AVS Forum banner

12561 - 12580 of 12596 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Another update. We are finally back to full power. We got back up to full power around 6 pm tonight. Still a couple of loose ends to tie up tomorrow, but the end is now in sight. This weekend we should get the back up transmitter converted and hopefully that will finish up Repack. YAY!
Yes, excellent news. Thanks for keeping us updated.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Minimal difference has been noted here in east Cary. WGHP's signal tends to be just strong enough to be watchable at night and in the early morning, but largely disappears after that. In comparison, WFMY, WGPX, WXLV and WMYV are generally 100% watchable.

The reason I am interested in picking up Triad stations is because at my location many of the local stations, located to the southeast, are heavily interfered with during windy conditions, while the Triad stations to the northwest, plus WUNC in Chapel Hill, remain largely unaffected.
Although WGHP increased power and height, I think all the other stations you referenced still have more tower height. That said, it's interesting that you (in the fringe) are getting better reception on WGPX versus WGHP. WGHP has considerably more power versus WGPX.

As always, reception can be a crapshoot so you may want to experiment with other placements, antenna, etc. Interestingly enough, WGHP has slightly outperformed WFMY at my location prior to repack. Hopefully, that will continue in the post repack days ahead.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Although WGHP increased power and height, I think all the other stations you referenced still have more tower height. That said, it's interesting that you (in the fringe) are getting better reception on WGPX versus WGHP. WGHP has considerably more power versus WGPX.

As always, reception can be a crapshoot so you may want to experiment with other placements, antenna, etc. Interestingly enough, WGHP has slightly outperformed WFMY at my location prior to repack. Hopefully, that will continue in the post repack days ahead.
WGPX has more height as well.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
SiliconDust Delays Shipments of NextGen TV Receiver

By Tom Butts Nexttv.com

HDHomeRun Quatro 4K will now be available in August

SiliconDust, which recently concluded a successful Kickstarter campaign to develop one of the first NextGen TV receivers on the market, says it is having to delay shipment of the units until August.

The company originally hoped to make its HDHomeRun Quatro 4K (HDHR5 4K) receiver available starting at $199 to donors to its Kickstarter campaign this month, but said that manufacturing glitches will lead to a delay.

“Manufacturing started as planned, but we found a problem during the testing of the first 1,000 units,” the company announced on its website over the July 4 holiday weekend. “The problem is understood and we have sample units arriving next week for verification/sign-off. For delivery, this means July deliverables will be August. August deliverables will be later than planned but still be August.”

The company, which has been manufacturing its HDHomeRun brand of digital tuners for more than a decade, wrapped up its Kickstarter campaign in May, raising more than $600,000. Its original goal was $50K.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/silicondust-delays-shipments-of-nextgen-tv-receiver

·
Registered
948 Posts
My guess would be that most people who participated in the kickstarter will be okay with the delay. Better for SiliconDust to get it right versus rushing the new tuners out the door with defects. Not only that, I am thinking there's only a very small number of broadcasters that have lit up ATSC3 right now. And as far as I know - no actual 4k content, although I could be wrong on that.

But all that said, I commend them for being one of the leaders in getting these tuners to market. No doubt, the virus has/will delay this new technology. But, with no product, atsc3 will never happen. So kudos to SiliconDust for stepping out in front on this one. I did not participate in the kickstarter, but I was very pleased to see that they well exceeded their goal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Finally decided to cut the cord and bought an HDHomeRun Duo. I see I'm a little late to the party for the 4K Quad unit. No matter. I'll be the only person using it, and my TV is an antique.

I'm going to dig back through this thread, but it the preferred setup in GSO to still have antennas facing north and south? Then combine them with a splitter?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Finally decided to cut the cord and bought an HDHomeRun Duo. I see I'm a little late to the party for the 4K Quad unit. No matter. I'll be the only person using it, and my TV is an antique.

I'm going to dig back through this thread, but it the preferred setup in GSO to still have antennas facing north and south? Then combine them with a splitter?
You could try that. But it depends on how much signal strength you've got to work with in the first place.....in terms of how well it works. If you go that route (with two separate antennas and then combine them into a single downlead), I'd use the exact same coax lengths from each antenna before the combiner. But if you are near the digital cliff, either with WXII/WUNL or the GSO channels, you could experience pexelations after splitting the signal and using a combiner. That's the potential downside of combining two antennas. Signal loss is just a fact when doing this. It may not matter if you've got lots of signal to work with - but, if you don't, it is potentially a negative factor in this type of setup.

