AVS Forum banner

13501 - 13520 of 13546 Posts

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
WSPA now in the new studio. Looks nice and modern, big improvement. But I would phase out the split Greenville studio.
But apparently WSPA has been dropped by the Dish Network in a contract dispute with Nexstar. As well as WJZY from Charlotte.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've made a phone call to WYFF 4 (NBC) today about my suggestions about severe weather crawls.

I know TV stations are required to put severe weather bulletins on the screen at the event of severe weather.

I mentioned to the woman that WYFF and Greenville/Spartanburg market is notorious for leaving the severe weather thingy on the screen at all times during severe weather like WYFF does during common severe t-storm warnings during the summer which they leave the crawls on at all times (especially during commercial breaks either NBC or syndicated) which is very annoying. I've made some suggestions to them what they need to do....Watch the stations from Columbia or Charlotte for example when they have Severe Weather bulletins and they do it very discreet and minimally invasive unlike this market does. I've also mentioned stations WIS from Columbia and WSOC from Charlotte as examples.

What do you think tylerSC?
WHNS didn't put the weather warnings on during the Panthers-Vikings game.

·
Registered
151 Posts
WNGS-LD (virtual channel 50) has added a feed of the ShopLC shopping channel on subchannel 6 in the Greenville-Spartanburg area. I assume it's also on WASV-LP in Asheville.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wonder if WNTV will met it's 12/30/20 deadline to move to it's new tower and transmitter? I'm getting lower singal readings from them. I figure it's because they have people working at the transmitter site.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
I wonder if WNTV will met it's 12/30/20 deadline to move to it's new tower and transmitter? I'm getting lower singal readings from them. I figure it's because they have people working at the transmitter site.
I thought they had an extension for the deadline to complete work in June or July next year. They are building a new tower on Paris Mountain and will significantly increase power. Right now I think they are on reduced power and a temporary antenna.

·
Registered
152 Posts
WHNS has come a long way since it was just an indy station carrying shows like Perry Mason, Slimer! & the Real Ghostbusters and Smurfs. That was of course, before getting the Fox affiliation. Then Fox got the NFL, and then the Panthers came into the league.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The first owner of WHNS was really successful with "It's Your Station" image marketing. It was the first time anyone really took an independent station seriously in the Upstate. They turned down the FOX network and it premiered on what was then WAXA (now WMYA). It was one of the later owners who put FOX on the air there.

(WNEG in Toccoa turned down FOX too.)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I thought they had an extension for the deadline to complete work in June or July next year. They are building a new tower on Paris Mountain and will significantly increase power. Right now I think they are on reduced power and a temporary antenna.
I'm still holding onto signal, but it's went down in recent months. 18-20dB, 30% signal. I'm around 67 miles away.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The first owner of WHNS was really successful with "It's Your Station" image marketing. It was the first time anyone really took an independent station seriously in the Upstate. They turned down the FOX network and it premiered on what was then WAXA (now WMYA). It was one of the later owners who put FOX on the air there.

(WNEG in Toccoa turned down FOX too.)
I remember 21 running Slimer! & the Real Ghostbusters opposite what was then the number one daytime drama, General Hospital. I remember the Icon Ghost more than the GH opening with the speeding ambulance.

·
Registered
935 Posts
21 ran many classic shows back then and i think they ran The Real Mccoys also. and then when 62 sign on they played many classic shows also such as I love lucy before they became a WB/UPN affialte then CW

·
Registered
302 Posts
WHNS was where I first saw The Fugitive with David Jenson. I'd tape it and my Dad and I would watch it while eating supper. The Fugitive and baseball were the only things my Dad and both liked on TV.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I found a link to that request on rabbitears. It hasn't granted yet, but I would imagine it would be.
WTCI(TV) – Request for Extension of Special Temporary Authority LMS File No. 117523 South Carolina Educational TV Commission (“SCETV”), licensee of noncommercial educational TV station WNTV(TV), Greenville, South Carolina (“WNTV”), hereby respectfully requests six months of additional special temporary authority to operate from temporary facilities on its post-auction channel (LMS File No. 117523) until such time as the station is able to construct and license its permanent post-auction facilities. As set forth herein, WNTV has been unable to construct its permanent facilities due to rare and exceptional circumstances beyond its control and thus continued STA is necessary. WNTV was assigned to transition from Channel 9 to Channel 8 in Phase 10 of the repack. WNTV’s transition plan calls for, among other things, replacement of the station’s transmitter and construction of a new tower for the station’s facilities. A structural study conducted early in the repack process determined that WNTV’s existing tower, built in the 1980s, was inadequate to meet the applicable TIA-222-G building standard. In fact, the engineering firm conducting the study recommended that the tower be decommissioned and torn down. Upon learning this, SCETV decided to look into purchasing land adjacent to the existing tower and to construct a new tower for WNTV’s permanent postrepack facilities. SCETV had been in discussions to purchase the property since summer of 2017, but its efforts ran into numerous internal and external delays, from state government processes to staff turnover at SCETV. SCETV resolved all of the outstanding real estate issues earlier in 2020 and has been working to complete the design, permitting, and construction of the new tower. SCETV hopes to complete these efforts in 2021. As of the date of this request, the NEPA study begun in the summer of 2019 has been completed, as has the ASR registration process. Site engineering is expected to be completed this month, at which time focus will shift do selection of a tower design and local pre-construction permitting. It is certain that the construction of WNTV’s permanent facilities will not occur before the December 30, 2020, expiration of WNTV’s construction permit and STA. By a separate filing, WNTV is requesting tolling of its repack construction permit. WNTV therefore requests an extension of its existing STA to allow it to provide continued service to its viewers pending construction of its permanent facilities.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
I think I read on rabbitears or the FCC site that WNTV may have increased their power about a month ago so they could maintain their former coverage area of RF9. Or at least they had a request. Apparently some of the cable systems were not able to receive the signal at the headend and the OTA signal was not quite reaching the previous contour. But it is not their full power yet just a moderate increase. When they go to the full power they will have one of the higher VHF power levels.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think I read on rabbitears or the FCC site that WNTV may have increased their power about a month ago so they could maintain their former coverage area of RF9. Or at least they had a request. Apparently some of the cable systems were not able to receive the signal at the headend and the OTA signal was not quite reaching the previous contour. But it is not their full power yet just a moderate increase. When they go to the full power they will have one of the higher VHF power levels.
For some reason the signal seems weaker here in Oconee County. I was getting higher signal strength readings two months ago.

13501 - 13520 of 13546 Posts