AVS Forum banner

13261 - 13280 of 13405 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
^I emailed Decades. They said they weren't able to answer their email personally. Suggested that I contact the local affiliate. What? someone had to read that email to know what response to send back to me. So clearly they do answer their email.

Anyway I'm not contacting WGGS. Since it's blank for so long I wonder if their contact has run out or maybe they're about to move to another station.
it was back on Yesterday evening have you recheck your tv.

·
Registered
278 Posts
it was back on Yesterday evening have you recheck your tv.
I can't actually recieve WGGS's two low power stations. I get Decades from WGTA in Toccoa.

Trying to be helpful, I thought I just email them and see if I could find out what was going on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Despite their preemption-happy roots, i'd go with WLOS over WYFF. WYFF preempted more than WLOS back in the day. Even though 13 didn't have ACC games, they still aired Billy Graham over some ABC shows, like 4 aired ACC games over NBC shows.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
WSPA is coming in good on test of the new RF11 tonight. Similar reception to RF7 in my location in NC.

And according to reports they may not be Full Power yet until another week or so, but I have no confirmation on that. So we shall see what they say when Friday comes. Either way good to hear they have good new signal for WSPA-RF11.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
it came in good over here in Spartanburg also before they turn it off
they test WSPA-RF11 again today it come in good.

and good news it do not interfere with WSOC-RF12.

proper VHF/UHF antenna RCA ANT751-Winegard work very well with LNA100 inline amp.

·
Registered
278 Posts
WSPA has had channel 11 running from around 7pm. At least that's when I noticed it. It has good signal level here in Oconee County and looks great. Great news since it's the tower that's furthest from my house.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am getting a watchable signal for WSPA in WNC. I had to peak the antenna a bit to get out of pixelation after the re-scan. I expect it will be great after they go full power. I'll do a better job of peaking tomorrow when I can see my antenna. I am using a diy stealth hawk and I can't see it in the dark.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
WSPA has had channel 11 running from around 7pm. At least that's when I noticed it. It has good signal level here in Oconee County and looks great. Great news since it's the tower that's furthest from my house.
Yes good signal tonight WSPA-RF11. I guess they turn off RF7 sometime tomorrow. Have not seen SCETV yet on RF8 I guess they wait until tomorrow.

And RF11 may not yet be full power so good news so far.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It is still on this morning on RF 11

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
It is still on this morning on RF 11
They are running both RF11 and RF7 for WSPA this morning. I guess they turn off 7 later today.

But no signal this morning for WNTV as RF9 off the air and no signal yet on RF8 for SCETV. I guess they working on flipping the switch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
WSPA RF11 not so good today. I guess I'll have to wait for full power and may have to find another hot spot for my antenna. The current location was chosen in analog days and can be tricky in the WNC mountains. I can't find the translator for Brevard either. I'll just wait it out before making changes since prime time programming is re-runs I have gone to reading 4 or 5 books per week.

·
Registered
156 Posts
WSPA RF11 not so good today. I guess I'll have to wait for full power and may have to find another hot spot for my antenna. The current location was chosen in analog days and can be tricky in the WNC mountains. I can't find the translator for Brevard either. I'll just wait it out before making changes since prime time programming is re-runs I have gone to reading 4 or 5 books per week.
It's quite likely that the translators need to be adjusted for the channel 11 input frequency. Unless they have a way to do this remotely, it's likely that an engineer will need to visit each site.

·
Registered
278 Posts
As of around 1pm WNTV was up on channel 8. It's interesting to note that their website doesn't mention anything about a switch happening today. The "tower alert" page tells us the Columbia radio and Tv stations are on low power. But there's no mention of WNTV. I don't remember seeing any crawls running on air.

I would call that a fail.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
As of around 1pm WNTV was up on channel 8. It's interesting to note that their website doesn't mention anything about a switch happening today. The "tower alert" page tells us the Columbia radio and Tv stations are on low power. But there's no mention of WNTV. I don't remember seeing any crawls running on air.

I would call that a fail.
Yes I wake up and see WNTV turn on RF8. And WSPA turn off RF7. Getting good signal for both WSPA and SCETV about 98% to 100% on Panasonic TV. Haven't checked Samsung yet. But both 8 and 11 may not be full power yet.

And apparently SCETV did not communicate as good as UNC-TV or WSPA about the change. UNC-TV had good rescan page on their website for all their repack stations.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes I wake up and see WNTV turn on RF8. And WSPA turn off RF7. Getting good signal for both WSPA and SCETV about 98% to 100% on Panasonic TV. Haven't checked Samsung yet. But both 8 and 11 may not be full power yet.

And apparently SCETV did not communicate as good as UNC-TV or WSPA about the change. UNC-TV had good rescan page on their website for all their repack stations.
UNC-TV made one huge mistake. They failed to inform the viewers in Western NC that they were moving to a new tower. They simply told people re-scan. So very few people knew they needed to re-aim their antennas.

·
Registered
276 Posts
WNTV will need to build a new tower according to FCC filing.
--------
WNTV(TV) – Request for Extension of STA
LMS File No. 112035
South Carolina Educational TV Commission (“SCETV”), licensee of noncommercial
educational TV station WNTV(TV), Greenville, South Carolina (“WNTV”), hereby requests an
extension of the engineering STA granted in LMS File No. 112035. WNTV requests an
additional 180 days of authority, i.e., until December 30, 2020.
WNTV is assigned to transition from Channel 9 to Channel 8 in Phase 10 of the repack.
WNTV’s transition plan calls for, among other things, replacement of the station’s transmitter
and construction of a new tower for the station’s facilities.
A structural study conducted early in the repack process determined that WNTV’s existing
tower, built in the 1980s, was inadequate to meet the applicable TIA-222-G building standard.
In fact, the engineering firm conducting the study recommended that the tower be
decommissioned and torn down. Upon learning this, SCETV decided to look into purchasing
land adjacent to the existing tower and to construct a new tower for WNTV’s permanent post-
repack facilities. SCETV has been in discussions to purchase the property since summer of
2017, but its efforts ran into numerous internal and external delays, from state government
processes to staff turnover at SCETV. SCETV recently resolved all of the outstanding real estate
issues but now must complete the design, permitting, and construction of the new tower.
SCETV expects to complete these efforts in 2021. The special temporary authority granted in
LMS File No. 112035 will permit the station to operate on its post-repack channel from its
current facilities until such time as its permanent facilities can be constructed.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
UNC-TV made one huge mistake. They failed to inform the viewers in Western NC that they were moving to a new tower. They simply told people re-scan. So very few people knew they needed to re-aim their antennas.
I did not need to re-aim my antenna to maintain 33 but that may indeed have been an issue for viewers in other locations such as Western NC or otherwise. should have been informed.

13261 - 13280 of 13405 Posts