AVS Forum banner

12601 - 12620 of 12626 Posts

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
I took the plunge and bought a Silcon Dust ATSC3 tuner, even though I have nothing to watch it with. It will do ATSC1 so I can still use it until then. Should be here this week sometime.
I am waiting on a converter box with an HDMI output but that may be a while. Also waiting on a station to start broadcasting the new format but looks but that may be a while yet for CLT and GSP.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
I am waiting on a converter box with an HDMI output but that may be a while. Also waiting on a station to start broadcasting the new format but looks but that may be a while yet for CLT and GSP.
In just some cursory playing around last night I did get a single hit on WRDC's channel 14 ATSC3 signal in the PSIP. Nothing was decodable. Looked like they have two streams right at the moment. 5000 and 5001, whatever they are. The receiver was saying they were UNKNOWN and then the signal was gone so it may not have had a good chance to decode anything before the band changed.

ATSC1 seemed to be pretty robust. As good as their other ATSC1 receivers.

It has four tuners, but only two will do ATSC3. All four will do ATSC1. I hope they might come out with a software update for all four tuners to do ATSC3 in the future, but I suspect they might be hardware limited on purpose to force to you buy something else later for more ATSC3 tuners.

We have no timetable yet on when we will go or how. We have no equipment in house now to do it anyway.

Reactions: CW Hall

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
A couple of screen shots with the HDHomeRun config software. One n channel 14, WRDC in ATSC3 and one with WGHP ATSC1 on channel 31 for a display comparison.Antenna is not pointed towards Raleigh and is only 15 ft off the ground. Only WUNC is the only Ralegh market station normally received at my location with this antenna system.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
This morning things were right on the cusp of decoding but no luck with WRDC. As you can see in the list, it is listed WRDC as HEVC HD and stream 5004.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
A little later the band got a little better and I was able to decode WRDC, but only WRDC. The tuner showed other stations in the stream, but only WRDC had data. The picture very stable even though the signal was not very good. A definite improvement over ATSC1.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
You may have found a reason to fix your rooftop antenna. If I remember you said it wasn't able to rotate or wasn't working for some reason.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
You may have found a reason to fix your rooftop antenna. If I remember you said it wasn't able to rotate or wasn't working for some reason.
The rotor went south a few years ago. It has been on the roof since 2002. I have a second setup with two antennas joined facing south and one northwest for the two tower locations. The antennas are about 10 ft off the ground with about 200 ft of feedline. I was trying to replicate most viewers setups with loss and such so when they call, I have some point of reference to talk to tem about.

Reactions: jspENC

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
The one thing I am finding is that at this point, ATSC3 reception is still VERY bleeding edge. It isn't plug and play yet. Many of the apps do not have all the codecs needed for decoding so you have to cobble stuff together and there are software updates almost daily. If you are looking for plug and play ATSC3 or new and different content, then I would say wait. If you like to tinker and don't care your picture may not be the best or the audio has issues but you love the thrill of playing, then go for it. It will keep you busy for hours. All the content on it at this time is the same resolution of ATSC1. The only advantage I can see at this point is the signal is much more robust than ATSC1. But looking at all the other issues, I won't go just based on that just yet. And stations are still working out issues as well. It is really still in its infancy. I would compare it to around 1999 or 2000 with ATSC 1.

The version of TS Reader I have didn't recognize it. It changed the tuner from ATSC3 back to ATSC1.

Reactions: bhambrad

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
My ATSC3 experience is continuing to yield some interesting information. Other than the needed codecs for audio are not in most of the apps yet, the signal strength vs decoding is very good. This morning, WRDC had hardly any signal quality and it was all over the the place, but the Symbol Quality was 100%. I didn't expect that. I originally suspected there would be no decoding. Quite the opposite. I had WRDC video quite well with no pixiliation. That was the only stream I could see. They must be using 16QAM where the other stations are using 64QAM and those were not decoding.

