AVS Forum banner

12581 - 12596 of 12596 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
It's all about timing and requirements. Since we were Phase 9, everyone else was pretty much done from an antenna stand point. The Nexstar station in Raleigh repacked to channel 8, but they moved in Phase 5 at the time the deal was closing so that wouldn't have worked out time wise, but I am not sure what their pattern requirements were. This is an omni antenna and they may have needed a directional pattern.
That makes sense, especially since you were in Phase 9, and everyone else having to move on with their own arrangements.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in whitsett nc about 15 east of whitsett and about 7 miles west of Burlington close to interstate I put my out door antenna in the attic getting about 55 channels I have it pointed southeast love to get more and my antenna is very old one

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
I'm in whitsett nc about 15 east of whitsett and about 7 miles west of Burlington close to interstate I put my out door antenna in the attic getting about 55 channels I have it pointed southeast love to get more and my antenna is very old one
If you get 55 channels now, sounds like you pretty much get everything that is available now.

Reactions: Tim whitsett nc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone on this board recommend a TV Antenna installer who has the equipment to do a proper install on a rooftop, and is more interested in fixing problems than selling hardware, AND who you do not have to wait forever to get them to come to your house?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Can anyone on this board recommend a TV Antenna installer who has the equipment to do a proper install on a rooftop, and is more interested in fixing problems than selling hardware, AND who you do not have to wait forever to get them to come to your house?
Unfortunately, unlike the good old days (when it was as easy as opening the yellow pages of your phone book), it's more difficult now days for find a TV Antenna installer. But you might try researching security companies in your area. Since those types of companies do structured wiring, they may also be interested in installing an antenna for you.

But, I would suggest that you determine (first) that going outside is optimal for your situation. It really depends on your exact location, but sometimes people can get comparable results with an attic install. That is my situation. In other words, the reception results I get from my attic antenna(s) are great. Therefore, there's no benefit (in my personal situation) in taking on the present (and future) maintenance costs of an outdoor antenna setup. You could always try that (first) by placing an antenna in your attic and running a temporary coax to one of your receivers in-room.

Of course, sometimes an outdoor setup is needed for best results. If you go that route, I would recommend finding someone (or company) that is backed by positive reviews. Also, I would suggest a price quote based on doing the total job (versus someone quoting you an hourly rate only - which could drag on for who knows how long and how much money). And technically, if you go with an outdoor antenna setup (unlike being in the attic), you really should consider grounding any outdoor antenna to your electrical main. Though not everyone does this, it is part of code for safety reasons.

Although I don't personally know an TV Antenna Installer, just some thoughts here for you.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Which channel 27 are you asking about? If you're talking WIRP-LD in Raleigh, it moved from UHF 22 to VHF 10 during the repack after it was displaced by WUVC.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
WIRP-LD is a low power VHF station, so the maximum power they can have is 3 kW. This is their signal propogation map, unless you're in a green area you're going to need a lot more than just rabbitears to get it. To have any chance of getting it in Whitsett you'll need a rooftop directional antenna, and no nearby sources of noise that would affect VHF reception (i.e. cheap LED bulbs)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The difference is those other Raleigh stations are full power and higher up on their towers, so they have a stronger signal and are less affected by obstructions. WIRP-LD is a low power VHF station mounted lower on the tower, so the signal is much weaker.
i.e. WTVD on RF 9 broadcasts at 45 kW from 2283' above sea level giving them a 79.4 mile contour
WIRP-LD on RF 10 broadcasts at 3 kW from 1007' above sea level, only giving them a 45.9 mile contour.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The only confirmed changes on tap are the Katz networks (CourtTV, Laff, Bounce, Grit, Mystery) eventually moving to WGPX whenever their current deals expire. Which would free up space for potential replacements on their current homes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately, unlike the good old days (when it was as easy as opening the yellow pages of your phone book), it's more difficult now days for find a TV Antenna installer. But you might try researching security companies in your area. Since those types of companies do structured wiring, they may also be interested in installing an antenna for you.

But, I would suggest that you determine (first) that going outside is optimal for your situation. It really depends on your exact location, but sometimes people can get comparable results with an attic install. That is my situation. In other words, the reception results I get from my attic antenna(s) are great. Therefore, there's no benefit (in my personal situation) in taking on the present (and future) maintenance costs of an outdoor antenna setup. You could always try that (first) by placing an antenna in your attic and running a temporary coax to one of your receivers in-room.

Of course, sometimes an outdoor setup is needed for best results. If you go that route, I would recommend finding someone (or company) that is backed by positive reviews. Also, I would suggest a price quote based on doing the total job (versus someone quoting you an hourly rate only - which could drag on for who knows how long and how much money). And technically, if you go with an outdoor antenna setup (unlike being in the attic), you really should consider grounding any outdoor antenna to your electrical main. Though not everyone does this, it is part of code for safety reasons.

Although I don't personally know an TV Antenna Installer, just some thoughts here for you.

All that you said, and more, was considered before I posted here, asking for a name and number for someone to do what I need. Without a definite contact who can do the job, I might as well just keep my cable.

12581 - 12596 of 12596 Posts