There are lots of factors to consider, such as your location (and distance) relative to the direction of WXII/WUNL and the GSO antenna farm. For example, someone living in the Kernersville area (with decent line of site) may be geographically positioned (well) to go with a "single" antenna type that receives as much forward gain as it does off its backside. This could be the case in that scenario because the GSO transmitters would be located to the S/SE and WXII/WUNL would be to the N/NW (directly behind it) from that location (using Kernersville as an example). And a good example of a single antenna that might do well in this scenario could be something like the Clearstream 4 with no back reflector (again just an example).

Everyone's situation is different and it also depends on what you are trying to achieve.....while factoring in all receivable channels at your location. In my particular scenario, I am in range of the GSO channels and the Charlotte networks. But I don't combine any antennas. I've got one antenna facing east towards the GSO transmitters (picks up WXII/WUNL off the side to the NE). And because I've got plenty of signal to work with - my GSO antenna is able to pick up WXII/WUNL off the antenna's side (to the NE). Separately, I've got another antenna facing SW towards CLT for those networks. I don't combine either of my two separate antennas, but rather, each antenna has its own dedicated coax wiring from my attic to a room in my home. In this way, I've got the full strength of each antenna that is (then) married (so to speak) over my home network using two separate HDHomeRun tuners (one for each of my antennas). For my particular situation, this maximizes the signal strength of all of my receivable channels.

I suspect it will be a long time before the GSO market lights up with any 4K signals, and even longer before any network channel actually gets 4K content. So I don't think you have to worry about missing the party on the 4K HDHRs. That being said, I think Silicon Dust may offer them retail sometime later this Fall, unless they've pushed the date out even farther. But, based on whatever your circumstances are, you "could" consider getting a second HDHR tuner, if you feel your particular circumstances warrant doing that for WXII/WUNL and another tuner for the GSO channels. Again, you may not need such a setup, but just throwing this stuff out there.

Hope this helps you in some way.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
In most cases in Greensboro, you will need two antennas. On aimed down US 220 and one aimed at Sauratown Mt, north of Winston-Salem. You do need to have the feedline to the combiner to be as close the same length to each other as possible to help keep phasing correct. After the combiner, if you feel you need more signal strength, you can add a preamp immediately after the combiner. Also, give yourself a little vertical space between the antennas if you are mounting them on the same pole. Don't set them right on top of one another. The general, but not hard fast rule is one wave length. For the stations around here, that would be around 20 inches, but in my own case, it's about 5 inches (1/4 wave). Just enough to physically clear each other. But the more, the better. In a perfect world you would have enough vertical height that 20 inches wouldn't matter or horizontal distance to have both at the same height. Horizontal distance is more that vertical, in this case. But if your house is such that you could put one antenna on each corner of the house, that would be best, but you would need to be sure the corners are in the right direction or you could get height above it to not cause reflections. That too gets complicated. In the vertical, you would want to point the top antenna at the weaker/further signal and give it as much height as possible.

Just things to think about.

Reactions: evan237

·
Registered
36 Posts
evan237 and foxeng, thanks for the feedback.

Interesting what y'all say about keeping the cable length the same and the spacing. I was kind of thinking it would be two directional antennas working independent of each other. There's some loss with the splitter, but that is offset by having the antenna pointed in the right direction.

It sounds like what you are saying is the two antennas are working together as an array of sorts?

·
Registered
948 Posts
evan237 and foxeng, thanks for the feedback.

Interesting what y'all say about keeping the cable length the same and the spacing. I was kind of thinking it would be two directional antennas working independent of each other. There's some loss with the splitter, but that is offset by having the antenna pointed in the right direction.

It sounds like what you are saying is the two antennas are working together as an array of sorts?
I've never really thought of two antennas (as an array) since each antenna is tasked to do its own job - pointed in a different geographical direction for different antenna farms. But, of course, they do work in partnership to the extent that when a combiner is used.....then you've put the signals together into one downlead wire into your home to be fed to all of your receivers. However, perhaps Foxeng can articulate this better as he is the expert on the Greensboro forum.