Reactions: Trip in VA

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you are looking for plug and play ATSC3 or new and different content, then I would say wait. If you like to tinker and don't care your picture may not be the best or the audio has issues but you love the thrill of playing, then go for it. It will keep you busy for hours. All the content on it at this time is the same resolution of ATSC1. The only advantage I can see at this point is the signal is much more robust than ATSC1. But looking at all the other issues, I won't go just based on that just yet. And stations are still working out issues as well. It is really still in its infancy. I would compare it to around 1999 or 2000 with ATSC 1.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I guess the big question at this point is - when will any of these ATSC3 broadcasts actually have any content in 4k? It seems we are still a ways off that date. But if the signal is more robust versus ATSC1, that is certainly worth highlighting. I read the range of these signals will not extend out any further than ATSC1. Still, if the efficiency is greater in terms of penetrating buildings, etc. that is a big plus for ATSC3, not to mention the ability to carrying a larger number of subs with greater picture quality. I am the owner of two ATSC1 tuners, but I will probably wait before buying one of the new ATSC3 tuners until I actually have something to play with. But the good news is - at least they have started. And I commend Silicon Dust for have the courage to step out in from on this versus sitting back and waiting on others to market these tuners.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
I have no inside knowledge, but if I were to hazard a guess, 4k is not where things will go to start with. It will be adding channels first. That isn't to say that 4k content will not and is not being created because it is, but 4k is not where things are moving to start with. It's just easier to add a diginet than to rebuild a station to do 4k. Like with HD, 4k will come, but it isn't top of the list. Unlike 2009, there are not that many companies and most have large debt to pay off. It's just more cost effective and better ROI to add diginets than to rebuild studios for 4k. The good news is that, unlike the Digital Transition, you have a lot of equipment that just needs software updates to make it compatible. The bad news is that cost can be huge. I saw a cost of what a software upgrade for a transmitter exciter from ATSC1 to ATSC3 and it was in the tens of thousands of dollars! Just to add code to hardware already on site! There is a lot behind the scenes that is driving it for good and bad.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
While extra channels are certainly an interest, I think as far as upgrades to existing ones go, you're going to see HDR rather than 4K as the big selling feature. 4K simply isn't the massive improvement over HD that HD was over HD, and I expect most people can't really tell the difference unless they have a very, very large screen. HDR/WCG, on the other hand, are definite and obvious improvements over the current situation, and have the added bonus of being far less bandwidth-intensive than 4K.

But that's just my opinion.

- Trip

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
While extra channels are certainly an interest, I think as far as upgrades to existing ones go, you're going to see HDR rather than 4K as the big selling feature. 4K simply isn't the massive improvement over HD that HD was over HD, and I expect most people can't really tell the difference unless they have a very, very large screen. HDR/WCG, on the other hand, are definite and obvious improvements over the current situation, and have the added bonus of being far less bandwidth-intensive than 4K.

But that's just my opinion.

- Trip
I would concur with that also. I was just commenting on 4k because that was the question asked.

Reactions: Trip in VA

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
Broadcasters Eye ATSC 3.0 Rollout in 16 Additional Cities by End-of-Summer, Says Pearl TV

By Phil Kurz 4 days ago

The launch of NextGen TV in the new markets will take the total above 40 cities

WASHINGTON—Pearl TV, a consortium of ATSC 3.0-backing commercial broadcasters together owning more than 750 TV stations, and the Phoenix Model Market partners, announced they have targeted end of summer 2021 to have NextGen TV on-air in 16 more cities, bringing the total to more than 40.

The announcement comes days before the opening of the virtual 2021 CES, Jan. 11-14.

“Today, almost 20% of America’s TV viewers already have access to NextGen TV broadcasts, and the television broadcasting industry is moving aggressively to expand the reach of NextGen TV in a herculean, collaborative effort to reach over half of American TV viewers by this fall. Broadcasters are working like never before to launch new NextGen TV channels that offer better picture and more expansive audio options for viewers,” said Pearl TV Executive Director Anne Schelle.

The cities targeted to be on-air with 3.0 by the end of the summer include: Atlanta; Baltimore; Boston; Buffalo, N.Y.; Charleston, S.C.; Charlotte, N.C.; Columbus, Ohio; Hartford, Conn.; Houston; Indianapolis; Kansas City, Mo.; Orlando, Fla.; Providence, R.I.; San Antonio, Texas; Washington, D.C.; and West Palm Beach, Fla.

“As the consumer technology industry begins to diversify its choices with more models and more affordable products for viewers, broadcasters will continue to push ahead with plans to initiate NextGen TV service in key markets throughout the country. We’re also doing our part to help to educate consumers about the benefits of NextGen TV,” she said.

In mid-November 2020, Pearl TV unveiled three NextGen TV promos, a consumer-facing NextGen TV website and online 3.0 resources for stations to use on their websites.

Pearl TV and the Phoenix Model Market partners also announced work is ongoing to develop cable compatibility standards for NextGen TV.

Further, in select cities, broadcasters have introduced an interactive application using a common application framework developed by Pearl TV and the Phoenix Model Market partners, they said.

The framework, which is open to third-party developers, enables viewers to access more news, weather and emergency alert information that is integrated with live broadcasts, they said.

Other ongoing ATSC 3.0 developments include the Motown 3.0 Test Track—a cooperative effort between Detroit TV broadcasters and the auto industry to explore 3.0 datacasting to deliver infotainment, emergency alerts, telematics and other data services to connected cars.

The broadcast industry is encouraged by the growing availability of ATSC 3.0 consumer electronics, she said.

At last year’s CES in Las Vegas, LG Electronics, Samsung and Sony announced some 20 NextGen TV models with 3.0 support. More TV manufacturers are expected to offer NextGen TVs this year, she said.

