AVS Forum banner

13241 - 13260 of 13405 Posts

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Added a second FM Trap (before pre-amp) and 5 feet of height to my antenna. No problems with WLOS now
I also use a FM Trap to stabilize reception of WLOS on RF13. Otherwise I have pixelation and dropouts. But too bad they are no longer sold by Radioshack, Antennas Direct or MCM. Not sure where you would find one now.

Do you have a picture of your current antenna? You have good results with distant channels.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I also use a FM Trap to stabilize reception of WLOS on RF13. Otherwise I have pixelation and dropouts. But too bad they are no longer sold by Radioshack, Antennas Direct or MCM. Not sure where you would find one now.

Do you have a picture of your current antenna? You have good results with distant channels.

I'll send you some pics in a PM later. I'm catching WLOS on the backside of the antenna with that 23-24dB signal. Gaston County locals located ~ 60 degrees , Charlotte locals are around 100 degrees. WLOS is at 280 degrees, so it works out perfect pointing at 100 degrees (to catch WLOS on the back). Even 40 degrees off , I'm still get WBTV/WCNC/WJZY @ 35-38dB

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had a interesting thing happen. Because I was at work I recorded on VHS an episode of the British show Escape to the Country from DABL on WMYA.

On the TV I was using when you're on the AV input the on screen display says: "AV" & "NTSC". Just what you'd expect.

DABL had a switching problem and went to the show while it still on the black at the head of the program.

The TV popped up it's display and said: "AV" & "PAL". When the video came up it went back to "NTSC".

I know the show would have been produced in PAL originally. Don't know why this would happen however. Didn't know this TV would even know what PAL was. It was sort interesting so I thought I'd share it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
WSPA/WYCW is currently operating at reduced power on a temporary antenna. Channel 7 has always been one of my strongest signals dating back to the analog days, but there has been a significant decrease in their signal since Tuesday night. I figured maybe they were preparing for their move to channel 11 on July 3rd, so I emailed them about it and got two separate replies confirming that. One reply stated they may not be back to full power until the week after the move.

·
Registered
276 Posts
WSPA dropped down below 20 dB on my Samsung this week in Morganton, NC. Usually it's right there with WLOS at 28-30dB.

The VHF signals out of GSP/Asheville have always been easy to pick up in Morganton as far back as I remember in the 1980s. I'm glad WSPA and WLOS are staying on VHF.

·
Registered
867 Posts
WSPA filed a STA today to operate at reduced power from a temporary antenna about 100 feet lower while they replace the main antenna:
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/public/tv/draftCopy.html?displayType=html&appKey=25076f9172e333d00172e7fa20830b2e&id=25076f9172e333d00172e7fa20830b2e&goBack=N
The purpose of this Engineering STA application is to allow the WSPA-DT facility to temporarily operate with alternate parameters on its pre-auction channel (7) using a side-mounted directional interim antenna (TLS4-BB/VP-R) while the new post-auction main antenna is installed and the remaining portion of the repack-related buildout work is completed.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
WSPA filed a STA today to operate at reduced power from a temporary antenna about 100 feet lower while they replace the main antenna:
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/public/tv/draftCopy.html?displayType=html&appKey=25076f9172e333d00172e7fa20830b2e&id=25076f9172e333d00172e7fa20830b2e&goBack=N
Then the new channel 11 repack antenna is supposed to be installed by July 3 although according to the above post they may not be full power until a week or so later.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
WSPA dropped down below 20 dB on my Samsung this week in Morganton, NC. Usually it's right there with WLOS at 28-30dB.

The VHF signals out of GSP/Asheville have always been easy to pick up in Morganton as far back as I remember in the 1980s. I'm glad WSPA and WLOS are staying on VHF.
In the Upstate SC WSPA is usually easier to receive than WLOS, perhaps because 13 has a directional pattern with a null in the region. Therefore it seems more subject to noise and interference, and requires more strategic placement of the antenna, and perhaps filters such as an FM trap, and careful use of an amplifier. WSPA has a more omnidirectional pattern. I wish WLOS was more omnidirectional, but perhaps they had to avoid same channel interference with WBTW in Florence, SC which also transmits on RF13, but I am not sure about that. There may have been other reasons, but at least they have a very tall tower on Mt. Pisgah which helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In the Upstate SC WSPA is usually easier to receive than WLOS, perhaps because 13 has a directional pattern with a null in the region. Therefore it seems more subject to noise and interference, and requires more strategic placement of the antenna, and perhaps filters such as an FM trap, and careful use of an amplifier. WSPA has a more omnidirectional pattern. I wish WLOS was more omnidirectional, but perhaps they had to avoid same channel interference with WBTW in Florence, SC which also transmits on RF13, but I am not sure about that. There may have been other reasons, but at least they have a very tall tower on Mt. Pisgah which helps.