Lots of things to consider based on your individual circumstances. If you live in Greensboro and you want to go outside with separate antennas, my guess would be that you could potentially get outstanding results, in a similar way that Foxeng does with his setup using a combiner. I would follow his advice on vertical and horizontal spacing if you do that.

For my own situation, I didn't find a need to go outside since I live on high ground; and I've already got good signal readings from my attic. This saves on maintenance issues later on with outdoor antennas. Plus, my home was pre-wired with multiple/separate coax lines from my attic to individual rooms in my house. But for some folks, going outside may be your best alternative, especially if your attic is not already prewired, limited spacing in the attic, or you've got other circumstances like an already weak signal from WXII/WUNL that would really be optimized with outdoor antennas.

In a different way, my two separate antennas are also combined. But instead of using a combiner to accomplish this, they are simply combined via the CAT wire over my home network using my HDHR tuners. And with this setup, I've got no signal loss with a traditional combiner, and thus no need for amplification in a similar way that you might need it for combining two antennas. Of course, as always, different circumstances for everyone. But I am a big fan of HD HomeRun and enjoy the added flexibility of having two separate HDHR tuners.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Foxeng - do you still have your same outdoor setup in NW Greensboro? You shared a pic of your rooftop antennas years ago that I liked.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live in Greensboro.
I had an outside antenna pointed NW for WXII, and an attic (inside) antenna mounted on a PVC pole pointed South (generally) for WGHP/WFMY. The cables were different lengths.
Both antenna cables go into a splitter in the attic, and then into a Channel Master CM 3412 amplifier. I have two cables for output from the amp, run out the attic window and into the basement and up into the house for two separate TVs.
I had no problems with that setup.
A storm took down my outside antenna, so I bought another for WXII and placed it on the PVC pipe along with the other one for WGHP/WFMY. I bought new cables so they were both the same length, 6” I believe. The antennas are placed one on top of the other on the PVC pole with little separation. Again, no problems.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
Foxeng - do you still have your same outdoor setup in NW Greensboro? You shared a pic of your rooftop antennas years ago that I liked.
It is still mounted but the rotor is not working and I need to get up on the roof and replace it. Hard to believe that antenna system has been in the air almost 20 years! It went up in 2002!

I have setup a two antenna combined system that I recommend to viewers here that seems to work pretty good for most people. Of course if you are on the fringe, then that is a different story. With our channel 31 antenna we did put about 25% V-POL in the pattern and it is now top mounted where the old channel 35 antenna was H-POL only and side mounted and that has helped a lot for multipath and future proofing for ATSC 3.0.

·
Registered
948 Posts
It is still mounted but the rotor is not working and I need to get up on the roof and replace it. Hard to believe that antenna system has been in the air almost 20 years! It went up in 2002!

I have setup a two antenna combined system that I recommend to viewers here that seems to work pretty good for most people. Of course if you are on the fringe, then that is a different story. With our channel 31 antenna we did put about 25% V-POL in the pattern and it is now top mounted where the old channel 35 antenna was H-POL only and side mounted and that has helped a lot for multipath and future proofing for ATSC 3.0.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Sounds like you've done very well to have the same setup for almost 20 years with no issues except the rotor.

But in NW Greensboro, I am guessing that a broken rotor is not that big of a deal since you've (no doubt) already got the antennas facing NW for WXII/WUNL and S for the other antenna facing the GSO channels down US 220. I suppose the only issue with a broken rotor (at your location) is not having the ability to occasionally tune into any Roanoke channels that you "may" otherwise be able to receive. Other than that, I suppose not a big deal.

I was glad to see WGHP top mount the channel 31 antenna, although (at my location in Davie County), I've had no issues with WGHP (before or after repack). Funny, at my location, I actually get higher signal readings from WGHP at my current home versus my former location in Winston. And of course, I am farther away now from the GSO antenna farm. But anything to help fight against multipath and future proof for ATSC 3.0 is a good thing.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I live in Greensboro.
I had an outside antenna pointed NW for WXII, and an attic (inside) antenna mounted on a PVC pole pointed South (generally) for WGHP/WFMY. The cables were different lengths.
Both antenna cables go into a splitter in the attic, and then into a Channel Master CM 3412 amplifier. I have two cables for output from the amp, run out the attic window and into the basement and up into the house for two separate TVs.
I had no problems with that setup.
A storm took down my outside antenna, so I bought another for WXII and placed it on the PVC pipe along with the other one for WGHP/WFMY. I bought new cables so they were both the same length, 6” I believe. The antennas are placed one on top of the other on the PVC pole with little separation. Again, no problems.
Since a previous storm took down your outdoor antenna, It sounds like you are now using attic antennas for both WXII and the GSO channels. I used to have an outdoor rooftop Winegard 9095p at my former home in Winston that was installed on a rotor with a preamp. The antenna worked great. But about 6 years later, I started having issues (I suspected with the preamp up by the antenna), and my dilemma about climbing up there (30 feet up) to fix it. But I sold the home the same year so it became a moot point.

