AVS Forum banner

13341 - 13360 of 13408 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. I'm getting major drop-outs around noon and midnight. Which would make that seem likely.
Monday afternoon and evening I was getting some crazy atmospheric anomalies. Everything from Greensboro was coming in, even picked up the FOX from Myrtle Beach for a few minutes in the early AM.

·
Registered
15,136 Posts
Monday afternoon and evening I was getting some crazy atmospheric anomalies. Everything from Greensboro was coming in, even picked up the FOX from Myrtle Beach for a few minutes in the early AM.
I'm only 14 miles away and have a decent sized attic antenna, probably 25' off the ground, big enough to pull in WLOS. But my 40 has always been flaky, and still is. It'll be perfect for 30 seconds, the break up badly, then return to perfect. Seems like interference of some kind, but I can't think of any possible sources. I'd think even if there is some sort of interference that's not affecting any other channels that a big power boost would improve things a little bit. Not so for me.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm only 14 miles away and have a decent sized attic antenna, probably 25' off the ground, big enough to pull in WLOS. But my 40 has always been flaky, and still is. It'll be perfect for 30 seconds, the break up badly, then return to perfect. Seems like interference of some kind, but I can't think of any possible sources. I'd think even if there is some sort of interference that's not affecting any other channels that a big power boost would improve things a little bit. Not so for me.
As of 430PM today, my signal for WMYA (70 miles) is 24dB, and WLOS (84 miles) is 25dB. Both are around 50-60% on the signal meter.

·
Registered
280 Posts
As of 430PM today, my signal for WMYA (70 miles) is 24dB, and WLOS (84 miles) is 25dB. Both are around 50-60% on the signal meter.
Unlike some in the Upstate WLOS and WHNS are the strongest stations at my house. I wish Sinclair would move DABL to WLOS then it wouldn't matter to me if I got WMYA. I'm perfectly happy watching the main channel in SD on WLOS. And Comet, TBD and Charge stream for free on their websites should they EVER run anything I want to watch. (Edit) DABL runs a live feed on their website too. I can always watch it there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've found out that you see actors and comedians hosting in daytime these days- Drew Carey, Wayne Brady, Drew Barrymore and Steve Harvey. Where's the professional guys like Bob Barker, Mike Douglas, Monty Hall or Merv Griffin these days?

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I've found out that you see actors and comedians hosting in daytime these days- Drew Carey, Wayne Brady, Drew Barrymore and Steve Harvey. Where's the professional guys like Bob Barker, Mike Douglas, Monty Hall or Merv Griffin these days?
The last great one just passed away with the death of Regis Philbin. And longtime cohostess Kathie Lee Gifford has retired from the talk shows. Also miss the legendary nighttime hosts like Leno, Letterman, and of course Carson. I think I prefer Jimmy Kimmel out of the current crop.

And now they have messed up Dancing with the Stars as they drop longtime host Tom Bergeron and replace with Tyra Banks. Nothing against her but it won't be the same. I would have kept Tom and just made Tyra the new cohost if they wanted to make a change. And the continue to phase out the famous theme song which changes the opening dynamics.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The last great one just passed away with the death of Regis Philbin. And longtime cohostess Kathie Lee Gifford has retired from the talk shows. Also miss the legendary nighttime hosts like Leno, Letterman, and of course Carson. I think I prefer Jimmy Kimmel out of the current crop.

And now they have messed up Dancing with the Stars as they drop longtime host Tom Bergeron and replace with Tyra Banks. Nothing against her but it won't be the same. I would have kept Tom and just made Tyra the new cohost if they wanted to make a change. And the continue to phase out the famous theme song which changes the opening dynamics.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Would agree about Kimmel. To think it took him for WLOS to finally clear the midnight slot in pattern. Before Kimmel, WLOS 13 would delay Nightline by 30 minutes for Barney Miller reruns (before moving to then-indie/now FOX WHNS 21) and later Night Court reruns before carrying Nightline in pattern. The only show i know that did well for them in late night was American Gladiators opposite Saturday Night Live. I believe that AG replaced WLOS's late night movies on Saturdays?

·
Registered
119 Posts
[

You mention Carson. I remember my grandmother would watch this game show right after Young Doctor Malone(she'd change the channel from NBC to ABC) in the late 50s starring this young comic. I guess it turned out really good, because he got the Tonight gig in 62...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Anyone getting a jerky picture on WHNS 21.1? MLB baseball hasn't looked good lately. Usually WHNS is better than WJZY on sports broadcasts but that seems to have reversed.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Anyone getting a jerky picture on WHNS 21.1? MLB baseball hasn't looked good lately. Usually WHNS is better than WJZY on sports broadcasts but that seems to have reversed.
I'm watching side by side, it seems like the WHNS feed is less frames or something. I guess jerky is as correct term as any

I also learned WJZY is a second or two ahead of WHNS

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I'm watching side by side, it seems like the WHNS feed is less frames or something. I guess jerky is as correct term as any

WJZY has more subchannels including 2 HD feeds so the video bandwidth is more starved.

·
Registered
533 Posts
WJZY has more subchannels including 2 HD feeds so the video bandwidth is more starved.
WHNS had the frame issues, NOT WJZY.

Actually, if you monitor it in TSReader on both channels, WJZY occasionally gets a higher bitrate than WHNS during the same time (during FOX programming, of course). I've seen WMYT go down to 3.5Mbps. WJZY's sub channels can go below 800kbps, while WHNS sub channels stay around 2-2.5Mbps. WJZY definitely gets priority, rest of the channels have to fend for themselves.

·
Registered
14,398 Posts

I suspect WJZY is not using the splicer (due to all the subs, the splicer really bogs down past 4) and WHNS is still on the splicer and that is why the delay is different. The splicer was being phased out when COVID hit and suspended the removal at stations, with the removal program resuming after the NFL season. We were scheduled for removal the first week of the COVID shutdown. Mine is still in the rack but is not in use waiting to be removed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
WLOS and WSPA are pretty happy right now, since the ACC and SEC are still gonna play. WHNS would get either old movies or baseball to fill time lost? Oh Big 12 is still gonna play too, so the movies are out.

13341 - 13360 of 13408 Posts