AVS Forum banner

13681 - 13700 of 13709 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
WCYB is a Sinclair station. So it would be nice if Sinclair would use this same logic for their Asheville station WLOS, another problematic VHF signal which broadcasts on RF13. Although it may not be as difficult to receive as WCYB which is lower VHF. But they may not have any choices available even if they wanted to move, as the spectrum may be more crowded in the Upstate or western NC. They should go back to the simulcast of WLOS on sister station WMYA in the Upstate, although upcoming ATSC 3.0 changes may limit such plans, although it has yet to be revealed who the local Lighthouse station may be. But Sinclair and Nexstar are strong proponents, and Hearst is also a participant in the Pearl TV plans for Next gen TV. But only Sinclair has 2 RF channels to utilize, as WSPA and WYCW now share the same signal on RF11. But I remember how WLOS was much easier to receive when they were on UHF before they moved back to RF13.
it would been nice if WLOS could had remain on a UHF RF channel or if they could try get FCC let them increase their Parris Mountain Translator power for the upstate

·
Registered
955 Posts
Speaking of Mystery...I wish someone at WHNS would change identifier on 21.3 to say Mystery instead of Escape. I'd also like WGTA to fix the station ID on Decades to say 32.3 instead of 32.2. I have told WGTA about it but the haven't fixed it.
I think channel 9 charlotte channel 64 i think their still say Escape also

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
They can't increase their power, there's numerous other translators and LPTV signals on RF 31 that they would interfere with:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour...25076f917679172c0176ab4ddc7824d1&cir=&circen=

If WLOS really wanted to leave VHF, they could file for a Rule Making petition like some other VHF stations have done in recent months, but with how packed the surrounding area is between Atlanta, Columbia, Chattanooga, Charlotte, Augusta and Knoxville, there likely isn't a viable conflict free UHF option that would let them have a coverage area similar to the other major UHF stations in Greenville.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
WLOS reportedly has the highest TV transmission tower east of the Mississippi. So their tremendous height should theoretically provide an outstanding signal. But apparently the problem is due to the fact that their directional pattern is not optimized for Upstate SC. So there is a bit of a null that is subject to noise and interference.

So some strategic work regarding antenna placement, appropriate amplifier and filters may be necessary. You cant just put up some random panel antenna and expect it to come in. Although sometimes you may luck out with an 8-bay UHF antenna in a strong signal area. However normally a dedicated High VHF antenna may be required if minimal rabbit ears are insufficient.

One good compact choice is the RCA ANT751 made by Winegard. It has minimal High VHF dipoles that pull in RF13 at my location in Spartanburg when combined with a Winegard LNA100 inline amp. That is a minimal configuration that seems to work well. So you have to make an effort to do it the right way. Adding an FM filter also helps block interference in some cases. But beware the LNA200 preamp did not work, as it overloaded and added too much noise and interference. But the LNA100 inline amp worked excellent. Just do not confuse the LNA100 with the LNA200. In this case the LNA100 performed much better on all VHF signals.

Some reports suggest WLOS has a directional pattern to protect WBTW in Florence, which is also RF13. But that may or may not be correct. But there was a rumor a while back that WBTW was requesting to move from VHF to UHF, but I don't know if that is correct or if there is even a frequency available, as the spectrum is now more crowded since the repack.

But perhaps improvements may eventually come as ATSC 3.0 begins to launch in the Upstate. But it has yet to be revealed what those plans may be, or if Sinclair will use WMYA as the lighthouse station. But Sinclair is a leading proponent, along with Nexstar and Hearst who are all members the the Pearl TV consortium. But for viewers a Next Generation TV tuner or converter box will be required. But perhaps the lighthouse signal will provide better coverage for WLOS, but that remains to be seen.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Reactions: KyL416

·
Registered
967 Posts
WLOS reportedly has the highest TV transmission tower east of the Mississippi. So their tremendous height should theoretically provide an outstanding signal. But apparently the problem is due to the fact that their directional pattern is not optimized for Upstate SC. So there is a bit of a null that is subject to noise and interference.

So some strategic work regarding antenna placement, appropriate amplifier and filters may be necessary. You cant just put up some random panel antenna and expect it to come in. Although sometimes you may luck out with an 8-bay UHF antenna in a strong signal area. However normally a dedicated High VHF antenna may be required if minimal rabbit ears are insufficient.

One good compact choice is the RCA ANT751 made by Winegard. It has minimal High VHF dipoles that pull in RF13 at my location in Spartanburg when combined with a Winegard LNA100 inline amp. That is a minimal configuration that seems to work well. So you have to make an effort to do it the right way. Adding an FM filter also helps block interference in some cases. But beware the LNA200 preamp did not work, as it overloaded and added too much noise and interference. But the LNA100 inline amp worked excellent. Just do not confuse the LNA100 with the LNA200. In this case the LNA100 performed much better on all VHF signals.

Some reports suggest WLOS has a directional pattern to protect WBTW in Florence, which is also RF13. But that may or may not be correct. But there was a rumor a while back that WBTW was requesting to move from VHF to UHF, but I don't know if that is correct or if there is even a frequency available, as the spectrum is now more crowded since the repack.

But perhaps improvements may eventually come as ATSC 3.0 begins to launch in the Upstate. But it has yet to be revealed what those plans may be, or if Sinclair will use WMYA as the lighthouse station. But Sinclair is a leading proponent, along with Nexstar and Hearst who are all members the the Pearl TV consortium. But for viewers a Next Generation TV tuner or converter box will be required. But perhaps the lighthouse signal will provide better coverage for WLOS, but that remains to be seen.