When you say null in the region what do you mean, something to block the signal?

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
When you say null in the region what do you mean, something to block the signal?
WLOS has a directional pattern that sends a stronger signal to Western NC and Eastern Tennessee, and it is a bit weaker in certain regions of Upstate SC. Not an even circle. But WSPA has an omnidirectional or nondirectonal pattern which sends more evenly distributed signal strength in all directions, sort of one big even circular radius. Of course this can still be affected by mountains and terrain. The coverage maps show the difference of a big circle or different shaped pattern.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
"WLOS has a directional pattern that sends a stronger signal to Western NC and Eastern Tennessee, and it is a bit weaker in certain regions of Upstate SC. Not an even circle. But WSPA has an omnidirectional or nondirectonal pattern which sends more evenly distributed signal strength in all directions, sort of one big even circular radius. Of course this can still be affected by mountains and terrain. The coverage maps show the difference of a big circle or different shaped pattern."

This is all so wrong, There are Sector Antennas which give you 30,60,90, etc. degree coverage and you can use multiple ones to get your coverage, this helps when you are trying to cover certain designated areas. An Omni set up is 360-degree's of coverage (an Omni is directional as well, think multiple antennas to get the desired 360-degree coverage ) Also there can be down tilt of said antennas ( in degrees) to give you a canopy coverage so you are not broadcasting out beyond the horizon of your coverage map. The combination of antenna gain, height, and wattage give you the desired coverage and proper reception to the receiving antenna.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
"WLOS has a directional pattern that sends a stronger signal to Western NC and Eastern Tennessee, and it is a bit weaker in certain regions of Upstate SC. Not an even circle. But WSPA has an omnidirectional or nondirectonal pattern which sends more evenly distributed signal strength in all directions, sort of one big even circular radius. Of course this can still be affected by mountains and terrain. The coverage maps show the difference of a big circle or different shaped pattern."

This is all so wrong, There are Sector Antennas which give you 30,60,90, etc. degree coverage and you can use multiple ones to get your coverage, this helps when you are trying to cover certain designated areas. An Omni set up is 360-degree's of coverage (an Omni is directional as well, think multiple antennas to get the desired 360-degree coverage ) Also there can be down tilt of said antennas ( in degrees) to give you a canopy coverage so you are not broadcasting out beyond the horizon of your coverage map. The combination of antenna gain, height, and wattage give you the desired coverage and proper reception to the receiving antenna.
Thanks for clarification as perhaps I did not understand correctly from a technical standpoint. But as I research coverage maps and based upon local reception experience, WSPA seems to have more of a 360 degree pattern and WLOS is directed differently such that it seems weaker to receive in parts of Upstate SC. Some broadcast signals seem to have nulls in certain areas for whatever the technical reasons may be, whether it be terrain or license to cover specific regions.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Thanks for clarification as perhaps I did not understand correctly from a technical standpoint. But as I research coverage maps and based upon local reception experience, WSPA seems to have more of a 360 degree pattern and WLOS is directed differently such that it seems weaker to receive in parts of Upstate SC. Some broadcast signals seem to have nulls in certain areas for whatever the technical reasons may be, whether it be terrain or license to cover specific regions.
Your on the right track, take a paper plate and cut out a pie section of it. That is what a null is in terms of allowable coverage area= this is what the FCC allows for Market area and also for interference from same and or adjacent carriers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
^I emailed Decades. They said they weren't able to answer their email personally. Suggested that I contact the local affiliate. What? someone had to read that email to know what response to send back to me. So clearly they do answer their email.

Anyway I'm not contacting WGGS. Since it's blank for so long I wonder if their contact has run out or maybe they're about to move to another station.

13241 - 13260 of 13405 Posts