AVS Forum banner

10421 - 10440 of 10455 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yep, Retro has been airing Classic Doctor Who every night at 8pm for the past few years. They loop through all available episodes of the classic series from the 1st doctor to the 7th Doctor.

As you probably know though, some of the early episodes are considered lost because at the time BBC reused the tapes. It's similar to what the US networks did with most of the soap operas until the mid-70s, they kept them archived as black and white kinescopes for as long as was required for FCC purposes, and then recorded over the originals since at the time no one thought there would be networks who would want to reair them decades later. It's also why many flashbacks to the late 60s-70s are in black and white even though they originally aired in color.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10,422 ·
Audio still lower on WEPX channels

·
Registered
150 Posts
Anybody else able seeing 9.5? I've got two tvs (one smart, one not) that are picking it up on the WNCT multicast. No channel label and no program info. Nothing on RabbitEars about it yet.

Maybe AntennaTV? I still can't pick up WTMH even though it is supposedly on the air.

Or that new Tegna channel Twist? I think that one is launching next month or soon.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Looks like Phillip Williams is taking the lead at WITN? The prior chief is gone from WITN.com

I can't see 9-5. I cannot get WTMH. If it's on it's too weak, and WUNJ is on the same channel. I put an antenna back outside also.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks like Phillip Williams is taking the lead at WITN? The prior chief is gone from WITN.com

I can't see 9-5. I cannot get WTMH. If it's on it's too weak, and WUNJ is on the same channel. I put an antenna back outside also.
I wondered if it would be Phillip that got it. Is that official? I don't usually watch the 5 o'clock news. Seems like he would be the most likely choice though, unless they wanted to go younger like with Matt, the former chief met that left.

I'll post if I see anything show up on 9.5. I've run a rescan a few times just to make sure and it's still there.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I wondered if it would be Phillip that got it. Is that official? I don't usually watch the 5 o'clock news. Seems like he would be the most likely choice though, unless they wanted to go younger like with Matt, the former chief met that left.

I'll post if I see anything show up on 9.5. I've run a rescan a few times just to make sure and it's still there.
I don't think it is official. I don't watch the news either much and didn't even know Matt had left. I tuned in yesterday because of all the hype about destructive tornadoes, which didn't happen... and saw Phillip in there and thought that was odd, since he wasn't the cheif. They will probably bring in someone who knows nothing about the area, and has to start off green. I kind of like watching the fun girls on WNCT sometimes... lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't think it is official. I don't watch the news either much and didn't even know Matt had left. I tuned in yesterday because of all the hype about destructive tornadoes, which didn't happen... and saw Phillip in there and thought that was odd, since he wasn't the cheif. They will probably bring in someone who knows nothing about the area, and has to start off green. I kind of like watching the fun girls on WNCT sometimes... lol
I know what you mean. When I was in grade school, we went out into the hallways for tornado drills. Now they cancel classes completely for a threat of bad weather. And that's because of the race of the local stations to be "first to alert" you to severe weather threat three or four days out. And then you have days like yesterday, where the storm has mostly petered out by the time it reaches the area. I just look out the window now and check the radar on my phone to see what I need to prepare for.

Phillip is definitely deserving of the chief met position over there at WITN. IDK if he wants it though. TBH, I will be surprised if they don't bring in someone from somewhere else that is younger for the gig.

I've only seen the girls on WNCT here and there when they fill in on weekday mornings. I mostly watch CBS This Morning every day so that's the most local news I see by way of the cut-ins. If I watch a whole newscast, it's usually WRAL or WTVD.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
This time I don't blame the local stations, I blame the SPC. They are the ones who came out with the level 4 risk which then everyone has to show and pass along. If they go against it, and are wrong, they would likely be fired, or the viewers would be up in arms. I don't know what they were looking at, but the models I checked were not indicating anything like what I would have expected. Even WRAL was showing a tornado probability map a few nights ago that showed nothing significant. The EOC here said this would be an event that occurs once every 10 years! Unbelievable the fear they throw at these kids today cancelling school.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Has anyone heard about georestrictions on ATSC 3.0? The ability to block stations just over the border of the market? Why are most of the stations around us now ignoring people who watch from a county not in the market on their news, especially since their ratings are in the toilet? WCTI has a great signal, but they act like a low power station that doesn't reach out of the DMA. The Wilmington stations are just about the same now too.

So when will ATSC 3.0 launch around here? 2 years?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Has anyone heard about georestrictions on ATSC 3.0? The ability to block stations just over the border of the market? Why are most of the stations around us now ignoring people who watch from a county not in the market on their news, especially since their ratings are in the toilet? WCTI has a great signal, but they act like a low power station that doesn't reach out of the DMA. The Wilmington stations are just about the same now too.

