AVS Forum banner

13661 - 13680 of 13709 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
^I'm glad they got a new home. Their 3rd in the Upstate. Not quite as convenient for me since I have to change antennas to get WGGS. But at least I can still watch it.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Dale Gilbert was doing the weather this morning on WYFF but I didn't hear the explanation of why he's back. I figure he's just filling in.
Good to see him fill in. He was also on Friday morning filling in for that Parella woman; I believe she is on vacation. l miss Dale Gilbert and John Cessarich, but times change I guess.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
^I'm glad they got a new home. Their 3rd in the Upstate. Not quite as convenient for me since I have to change antennas to get WGGS. But at least I can still watch it.
What other channels now carry Get TV? I wish they had remained on WYCW as I get a good strong signal from RF11. I"m going to the attic to add a separate Low VHF antenna for RF2. WGGS was so much easier to receive when they were on UHF16. And I lost SBN when they were dropped from WJZY so I need to pull in 16.3/RF2.

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
What other channels now carry Get TV? I wish they had remained on WYCW as I get a good strong signal from RF11. I"m going to the attic to add a separate Low VHF antenna for RF2. WGGS was so much easier to receive when they were on UHF16. And I lost SBN when they were dropped from WJZY so I need to pull in 16.3/RF2.
I believe he was referring to the fact GET-TV was on two other Upstate channels previously before landing on 16.8

·
Registered
299 Posts
WCYB is a Sinclair station. So it would be nice if Sinclair would use this same logic for their Asheville station WLOS, another problematic VHF signal which broadcasts on RF13. They should go back to the simulcast of WLOS on sister station WMYA in the Upstate, although upcoming ATSC 3.0 changes may limit such plans, although it has yet to be revealed who the local Lighthouse station may be. But Sinclair and Nexstar are strong proponents, and Hearst is also a participant in the Pearl TV plans for Next gen TV. But only Sinclair has 2 RF channels to utilize, as WSPA and WYCW now share the same signal on RF11. But I remember how WLOS was much easier to receive when they were on UHF before they moved back to RF13.

This. If you are in the southern part of the upstate you basically cannot get WLOS period.
I'm near Anderson, SC and no matter what antenna and amp set up I use I cannot get a even somewhat reliable reception of WLOS. The last time I could receive WLOS was when they were simulcast on WMYA back in 2009.

·
Registered
158 Posts
^I worked at CBS affiliate and the above is why I hate March Madness with a passion. You get the same kind of game switching with it too. We would be left sitting there ready to start our 6pm news while CBS switched from game to game to game to game. And no matter which game they switched to we'd calls from people complaining about the switches.
I remember in 1996 WSPA had the Clemson game, but CBS kept switching to the UCLA-Princeton upset. I bet their switchboard got complaints about that one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The NFL is often weird.

On the double-header network, home team markets get full games of their teams, regardless. This means if the early game involves the home team, the local affiliate will stay with the game until it ends, no matter what. If the home team is playing the late game, this means the local affiliate will bail the early game for kickoff of the home team's late game ("home team" means the market's home team, whether they're playing at home or away). NOW.. non-home-team markets are flexible. If the early game's competitive, the affiliates assigned to that game will remain until the conclusion, then join the late game. If the early game's a blowout, the non-home-team markets will get moved to a more competitive early game and stay with THAT game until its conclusion UNLESS the late game is more important to that particular market... usually in terms of conference, rivalries and so forth. If that's the case, that market will be switched to the late game at a natural break.

Early-game-non-home-team overtime rules differ, as well, depending on whether the early game is assigned or JIP (often called "bonus coverage"). I'm not sure what it is, this year, but when I worked for CBS, an early "bonus coverage" overtime game could only be stayed with until the end of the first quarter of the late assigned game (again, non-home-team markets). For this to happen, the game had to go into overtime before the kickoff of the late assigned game.

WHEW.

Don't get me going on single-header network rules. Sometimes, they're just as confusing.
Asheville, Greenville-Spartanburg and all of NC and SC are "mandatory kickoff" stations for the Panthers. Could WHNS request to not be on that list if the Panthers were really godawful?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The Carolinas are the home states for the Panthers, so they have to get those games no matter how bad the record is later in the season. Much of Eastern New York has to deal with the same thing when it comes to the Jets and Giants ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
A channel filled nothing kids shows from their Litton Entertainment Division. Since it the produces almost all the shows the four networks show on Saturday morning they have enough product to fill a channel. (I'm joking. They'd never give those shows away for free)

·
Registered
189 Posts
A channel filled nothing kids shows from their Litton Entertainment Division. Since it the produces almost all the shows the four networks show on Saturday morning they have enough product to fill a channel. (I'm joking. They'd never give those shows away for free)
Technically, they already have something like that in the form of Xplore, but it's a digital only channel. Also, Litton doesn't actually make stations pay for their stuff. They pay the stations (or rather, the networks in the case of their CBS, NBC, and The CW blocks) for the airtime.

Personally, I couldn't be any less interested in that sort of thing. Litton shows are as cheap and bland as they get. OTA had (somewhat) superior product in the form of Qubo, but of course Scripps was quick to dump it after they bought Ion, so now the only kids diginet right now is PBS Kids (and TBN's Smile, but they've been dropping out of OTA since the spectrum auction), which is probably the best option for kids programming right now, besides MeTV's cartoons, which I'm really glad they managed to get, by the way.

·
Registered
189 Posts
^Ya'll did notice I said was joking, right?
I know, I was just pointing out that something like what you said really does exist (albeit not on OTA) which kinda killed the joke. That and the assumption that stations pay Litton to run their shows, which they don't.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My serious response is: NBC LX. Even though I know someone who's a reporter there I hope that's not what they picked. I don't need it on a broadcast station. It's available via streaming services and live on their own website. I'd like to see something that we don't already have.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Dale Gilbert was doing the weather this morning on WYFF but I didn't hear the explanation of why he's back. I figure he's just filling in.
Back when he Retired he said he will fill in from time to time. he might become a Freelance Meteorologist simmer to former WSPA weekend Meteorologist Mark Johnson as he fill in from time to time on Fox Carolina News WHNS

13661 - 13680 of 13709 Posts