WLOS pattern per FCC

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
The WLOS pattern looks like it is optimized more towards Western NC and Tennessee rather than Upstate SC. I think their old analog pattern was more omnidirectional, but I don't exactly remember. Anyhow, it can be received but just requires some precision work and the proper antenna. The other VHF channel WSPA is easier to get as it seems more omnidirectional and can even be pulled in with a 2-bay or 8-bay UHF antenna.

Fortunately my set up uses separate antennas in the attic and pulls in WLOS no problem, as well as WSOC 9.1 and 9.5, and the other Charlotte and GSP signals. Eventually I want to add the HD Homerun Next Gen network tuners or maybe a Televes Avant X to blend everything together without interference or dropouts. Right now I have an A/B switch necessary for certain signals. But my Charlotte antennas also pull in WSPA, WYFF, and WHNS so I am satisfied with that for now, as my GSP antenna only adds WLOS, WGGS, and a few other low power signals.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think their old analog pattern was more omnidirectional, but I don't exactly remember.
It was non-directional, click the "Ownership, Repack, Historical, and Translator Data" link under the entry for WLOS at RabbitEars and you'll find information about their final analog signal along with information about their transitional DTV signal, and the steps involved in their election to keep RF 13:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=56537#station

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Spartanburg has several other VHF signals, the main signal of WSPA (and WYCW) is on RF 11, pre-repack they were on RF 7, and WGGS, who sold their UHF 16 spectrum in the auction, is now on RF 2.

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Pretty sure SBG is short for Sinclair Broadcasting Group. And at one time, that was true. Then Sinclair went on a buying spree. They own more VHFs now, and they're trying to move a number of them up to UHF as well.

- Trip

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Spartanburg has several other VHF signals, the main signal of WSPA (and WYCW) is on RF 11, pre-repack they were on RF 7, and WGGS, who sold their UHF 16 spectrum in the auction, is now on RF 2.
And SCETV is on RF8. WSPA and SCETV are pretty easy to receive, but WLOS and WGGS are more problematic and require precision work with a proper antenna.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Has anybody heard when ATSC 3.0 will launch in Greenville-Spartanburg? And what the Lighthouse station will be? Or has this been decided yet? Many main markets are launching this summer, including Charlotte. Perhaps this may help with the WLOS reception problem in the Upstate, depending upon the channel that is utilized. But of course it will require a special converter box or a newer built in TV tuner. But Sinclair and Nexstar are reportedly leading proponents, and Hearst is also participating, according to Pearl TV. So it suggests the major affiliates will be participating, whenever the time will be.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The only thing known so far is that Spartanburg is on the list for Fall 2021 on the Watch NextGenTV site. None of your stations have made any of the required NextGen filings with the FCC, which have to be granted before they make the switch.

Also frankly, when Sinclair is involved, take any launch date you'll see on air or on the station's website with a grain of salt until the FCC actually approves their plan. In several markets like Columbus OH, San Antonio, DC and Baltimore they started promoting dates for the switch before they even made their FCC filing, and in some of them once they finally made that filing, they hit a roadblock because their ATSC 1.0 simulcast plans didn't pass the FCC's 95% coverage requirements, so they had to submit revised plans and delay their launch.

Greenville-Spartansburg-Asheville-Anderson is also going to be a challenging DMA because of how scattered your stations are preventing some of them from meeting the 95% coverage requirements for ATSC 1.0 simulcast hosts. So don't be surprised if it just ends up being one of the LPTV signals that are exempt from the ATSC 1.0 simulcast requirements, like Edge Spectrum's W41BQ (soon to be W22EY-D) who already expressed their intentions to convert a bunch of the LPTV stations they purchased from 3ABN to ATSC 3.0 in a recent CP extension filing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
WLOS is on an island of its own. There isn't a station to pair up with them to convert to ATSC 3.0.
I don't know if PBS NC can convert any of their main stations to ATSC 3.0. They have a mandate to cover 100 counties in NC.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeah, looking at the various maps, WMYA as an ATSC 3.0 host might be problematic too because they transmit further south, so a lot of their southern coverage is in unique areas outside of the other stations' contours, which might put any ATSC 1.0 simulcasts under the 95% threshold, even after they bring the translators into the mix. Like the southern and eastern parts of WMYA's Minimum Field Strength contour is outside of the Noise-Limited Bounding Contour for WHNS, WSPA, and WYFF.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It appears Tenga's new Twist network is supposed premiere tomorrow. WYFF is not listed as an affiliate. Their map doesn't show an affiliate here. So it's still a guessing game as to what WYFF is doing.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It appears Tenga's new Twist network is supposed premiere tomorrow. WYFF is not listed as an affiliate. Their map doesn't show an affiliate here. So it's still a guessing game as to what WYFF is doing.
since WYFF is owned by Hearst and not Tegna I can see that

Even all Tegna owned stations arent adding it at launch. KARE Minneapolis, MN isn't adding it right away (they have 4 subs already)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeah, Tegna is only launching it in 41 of their 51 markets, WNEP Scranton also isn't getting it because they already had to drop their .3 station so they can host the local PBS station's channels. The rest of Twist's initial carriage is coming from Univision (who Tegna already has a deal with for True Crime and Quest) and HC2's LPTV signals, and neither of them have stations in the Greenville DMA.

13681 - 13700 of 13709 Posts