So when will ATSC 3.0 launch around here? 2 years?
I haven't read too much about blocking people from receiving signals outside of the DMA with ATSC 3. I assume it's possible though.

As to the other question about out of market news, it's been a few years, but from my experience, there's just no money in it. If you can't make any money off of Wayne County advertisers because Nielsen says everybody there is watching WRAL, etc. then there's little incentive for our local stations to send a crew, etc. for coverage or even just reporting the latest developments from the city council meeting. Does that mean that people in Wayne County aren't watching? Of course not. But there are less OTA viewers than cable and satellite and they're the ones, by and large, that are being counted. Plus, most of our local stations here are no longer on the out of market cable systems, which is why you rarely see reporters from our DMA in the OBX or the finger counties up in the northeast, etc. Those counties are all part of the Norfolk DMA. JMHO as I understand it. If someone else has further thoughts, feel free to share.

IIRC, there was something posted by FoxENG from Greensboro about UNC TV eyeballing later this year to start broadcasting ATSC 3 here in Greenville. The local stations, I believe, are targeting 4Q or next year. I honestly can't remember what their schedule is right now.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I hope ATSC 3 is better with multipath than the current method. When you have tall old trees, it is very difficult with most antennas to deal with the signal bouncing in and out. I had to take my antennas out of the attic and get them back outside. I am still working on the setup, but so far, getting the old Winegard HD8800 back up has been the best solution I have tried. I tried other antennas but they were not strong enough. I do notice the Winegard gets the 9's (real 12) stronger than channel 12's (10), but they are good enough if the wind isn't blowing 25 MPH. I can turn the antenna to the southwest and get everything in normal conditions. You can't do that with other antennas. You also can't point two UHF antennas and combine them anymore like I did in the past. It's not good enough. I don't know how long I've had the antenna, but it must be close to 20 years now, and is still in good shape!

I think if our local stations had sub channels that better appealed to people, more would turn their antennas toward the east. I never understood the deal with Dare county going to the Norfolk market. Those channels are further out than New Bern.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I hope ATSC 3 is better with multipath than the current method. When you have tall old trees, it is very difficult with most antennas to deal with the signal bouncing in and out. I had to take my antennas out of the attic and get them back outside. I am still working on the setup, but so far, getting the old Winegard HD8800 back up has been the best solution I have tried. I tried other antennas but they were not strong enough. I do notice the Winegard gets the 9's (real 12) stronger than channel 12's (10), but they are good enough if the wind isn't blowing 25 MPH. I can turn the antenna to the southwest and get everything in normal conditions. You can't do that with other antennas. You also can't point two UHF antennas and combine them anymore like I did in the past. It's not good enough. I don't know how long I've had the antenna, but it must be close to 20 years now, and is still in good shape!

I think if our local stations had sub channels that better appealed to people, more would turn their antennas toward the east. I never understood the deal with Dare county going to the Norfolk market. Those channels are further out than New Bern.
Same here. I still have breakups even though locals are rock solid and RDU is solid though not quite as good. I was talking to someone recently and they were shocked that I get close to 70 channels free over the air between local and RDU. Hate that so many are duplicates, but with the consolidation, pretty soon all Nexstar stations will be running the same subs as will Sinclair, Gray, Tegna, etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello Guys its been awhile just wanted to let everyone know that Lowes is now carry Televes products. Haven't seen them in store,but you can order from the website. I just got this amp
Televes T-Force Auto Preamp (2 Input) Model #560483.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Hello Guys its been awhile just wanted to let everyone know that Lowes is now carry Televes products. Haven't seen them in store,but you can order from the website. I just got this amp
Televes T-Force Auto Preamp (2 Input) Model #560483.
How does the preamp work? Televes LR Mix antenna is an excellent product from what I have gathered.

·
Registered
83 Posts
How does the preamp work? Televes LR Mix antenna is an excellent product from what I have gathered.
Haven[t had the chance to install yet. I'll post results when I do. I'm hoping it will help with some signal overload with WITN. This amp is supposed send less "BOOST" to stronger channels and more to weaker channels

·
Registered
150 Posts
So, remember a few weeks ago when I thought WNCT might have fired up a new channel on 9.5? It went away briefly and came back the next day. I've been keeping an eye on it the past couple of weeks and now they have put up color bars and a test tone, but it is for WTVD-D4. I forgot they broadcast on the RF 9 frequency. I guess maybe they are launching a new channel? They already have ABC on .1, Localish on .2, LAFF on .3, and COMET on .4 but showing as 28.3 for the channel share with WRDC.
2.jpg 1.jpg

EDIT: A poster in Raleigh thread let me know that 11.4 will be HSN and all ABC O&Os will replace LAFF with THIS TV tomorrow.

10421 - 10440 of 10455 Posts