“And consumers will have the availability of set-top receivers, such as the ZapperBox from BitRouter and HDHomeRun Connect 4K from Silicon Dust, that will give consumers with existing TV sets the ability to receive NextGen TV broadcasts,” she said.

Pearl TV has scheduled a press announcement for later this afternoon. This story will be updated if new developments are revealed.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
Had a good band opening overnight. Sorry I missed it, but the HDHomeRun 4K didn't.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Had a good band opening overnight. Sorry I missed it, but the HDHomeRun 4K didn't.
View attachment 3078777 View attachment 3078778
Though you said you missed it, I see WRDC is back on your scan. I am guessing that's your strongest RDU signal from NW Greensboro?

On a different note, any predictions on where you think ATSC 3.0 will be late this summer when more stations rollout? In other words, I am wondering how "buggy" it will continue to be later this year? I have not been following the Raleigh forum very closely, but I have gathered there's been a number of "audio" issues with ATSC 3.0.

I am sure it will come to our market (in Greensboro) eventually. Meanwhile, since I am on the western end of the Triad market (and in-range for the CLT networks), I'll be interested to see how they perform when those signals go live (presumably sometime at the end of the summer).

While HDR, rather than 4K, may be the big selling point with ATSC 3.0 (at least for the foreseeable future), I am also guessing that ATSC 3.0 may be a "big" help in terms of providing better video quality for the sub channels. It's not as much of a problem in the Triad market, but WJZY (out of Charlotte) is a good example (under ATSC 1.0) where the video quality is subpar due to the large amount of subs.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
Though you said you missed it, I see WRDC is back on your scan. I am guessing that's your strongest RDU signal from NW Greensboro?
WRDC IS my only ATSC3 signal at the moment and it's not 100% of the time. The other stations (WLFL, WTVD, WUVC) are on WRDC's mux. WRAL stations are on their co owned WARZ CD. A 15kw LP on channel 34 I think. That's the first time I have received it.

On a different note, any predictions on where you think ATSC 3.0 will be late this summer when more stations rollout? In other words, I am wondering how "buggy" it will continue to be later this year? I have not been following the Raleigh forum very closely, but I have gathered there's been a number of "audio" issues with ATSC 3.0.
Charlotte is listed in the next group of 16. Don't know who will be going yet.

The firmware is getting better all the time. The latest update from last week now has audio on my ATSC1 channels on ALL my decoding devices now. The audio on the ATSC3 is dependent on what device you are using to decode the data. Not everyone seems to understand that. If you don't have a hardware or software AC4 decoder, no audio. Unlike ATSC1 which uses AC3, ATSC3 uses AC4 audio and not many devices have that codec in them yet.

While HDR, rather than 4K, may be the big selling point with ATSC 3.0 (at least for the foreseeable future), I am also guessing that ATSC 3.0 may be a "big" help in terms of providing better video quality for the sub channels. It's not as much of a problem in the Triad market, but WJZY (out of Charlotte) is a good example (under ATSC 1.0) where the video quality is subpar due to the large amount of subs.
Well not initially. With the lighthouse needed for ATSC1 for 5 years, I see most subs staying on ATSC1 and the main channels muxing with other channels on ATSC3 until ATSC1 is gone and/or bandwidth becomes available, whichever is first.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The firmware is getting better all the time. The latest update from last week now has audio on my ATSC1 channels on ALL my decoding devices now. The audio on the ATSC3 is dependent on what device you are using to decode the data. Not everyone seems to understand that. If you don't have a hardware or software AC4 decoder, no audio. Unlike ATSC1 which uses AC3, ATSC3 uses AC4 audio and not many devices have that codec in them yet.
You make a good point about folks not considering their hardware when posting about "audio" issues with atsc3.

In my particular case, I use HDHomeRun tuners along with a Bose Soundtouch 300. I've had the sound bar for about 3 1/2 years. I use my HDHR tuners, and sound bar with my new LG GX Series OLED 4k television. But this sound bar does not support AC4, as per its specifications. So it sounds like it would never work with atsc3 audio.

Of course, if I want to play around with atsc3 when it becomes available, I could run the sound through the TV itself since my new TV has a built-in atsc3 tuner. Presumably, the software on a high end/new TV (such as I own), will be kept up to date. At least, one would hope so! I paid big bucks for that TV. But there's probably little incentive in me buying a new HDHR atsc3 tuner anytime soon since my other TV sets are much older and could never take advantage of it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well not initially. With the lighthouse needed for ATSC1 for 5 years, I see most subs staying on ATSC1 and the main channels muxing with other channels on ATSC3 until ATSC1 is gone and/or bandwidth becomes available, whichever is first.
Yeah, that makes sense, especially since repack and all stations being crammed into a much smaller frequency range. But whenever it changes for subs, I can see a great benefit in PQ on that.

12601 - 12620 of 12626 Posts