AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 13824 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re WSPA audio, Ron Peeler replies:

"Thanks....still working on this. We are in the middle of a server change for

all programming and are simply covered up with things to do.

Thanks for watching, we'll get better.

Ron Peeler"

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re WNTV Program listings:

Here is a response from Hap Griffin regarding 9-1,2,3 program listings:

"We recently added program data to 9-1 and 9-2, but 9-3 is still simply passing the HD from the PBS loop, which is not yet a scheduled service. We may have some test data in the que, but it is at this point meaningless. PBS will begin scheduling this service in December and will begin offering a richer HD scheduled service in February. Once the schedule info is made available to us, we will integrate it into the EPG for 9-3.

Hope that helps."

Hap

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
To All regarding WLOS

I have just returned from the UNCTV forum on Digital Television where I was told that Sinclair had issued an order for several million dollars worth of DT/HD equipment. The implication was that WLOS would receive some of this, but station personnel have insisted for some time that they have equipment for HD on hand. I also do not see a WLOS-DT signal today and hopefully that means installation is underway.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Re WLOS--

Sorry gang, but here is WLOS' Jim Carrier's response to being off the air:

"No new equipment installation yet. And, we would probably not be

working here if we were able to predict down-time in advance."

WLOS-DT is back on the air, but no change in power, pattern, or format.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Re: OTA Reception:

OTA over the past two weeks (approximately) has been seen a lot of changes for my location in the mountains. For example, my signals from Mt. Pisgah (WLOS and WUNF) have changed so that the maximum signal from the two DT transmissions from over a nearby rise are some 20 degrees apart. I cannot received the two stations from the same antenna orientation. DT Channel 9 in Greenville is very unstable and often breaks up. Signal strength for all DT transmissions has changed from day to day. At this point I have to use two different antenna locations to receive all local DT stations that for the past six months have been reliably received on one antenna.

Signals from the Charlotte area have from time to time been unusually strong.

I would appreciate comments regarding any other OTA observations.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello Jerry.

I have noticed a steady deterioration in my OTA reception during the past month. The trees shedding their leaves may have increased multipathing at my location here in Lenoir. If it gets much worse I may have to give up OTA reception.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jerry:

Ditto on the OTA reception. Especially channel 9, which up until recently had no problems at all, now its no longer picking it up. I havent moved the attenna, because I finally found a "sweet spot" where I could get both ch 4 and 7 at the same time. (that and the fact I've seen the demo loop enough, and there's very little to watch on ch 9, but that's another thread)

As of right now though, ch 4 and 7 are the only two I can get, and if it rains or the wind blows then ch 4 goes out.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I don't look forward to the day when most of the DT stations in the 50s must move to another channel....and many seem to prefer the VHF band. Channel 9 has been my biggest problem in this area, first with co-channel, now probably multi-path, and perhaps adjacent channels from time to time. When the station first signed on, for weeks I received a very strong signal using a simple dipole. Occasionally there are SCETV HD programs (such as Soundstage) that I relied on, until now. SC and NC PBS have different schedules.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Re: Greenville's Ch 9 DT:

I have been unable to receive a signal from this station for several days. Anyone receiving it, and at usual strength?

·
Registered
778 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry birdwell
Re: Greenville's Ch 9 DT:

I have been unable to receive a signal from this station for several days. Anyone receiving it, and at usual strength?

Coming in at 100 signal strength as usual for me. I am only about 4 miles from the tower though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What was up with WHNS tonite?? I wanted to catch new eps of the Simpsons and Bernie Mac.. All I got was left channel audio on DT57 and a little of right channel audio on analog 21!! Geez, this is sad.

I tuned over to analog 18 in Charlotte, perfect audio.. Band conditions were such that I could not get DT27 reliably.. But what little I could get sounded great. (Thanks to Bob as always for his passion to make things run like they ought to!!)..

This is pathetic people. I don't mean to fuss as I know there are some techs and engineers here that are doing the best that they can with what they have to work with, but there is no excuse for what I heard on WHNS tonite.

This right here is a big reason why I drive over 120 miles round trip to work five days per week. I refuse to move to Asheville to live because I don't want to give up my wonderful quality HD OTA from Charlotte!

·
Registered
778 Posts
WHNS was like that at 12:00 Sunday afternoon as well. I wonder if these stations even monitor what they are actually sending out over the air waves. I am just glad I get the NFL games and the Faux Widescreen via DirecTv. I really have no other need for Fox or our pathetic local affilliate.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The people at WHNS have been far from truthfull about their DT plans , before they went live all we heard about was the equipment not installed yet, but one time I called to see if anything new was on the agenda and the engineer I talked to slipped up and told me that the equipment had been in place for awhile and that they were not going live because they did not want to spend money for the power to run it. Probably the same type of scenario in regards to FOX widescreen. All we can hope for is some other party buying these clowns out.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
To all: Re WLOS-DT replacing transmitter:

Jim Carrier has advised:

"Tomorrow morning WLOS-DT will go off the air to replace the low power

transmitter. AI tech expects to take at least the entire week. I

expect that it may take longer since there is the possibility of snow

later in the week. The existing transmitter must be dis-assembled and

taken down the cable car before any of the new equipment can be brought

up to the top."

Jim

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Re WLOS-DT:

It is higher power. Lets just hope that they use its higher power and pass through the ABC HD.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Re WLOS-DT

A scan this morning found WLOS-DT back on the air. However, my signal reading is less that in the past, with the antenna(s) oriented for the maximum available signal. It is less than WUNF-DT which is on the same tower.

21 - 40 of 13824 Posts