another update. We are finally back to full power. We got back up to full power around 6 pm tonight.
Minimal difference has been noted here in east Cary. WGHP's signal tends to be just strong enough to be watchable at night and in the early morning, but largely disappears after that. In comparison, WFMY, WGPX, WXLV and WMYV are generally 100% watchable.

The reason I am interested in picking up Triad stations is because at my location many of the local stations, located to the southeast, are heavily interfered with during windy conditions, while the Triad stations to the northwest, plus WUNC in Chapel Hill, remain largely unaffected.

12541 - 12560 of 12596 Posts