In a similar way that WXLV ABC 45 (also licensed to Winston-Salem) moved to the antenna farm south of Greensboro (sometime on or around the year 2000), I've often thought it would be ideal if WXII relocated their tower as well. However, I believe WXII and Hearst Television own the property up on Sauratown Mtn. So I suspect it would be very unlikely that WXII will ever change their tower location. Plus, the fact that WUNL (PBS) is also up there, that's one more reason for folks in Greensboro to have two antennas.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
I was glad to see WGHP top mount the channel 31 antenna, although (at my location in Davie County), I've had no issues with WGHP (before or after repack). Funny, at my location, I actually get higher signal readings from WGHP at my current home versus my former location in Winston. And of course, I am farther away now from the GSO antenna farm. But anything to help fight against multipath and future proof for ATSC 3.0 is a good thing.
The plan has always been to top mount. The reason 35 was not a top mount from the start was because we thought we would be staying on 8 after the transition so the 8 was top mounted and the 35 was side mounted. Ultimately that is not what happened, but in the days following the transition when it became obvious the FCC had short changed us on power and the only viable option was to go back to 35, plans were laid out for a top mount 35. Due to two subsequent sales of the station and repack, it was decided to wait on the antenna change out and see what repack brought. No need to repeat the expensive transition situation. The channel 8 antenna was used for a grand total of 3 years and 1 month and then abandoned in place for the next 10 years before it was removed and replaced with the channel 31 antenna. A very, very, very expensive piece of useless metal that is now lying in the field.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The plan has always been to top mount. The reason 35 was not a top mount from the start was because we thought we would be staying on 8 after the transition so the 8 was top mounted and the 35 was side mounted. Ultimately that is not what happened, but in the days following the transition when it became obvious the FCC had short changed us on power and the only viable option was to go back to 35, plans were laid out for a top mount 35. Due to two subsequent sales of the station and repack, it was decided to wait on the antenna change out and see what repack brought. No need to repeat the expensive transition situation. The channel 8 antenna was used for a grand total of 3 years and 1 month and then abandoned in place for the next 10 years before it was removed and replaced with the channel 31 antenna. A very, very, very expensive piece of useless metal that is now lying in the field.
I think WGHP was fortunate in getting back on channel 35 at the time of the prior transition. It seems now days, no station would have a prayer of getting back to UHF once assigned to a VHF channel. Here in the Triad, it seems we are lucky that all networks are on UHF. It is a shame though about the old channel 8 antenna being left to sit in the field. I don't know how all these things work, but would it not be possible for Nexstar Media to sell that piece of metal so that it could be repurposed elsewhere? For example, what about another station (somewhere else in the country) that uses RF8? Just curious about that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
HDHomeRun arrived today. Very easy setup. I bought the most El Cheapo rabbit ears I could find an WalMart just to get everything going. Surprisingly, I seem to be able to pick up most of the local stations. It does pixelate or drop out occasionally, so it's not a long term setup.

Now to finally deep-six Crime Warner for good.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
I don't know how all these things work, but would it not be possible for Nexstar Media to sell that piece of metal so that it could be repurposed elsewhere? For example, what about another station (somewhere else in the country) that uses RF8? Just curious about that.
It's all about timing and requirements. Since we were Phase 9, everyone else was pretty much done from an antenna stand point. The Nexstar station in Raleigh repacked to channel 8, but they moved in Phase 5 at the time the deal was closing so that wouldn't have worked out time wise, but I am not sure what their pattern requirements were. This is an omni antenna and they may have needed a directional pattern.

12561 - 12580 of 12596 Posts